Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cleaning Clothes (vintage or other) Thread

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Ladystardust, I would get them dry cleaned by someone who is sympathetic to delicate garments. Try dropping in to speak to someone or call them first to explain that you have vintage (old!) outfits you want cleaned. If they are understanding and listen to what you have to say, ask you questions about the garment then you are more likely to have a good experience than somewhere that says, yeah, it'll be fine just drop them in etc etc.

I said in my last post, I WOULDN'T handwash a lined suit unless I thought it was the only possible way to clean it. The lining can shrink and pull it all out of shape. Dry cleaning will not remove alcohol stains, only washing can help with this but most marks will come out if you ask them to spot treat them first. I am lucky - I have never had anything ruined by being dry cleaned. If your things are in good condition, there's no reason they shouldn't be fine if treated gently. It is only if it is very delicate or you are in doubt about the condition of the fabric eg/dry rot that I would hold on cleaning.

Hope that's helpful!

Shearer

Practically Family
As long as this thread is up...

Anyone have any secret potions or products they've tried for spot cleaning?

I recently got an auction dress that was listed as excellent vintage condition (uh huh, we've all been there before... buyer beware!) and was a little sad to see a few purplish spots on it when it arrived. I'm not holding my breath here, because from personal experience they look suspiciously like Cabernet stains :D Odds are if spots haven't been removed in 50+ years they aren't coming out now, but I'll still give it a go. I'm masochistic that way ;)

Grace

Vendor
BIZ! I've had Biz take out stains that I thought would never come out. I make a paste with it, put it on the stain, and let it sit for a few hours. At the very least, the stains have faded. I've had Biz remove years of the worst underarm funk. Never on wool or silk, but I've use it on everything else, including a 1930s rayon taffeta dress.

Shearer

Practically Family
Thanks!

Oh, I forgot about making pastes with powder products... that really does work. I shall have to try it... I don't have Biz, but if none of my regular stuff works, I'll pick some up.

(It's one of my many idiosyncrasies, but I can't stand the laundry detergent aisle at the store :eek: I hate the smell, I'm always buying non-scented stuff.)

drkfrau

New in Town
Vintage Clothing Care

I recently found and bought an original 1920's nightgown. How should I care for it? Can I wash it in the washing machine? Or should I wash it by hand? It's all cotton with white-on-white embroidery on it? Any thoughts?

Michele

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I would wash it by hand.

Honestly I have a lot of vintage dresses that I've worn many times and have never washed. I just don't sweat in them (or if I do, I hand wash that area in my sink) and be very careful not to get them dirty.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
I would wash it by hand.

Honestly I have a lot of vintage dresses that I've worn many times and have never washed. I just don't sweat in them (or if I do, I hand wash that area in my sink) and be very careful not to get them dirty.

Be careful with this. If you don't wash vintage items after wearing, the sweat/body funk can change color and stain over time. Even if you can't notice it, it's still there in the fabric. I've put vintage dresses away that I thought were clean, only to pull them out of the closet after a year and they are stained. Any sweat/body funk will cause the fabric to yellow over time.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
Be careful with this. If you don't wash vintage items after wearing, the sweat/body funk can change color and stain over time. Even if you can't notice it, it's still there in the fabric. I've put vintage dresses away that I thought were clean, only to pull them out of the closet after a year and they are stained. Any sweat/body funk will cause the fabric to yellow over time.

I do wash the armpit areas if I've sweat in them though, just not the whole dress. So far I haven't had any issues, but thanks for the tip!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I would wash that particular item by hand due to the age and general delicacy of nightwear. I admit I do not handwash all of my vintage (for example rayon blouses or 50s cotton dresses) which I probably should :eusa_doh:

drkfrau

New in Town
Vintage Clothing Care

Thank you to all of you who replied to my question:) I was terribly worried about washing the gown in the machine. The gown is nearly 100 yrs. old and I thought that the fabric might fall apart. I have worn it already twice.

I'll follow your advice about washing it by hand.

Michele

Laraquan

Familiar Face
I'm sorry to be so naieve, but I just never was taught how to hand wash. When I've attempted to, I've just added the fabrics into the tub with some water and washing powder and rubbed it a little. I've no idea how it's meant to be done!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
I do wash the armpit areas if I've sweat in them though, just not the whole dress. So far I haven't had any issues, but thanks for the tip!

I'd be careful about only washing particular areas of a garment. This will cause those areas to fade faster than the rest of the garment!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I'd be careful about only washing particular areas of a garment. This will cause those areas to fade faster than the rest of the garment!

My other concern with this is that depending on the type of fabric, it will leave water marks as well.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
To handwash items, I usually use a little bit of Woolite (whatever amount they recommend on the package, and some hot or cold water (depending on the fabric - cold water will keep the fabric from fading as much, but hot water is better at getting out stains) in a tub. I then add the dress and gently swirl it around in the water for 2 minutes. Real Simple magazine once had an article on handwashing that said most of the dirt is removed in the first two minutes of handwashing so I use that as a guide. You may have to further scrub any heavy stains that are on the dress. To rinse, I empty the tub and add more clean water and swirl the garment around for an additional 2 minutes. I may do this twice just to make sure all of the soap is gone. I then dump the water out of the tub and press the garment gently against the side of the tub to get excess water out of it. Wringing the water out of the fabric tends to make it wrinkly and can be hard on delicate fabric so I try to avoid wringing. Then I hang it up on the closeline to dry.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
When handwashing items, I've found that using a nail brush works well for stain scrubbing.

Also, for delicate vintage items, I would be careful about hanging them to dry. Water in an item adds a lot of weight and could put extra strain on the seams. I will dry vintage items flat and then hang them once they're merely damp, which is enough to release many of the wrinkles.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
KittyT said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a bath tub, so I don't have too much choice. So far I haven't had any problems. I've only done this with cotton dresses and haven't had any fading or any water marks left behind.

Dry cleaning is a big no-no, right? What about the ones that are geared towards vintage clothing (I remember Lauren or someone else saying there was one in Pasadena)? Are those a only once in awhile thing or okay to use often?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a bath tub, so I don't have too much choice. So far I haven't had any problems. I've only done this with cotton dresses and haven't had any fading or any water marks left behind.

Well the fading wouldn't be visible right away, but over a period of time, you might notice it.

I wash stuff in my bathroom sink. Kitchen sink is bigger and would also work. Or you can buy a plastic bucket or bin at the store and use that!

Dry cleaning is a big no-no, right? What about the ones that are geared towards vintage clothing (I remember Lauren or someone else saying there was one in Pasadena)? Are those a only once in awhile thing or okay to use often?

Really? I haven't heard that. I take most of my vintage stuff to the cleaners. This is because I have ruined a couple of vintage items that shrunk with hand washing.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:

I just use one of those plastic dishpans placed in my utility sink, you don't need a bathtub.

Or you could just fill your sink up and use a plug or use a big cooking pot even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner