Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Cockpit" Mil Spec G1… one week old but water-vintaged…with pics

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks everybody for your comments.

Butte, I think your jacket look s fine. You can tell from the close-ups that your sample is a quality jacket. I also like the contrast between collar and leather. Very classic!

Some facts and opinions.

- The jacket was bought from the German end of Original Flightjackets. They should have all models and sizes in stock as far as I am concerned. As I said before I've received a superb service.
- As Scott has pointed out correctly sometimes the "grab and go'" jackets offer more fun than the super duper The Few or LostWorldsInc jackets. Even if those are meant to be treated roughly you simply don't because they represent a certain value. This doesn't mean that I can't appreciated my B2 or any other Aero or Eastman... It's just nice to wear something of good quality where you don't have think about losing or damaging it all the time. PLUS I know that the jacket is mil spec so it should last a good while...
- Kojax, thanks for your reply and your PM. I agree, the quality of this jacket is surprisingly high and the stitching is flawless on my sample. Currently this is my only size 38 jacket (apart from peacoats!) I usually take a size 40 in leather jackets..

kojax

Practically Family
i wear my cockpit g1 vintage goatskin alot. more i wear it the more i like it. the broken in goatskin feels good to wear. i am looking at a special cockpit usa a2 jacket they made the horsehide is broken in . i will let you know

nissle

New in Town
I really like how your g1 turned out, especially the mouton collar. It took me about five minutes before i broke down and ordered one.
BTW, are those Iron Ranger or Beckmans? i really love the color.
thanks again for sharing your results.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks, Nissle! Those boots are Iron Rangers fitted with a self-made false tongue and leather laces.

Here's a better pic:

6563674733_f75fac3ff5_z.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Interesting read, this thread. In the Spring I'm going to get hold of a new M422a, which I plan to have tarted up with some AVG regalia. Been toying with the idea of a plain one, though, for kicking about in. These look like a viable option, if one turns up at the right price. Any information on sizes? Anyone know the actual measurements of a size 42?

pauleway

Practically Family
Interesting read, this thread. In the Spring I'm going to get hold of a new M422a, which I plan to have tarted up with some AVG regalia. Been toying with the idea of a plain one, though, for kicking about in. These look like a viable option, if one turns up at the right price. Any information on sizes? Anyone know the actual measurements of a size 42?

I normally wear a size 42, but these jackets run a little small and mine is a 44 and fits perfect!

Capesofwrath

Practically Family

I had an Eastman one a couple of years ago. It was a 42 and measured 22" chest. 19' shoulders 25" length including knits, and 25" arms including knits.

It was too tight for me really even though I did stretch the chest by an inch and I could only wear it over a light shirt easily so I didn't keep it long.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Sounds like accurate-to-milspec fitting.... I am, somewhat reluctantly, I think, going to have to part with an Aero AN6552 in 42 that is just too tight (I can zip it up, but it's like a sausage skin, and the knits are at their limit...). Not sure whether I shouldn't even be considering a 46 in this pattern, though I am working on losing a bit of weight over the next few months. (The Thirties Halfbelt is a great way pf measuring this - when it gets a bit on the tight side, it's time to watch the diet again!).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice work Edward bumping this thread as I missed this the first time around.

That's a really great looking G-1 Jan.

And Edward, looking forward to seeing your Flying Tigers jacket when you get it going, any particular unit you'll be patching it as?

thor

Call Me a Cab
Edward, you said you were getting a new M-422a in the spring; what manufacturer are you getting it from?

Edward

Bartender
Nice work Edward bumping this thread as I missed this the first time around.

That's a really great looking G-1 Jan.

And Edward, looking forward to seeing your Flying Tigers jacket when you get it going, any particular unit you'll be patching it as?

Third Pursuit group. Won't really be histolrically accurate to most of hte real jackets I've seen as I'll have a blood chit, AVG, Hell's Angels, name tage all on it... Toying with the ide of a deco-style AVG on the sleeve, but that might be overkill. I don't want to look like something out of Top Gun, a film I hate more than even the Star Wars prequels.

Edward, you said you were getting a new M-422a in the spring; what manufacturer are you getting it from?

Aero. Not everyone's favourite for the military stuff, I know, but all things considered, having looked at all the manufacturers currently offering jackets, they work best for me.

Brettafett

One Too Many

Hey Thor.... Still waiting for some pics of your M442... or did I miss that? ;)

I received a Cockpit Vintage G-1 a few months ago, but was a bit disappointed and promptly returned it. As I feared, the jacket was a touch short for me in the body. Also the underarm gussets on the right side were somehow misplaced, rotated forward and up... if that makes sense. The collar also seemed to be a bit offset/ skew. Besides that a comfy jacket that looks pretty nice. If one could try a few on and find a 'good' one, then a nice mid-range option. I still have an issue with the floppy knits of G-1s and M422s.... Spoiled by the A-2's thicker, stronger knits I guess.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Hi'ya Brett,

Well I received the BK M-422 in August and I posted afew pics when the jacket was fresh out of the box (mostly for fit purposes and my ear-to-ear grin). Jacket is gorgeous! As soon as I get a chance, I'll try to take more pics and post 'em up now that the jacket has broken in.

BTW: I'm wearing the BK M-422 in my avatar photo.

ulfee

New in Town
Hello,

How much did the jacket shrink after your treatment? Would you say by a full size? Did the length of sleeves and body shrink significantly?

Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland