Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cheese thread

alphy27

One of the Regulars
cheeeeeeese!

Give me a lovely fully ripened triple cream Brie any day! I could(and have) eat the whole wheel myself. Has any one tried smoked Gruy?®re. It is a delicious cheese for snacking. Alas my local market stopped carrying it. I must begin the hunt.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
oh, man....

when i lived near Normandy in France, we ate camembert after dinner every single night.

i am duly spoiled and have yet to find an equal to the white divinity of normandy cows...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i remember going to The Olive Garden a long time ago and you know when they bring your food they have the Romano in the grater...so he says "say when, sir" and starts grating...and grating...and grating...my mother is looking at me like i've lost my mind...and grating..."ok, thats good"...yum.

TessTrueheart

I can not live without cheese. The Danish cheeses: Havarti, Sorte Sara, Gamle Ole, Danbo... Yummy.

And then there is Camenbert and Brie De Meaux....

An fried Halloumi!

And of course, let's not forget the Swedish christmas special, a piece of gorgonzola on a gingerbread cookie with a slice of banana on top. Oh, it should be christmas all year around!

Moby

Familiar Face
Great, I just joined FL to talk to my new friends about vintage watches and clothing and all things "Golden Age" and here I am in the Cheese forum! Ha! Ha! I love anything smelly and sharp. Asiago, provolone, roquefort, you name it.

But, now a question for the cheese experts. I was in a French restaurant, owned by a friend of mine. He brought us a sample of a goat cheese to see if we liked it. Wow! It was awful to me. It tasted and smelled like a wet dog. I could not eat that cheese. Anyways since then I have tasted other goat chesses and they were pretty good. Any idea what the "wet dog" goat cheese was? Was that normal? Was it spoiled? And please I mean no offense to any goat cheese lovers. Thanks!

Josephine

One Too Many
We recently got a Stilton, have have been eating it spread on a baguette, with a "pink" wine (by Barefoot Winery?) The Husband picked out. He said the Stilton wasn't as good as the one his friends got and shared recently, so I guess it means we just have to get more. Oh well!

And we picked up some caramelized onion cheddar. Divine!

$ally

One Too Many
I just picked up some Scottish cheddar marbled with porter for valentine's :essen:

This weekend I'm going make a spread for crackers of cream cheese, mild chipotle salsa, and sweet raspberries.

rumblefish

One Too Many
$ally said:
I just picked up some Scottish cheddar marbled with porter for valentine's :essen:

This weekend I'm going make a spread for crackers of cream cheese, mild chipotle salsa, and sweet raspberries.

When and where?:essen: Not that I'd interfere with your Valentine's plans. You can leave mine on the porch or the mail box,,,,, and I'll take the hot chipotle salsa :whistling

dnjan

One Too Many
Moby said:
But, now a question for the cheese experts. I was in a French restaurant, owned by a friend of mine. He brought us a sample of a goat cheese to see if we liked it. Wow! It was awful to me. It tasted and smelled like a wet dog. I could not eat that cheese. Anyways since then I have tasted other goat chesses and they were pretty good. Any idea what the "wet dog" goat cheese was? Was that normal? Was it spoiled? And please I mean no offense to any goat cheese lovers. Thanks!

My goat cheese problem is worse than that. I cannot eat (tolerate the taste of) any goat cheeses. I have tried multiple times, and have even had friends gives me tastes of the mildest goat cheeses they were aware of. My problem is that I pick up the "gaminess" in the flavour, and really don't like it. Most sheep cheeses are OK, but there are a few (possibly blended sheep and goat milk?) that are too much as well.

Perhaps the cheese you were offered was just on the wrong side of your "gaminess" limit.

$ally

One Too Many
A spread recipe for the stilton fans:
3 oz stilton cheese, crumbled
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 bunch watercress
2 chives chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
Directions: Mix the stilton cheese, cream cheese and butter in a med-size bowl until blended. Mix in watercress, onions and walnuts. Serve on thinly sliced bagget.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I could swoon! I thread about cheese! I adore them all it seems, but I'm trying to remain in the dark about a lot of them. Another expensive habit I don't need! But, right now I'm obsessed with a brie made semi-locally...a farm in Vermont...and now I can't find their cheese stocked in any of my local stores!

dnjan

One Too Many
southern Hemisphere Cheeses

At our next wine-tasting, the group decided to taste Cabs from the southern Hemisphere. I always bring cheese, and would like to find 2 or 3 southern-hemisphere cheddars. Any suggestions? Especially for cheeses that I might be able to find in Seattle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou