Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cheese thread

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Parmesan...sprinkled over a slice of pizza...or spaghetti...or alfredo...or penne...or lasagna...or chicken catchatori...or or or or...

matei

One Too Many
Stilton is indeed nice, depends on the makers though.

I recently tried Banon, and it was a rather intense cheese experience. Lovely taste.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
SamMarlowPI said:
oh my goodness...thats the best idea of the century...my mouth is watering lol

You've never tried it? I like to put it in little cubes at a time, so it doesn't have time to melt, because when it melts, it just thins down the sauce & I cant taste the cheese. Or should I say "cheese product"?

pgoat

One Too Many
I sorta do this once in a while - but using manchego or romano - I use the large opening side of the grater. Nice change of pace from the usual smaller grinds.

$ally

One Too Many
KilroyCD said:
What we need is a chocolate cheese for us chocoholic cheeseheads!
Just for you http://store.wfucheese.com/chchfu8oz.html
I remember a chocolate coated cheese in my childhood. I'll have to ask my brothers if they remember it.

My favorite fondue recipe consists of very well aged swiss melted in an fondue pot with dry white wine, kirsch, garlic, nutmeg, paprika and some corn starch. I use squares of hard bread to dunk, and have a couple wonderful vintage fondue fork sets. Add a little candlelight + violin + handsome man = yeah baby.

Mojito

One Too Many
I always thought my father, who loves his food, should have been a cheese gourmet. He's the sort of bloke who should be debating the merits of a good Camembert over a good Brie, or holding forth on which port tastes best with which Stilton. Unfortunately, he loathes it - a legacy of growing up with wartime rationing in Oz and in post-war Britain in the 50s. All that were available were vast blocks of inedible chedder, and now it all tastes like soap to him.

Apparently in illustration of the Yin/Yang principle of balance, my mother loves cheese in direct proportion to his loathing. Thank goodness. Not only was I exposed to lots of types of cheese growing up, she's also introduced my sister's kiddies to it. Before he could talk, my baby nephew had developed a preference for Roaring 40s Blue, and would reject other blue cheeses.

I miss French and British cheese - there's a good range here of excellent quality, but unfortunately pastuerization regulations have somewhat hindered the riper flavours. It was while I was living in London that I started eating cheese with pieces of bread torn off a French stick - I now prefer that to crackers. I went through a phase where the ultimate indulgence (think creamy and fatty and rich) was a blue Brie on top of goose liver pate. Unfortunately, the pate is now out of the question because I learned about the conditions in which the geese were kept.

Do the English and Americans share the Aussie fondness for a strong cheese (preferably a blue, but mature chedders also work wonderfully with it) on a cracker with quince paste? Or plum and some of the other pastes that have become popular? It seems to be a refinement of the stilton/pear or apple idea. Maggie Beer does a lovely range of the fruit pastes.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
A few Americans have tried and liked strong cheeses with fruit quinces and jellies and butters, sure.

But the most popular strong cheese & fruit combination in America is a slice of warm apple pie smothered in a sharp cheddar. A well-loved comfort food, especially in the Northeastern states.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
You've never tried it? I like to put it in little cubes at a time, so it doesn't have time to melt, because when it melts, it just thins down the sauce & I cant taste the cheese. Or should I say "cheese product"?

i sure will now!! red sauce or white or both?

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Wow Spatterdash!!! I would love to try this apple pie with cheddar!!!! I've never heard about it!!!! I really like to try new things... Is it a traditional recipe? Do you eat it frequently? Here in some regions in France we eat cheese with dark cherry marmalade... I love to make a combination with salt and sugar!!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
pennycarrol said:
Is it a traditional recipe? Do you eat it frequently? Here in some regions in France we eat cheese with dark cherry marmalade... I love to make a combination with salt and sugar!!

it's been around since forever...warm slice of apple pie(homebaked is the best) with a slice of melting cheddar on top...mm mm good...

dnjan

One Too Many
I think that the cheddar-apple pie thing is somewhat regional. I spent almost 30 years living in the Midwest (Chicago and south of there), and never heard of it.

However, since trying it I definitely like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters