Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

NewJack

Practically Family
Gents! Picked this Cavanaugh from EBay. Thought it may not only be vintage but rare (as far as my minimal knowledge is concerned!) I've never seen this OR style of Cavanaugh! [huh] 5 1/2inch crown, 2 inch brim. The felt is from yet malleable, takes a shape with no steam (tried my hand at shaping...) Strong feeling from the 50s but other thoughts and comments welcomed! Thanx!

What a delight to see that YOU won that lid, NewJ!! It IS VERY special. Wear it in good health, and for a long time!

P.S. I still wear a classic topcoat I have from that store in Beantown.

tommyK

One Too Many
Great hat, NewJack!

If I recall from BradBowers with that type of tag and no block "height" indicated means it's 60's. Doesn't take away from this beauty! Cavanagh quality can't be beat!

NewJack

Practically Family
What a delight to see that YOU won that lid, NewJ!! It IS VERY special. Wear it in good health, and for a long time!

P.S. I still wear a classic topcoat I have from that store in Beantown.

hatsRme: You're kidding! Thanx! Goes to show we have the same tastes!! :D I thought it was a unique find (for me, anyway)! ;)

NewJack

Practically Family
Great hat, NewJack!

If I recall from BradBowers with that type of tag and no block "height" indicated means it's 60's. Doesn't take away from this beauty! Cavanagh quality can't be beat!

tommyK: Thanks! And you know that! Finding any quality Cavanaugh that fits our noggin is definitely a joy! I read some of BradBowers' history and found the same. Whatta wealth of information! He's one of my go-to's for hat history!

tommyK

One Too Many
NewJack, any hat with a Cavanagh edge or "felted edge" is also a good get as it isn't being done anymore. To the non-hat person it may look like a sewn overwelt at a glance but it is actually something much more special.

NewJack

Practically Family
NewJack, any hat with a Cavanagh edge or "felted edge" is also a good get as it isn't being done anymore. To the non-hat person it may look like a sewn overwelt at a glance but it is actually something much more special.

Indeed, it is! Indeed, it is! In my neck of the Jersey woods, many recognize that I'm wearing lids but simply unaware of them being vintage or simply new or hand made! The Cavanaugh details are far from their unfamiliarity! But if they ask, I'm certainly able to share based on what I've learned from the hat scholars in this forum! ;)

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Having a good time with my Cavanagh...

b1e48610-8a79-4883-a167-9fc6788db0eb.jpg

bcaadc15-eb34-47ef-857f-3f8a1bfdf015.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Just saw that a Cavanagh boater owned by the Duke of Windsor sold at auction earlier this year for £2200 ($3386 USD). The Duke of Windsor was a regular customer at John Cavanagh, Ltd.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Cavanagh Panamagh

Out of season purchase but with flowers blooming and Buffalo forecast to reach 70 today, not out of mind... a newly acquired montecristi sold by Cavanagh. I was surprised to be joined by only three other bidders on this one, which sold at auction for $100. Era unknown to me but likely post-war to 1950. This is the highest quality straw hat I have handled that was branded to one of the major hat companies. The weave is very even and measures 32-35 crossings/inch horizontally. 2 3/4" brim, 1 1/8" ribbon with bow that is hooked into place like a puggaree. No price or tags other than the handwritten stickers shown below. In excellent condition with no evidence of having been sold to a consumer, it will need to be steamed, shaped and flanged to return it to original form after decades of storage.

cavapanama1.jpg

cavapanama2.jpg

cavapanama3.jpg

cavapanama4.jpg

cavapanama5.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Montecristi, Alan. I was watching that one, and am glad to see it go to a good home. I suspect it's from later in the 1950s, as I don't remember seeing the gold Cavanagh script on a sweatband earlier than mid-decade or so. They filed on that script image in 1950, but I don't know exactly when they started using it. Their "First use in commerce" date is 1913, but the image seems to be related more to the sweatband debossment than anything else.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24