Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cheese thread

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I'm a Stilton man myself, the King of blue cheeses in my opinion.

I've never said no to a nice toasted Brie on a chilly day with a Chianti or a sweet Merlot, but a Stilton fondue, crumbled stilton on a ribeye, stilton in a salad, that's the stuff.

You?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Stilton burger

I saw an episode of the Britcom "Chef" a long time ago, and the theme of the whole story was Stilton cheese. I went out and got some and was immediately converted. My Stilton burger consists of a good ground chuck burger, cooked however you like it, placed on a whole wheat bun, with a big gob, as big as will fit, of melted Stilton, a fat slice of really ripe tomato (preferably in season, i.e. late summer), and a good steak sauce. I had a jar of amazing Amish tomato relish years ago that was the ultimate, but since then the best I've found (tho still not as good) is the very excellent Peter Luger Steak Sauce, from the Peter Luger Steak House restaurant, which is available in stores in the New York area..
Juicy and delicious! One method of doing this is by making two thin burgers, placing the cheese in the middle, and pinching the two halves together, with the cheese inside.
Another cheese creation I love, I discovered when I had fig trees in my back yard in Brooklyn. Take a really ripe black turkey fig, a big hunk of Reggiano Parmesano, and wrap it in Prosciutto. Mama mia!
I just bought a hunk of Stilton at a local beer and cheese store, and was presented with an official BBC America coffee mug. Some sort of promotion. Whatever. Nice mug, great cheese.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Two:
Loraine and a nice swiss.

Loraine tastes awful alone, but with food, its a wonder. Im always a sucker for a good swiss.

LD

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Ohhh, dear.

I love gorzonzola. Pasta with gorgonzola sauce! Gorgonzola crumbles on a fresh, garden salad! *dies*

I'm also a big fan of brie. I just use it in place of butter, since it's so fatty. Baked brie with a bittersweet berry sauce is absolutely amazing, too!

Yum, yum...:eusa_clap

Edit:
Oh, and Dubliner, too. I honestly just chop off chunks of the stuff and eat it alone...*blush*

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Cooper CV Sharp

The Cooper CV Sharp has always been a favourite of mine. I had some this evening for dinner in a dish that has a chunk of Cooper Sharp wrapped in a split chicken breast, which itself is wrapped with bacon. Oh, what a taste sensation! :essen:

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I wouldn't say it's my Favorite favorite, but I love Wensleydale with a bit of brack. Mmm!!

wallace_gromit_qjpreviewth.jpg

And sharp cheddar. And brie. And gruy?®re...

KilroyCD said:
The Cooper CV Sharp has always been a favourite of mine. I had some this evening for dinner in a dish that has a chunk of Cooper Sharp wrapped in a split chicken breast, which itself is wrapped with bacon. Oh, what a taste sensation! :essen:

OMG...what could be tastier than sharp with BACON 'n chicken! I also die for cold shaved turkey with BABY SWISS....and I must confess to even an affection for a Quizno's Cob Salad..sprinkled with bleu....
CheesePlease.............
HD

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm obsessed with cheese and always have been. I will just cut hunks off and eat it as is all day. I also love all types but my greatest favourites would be Stilton (with water crackers and slices of pear) or a really sharp cheddar (the kind that takes the roof off of your mouth). Mainland Cheeses in NZ do the best sharp cheddar, IIRC it's called Vintage or Reserve or something or other. If you can get Kiwi cheeses where you live buy it, great stuff.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I think the cheese that, for me, endures the most is fresh mozzarella. Then there's Parmigiano Reggiano; it's not just for grating anymore.

It is hard to pick any one style or favorite.

Some cheeses I buy regularly:

Stilton- for dessert with a LBV Port.
Savarin- something new for me, very creamy ripe cheese.
Limburger- sliced over toasted rye and sprinkled with scallion slices.
Sap Sago- grated over spatzle or buttered noodles (unusual) very good.
Trappist style- (ie. Chimay) with, what else, a Trappist beer.
Haloumi- I order out. Pan fried Greek cheese, unique texture.
Manchego- with crackers and Rioja.
Gorganzola*- with polenta.
*You can make your own. To a pot, simply add your gorgon and then stir in your zola. But never put the zola in first, or you'll wind up with zolagorgon,,,, and there's no such thing. Paraphrased from Benny Hill as Julia Child.

One cheese I particularly didn't like was Gjetost. It looks like a bar of brown soap, but in a good way. My father liked it and I really tried to also, but I just couldn't get past the powerful aromatics.

And remember if it's Gouda nuff for me it's good enough for you!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I must confess.... I'm a cheese-a-holic. Some people like chocolate. I like cheese. :eek:

My standard cheese for putting on a sammich is Tillamook sharp cheddar. (We went to the Tillamook factory on vacation a couple years ago.... that should tell you something!)

I also love havarti, Jarlsburg, muenster, bleu, gorgonzola, double gloucester (with a sliced pear for breakfast!! :eusa_clap)..... and the list goes on.

We discovered a "new" cheese on our honeymoon - applewood smoked cheddar. OHMY! Smoky, slightly sweet, tangy. Made my mouth sing!!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
We just finished up our Vacherin for the year with company last Saturday. It's an annual Chirstmas-time purchase and I start salivating for it around October.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Mmmm, cheese...I'm the "Cheese Fiend" at my house, and can easily make a meal out of nothing but cheese.

I love too many kinds to enumerate, but some of my favorites are very sharp Cheddars. My all-time favorite cheese, though, if I could only have one cheese for the rest of my life, would be Jarlsberg. I love the buttery, nutty flavor and the gratifying texture as I bite into it.

Brad

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
Mmmm, cheese...I'm the "Cheese Fiend" at my house, and can easily make a meal out of nothing but cheese.

I love too many kinds to enumerate, but some of my favorites are very sharp Cheddars. My all-time favorite cheese, though, if I could only have one cheese for the rest of my life, would be Jarlsberg. I love the buttery, nutty flavor and the gratifying texture as I bite into it.

Brad

:eek:fftopic: If you can find lebanon bologna in your area, pair it with the Jarlsberg. The meat has a smoky-citrus flavor that is great with the cheese. MMMMM!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Babydoll said:
I must confess.... I'm a cheese-a-holic. Some people like chocolate. I like cheese. :eek:

I posed that question to a friend of mine, Chocolate or Cheese, and their head nearly exploded. lol

LD

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
If you can find lebanon bologna in your area, pair it with the Jarlsberg. The meat has a smoky-citrus flavor that is great with the cheese. MMMMM!

Oh my, that sounds fantastic! According to Seltzer's website, a local grocer here carries their Lebabon Bologna. I'll pick some up and some Jarlsberg, bake a loaf of hearth bread, and wash it all down with a bottle of Hoegaarden. What a plan for the weekend.

This thread is as bad as the steak thread for making me hungry.:)

Thanks for the tip!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo