Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Complete Guide to suits: 57 Rules of Style

SteveAS

Practically Family
I disagree with the second part of rule 31: "Your jacket sleeves should reveal about half an inch of shirt cuff. If they don't, try a short size instead—you could save yourself a trip to the tailor later on."

I disagree with the idea of getting a short size if it means the body length would be too short. I'd rather pay to have the cuffs shortened.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Well apart from the "common sense" advice (like cutting off labels or valuing good fit) there is a lot of subjective stuff...
the following "rules" are hooey in my book:

10, 11, 22, 23, 24 (haha), 25, 32, 34, 35

Biggest crock: 27

Of course this "guide" is addressing contemporary fashion palates, while my preference are Mid-30's to Mid-40's suits, so I would never subscribe to the notion that a double vented, slim fitting Super-1000 suit is something to strive for.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Rule 35

"A slightly cropped overcoat will elongate your silhouette."

They illustrate this with an overcoat that reaches the mid-thigh.

Note to author: a coat that only reaches the mid-thigh is not an overcoat!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Look at the fabric stressing at the inseam. Yeah, that looks good.

suits_traditional_7_9_evss.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Modern fashion rules just don't work with vintage style. They are fashion and therefore only valid for a short time period. Maybe 5 years or so.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I agree that many of 'the rules' don't work with vintage suits. That said, it is always good to see people making an effort to wear suits - even if they aren't suits that i would wear.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i always thought leaving your working cuff buttons open was a bit naff too. a lazy way of saying "hey everyone, this is bespoke get it ? bespoke !".
now working cuff buttons and pick stitched lapels are done by every other brand and are no longer a quick signifier of a bespoke suit.

overall this 'guide' isn't as fashion biased as i was expecting. a few of the basics are present and correct, such as half an inch of shirt cuff, and trousers on the natural waist (although a lot of modern men think their 'natural waist' is were their hips are).

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I wonder about showing cuff. I always thought this is how it's done and it looks good to me. But I find many vintage photographs where people sport jackets with long sleeves without showing any cuff. So it is probably a more recent rule, no?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The notion that ideally some cuff is shown existed already back then.
However indeed it was quite common (particularly on Sports suits/coats) to have longer sleeves showing absolutely no cuff (of course not excessively long like often today).

Most photos (both "real" and "fashion photography") and illustrations where I have seen these long sleeves are Continental European and from the late 1930's. Probably it was fashionable.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Shirt cuffs: I believe there was a period in the late 1930s (circa 1938?) where it became fashionable to wear jacket sleeves very short, showing more cuff than is normally accepted. I'd be interesed to know if anyone else has heard of this fashion.

Working cuffs: Whilst I understand why people consider the opening of working cuff buttons as a bit flash, I often do it when eating. I like to open and turn back the cuffs to keep them out of the way. This may seem a bit over the top but it helps keeps the cuffs clean.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I believe there was a period in the late 1930s (circa 1938?) where it became fashionable to wear jacket sleeves very short, showing more cuff than is normally accepted. I'd be interesed to know if anyone else has heard of this fashion.

Odd. I have material from Germany and Finland from 1938 showing very long sleeves that show no cuff whatsoever. (Will add the photos soon.)

Maybe a different trend in Britain?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Working cuffs: Whilst I understand why people consider the opening of working cuff buttons as a bit flash, I often do it when eating.

if you do it for a reason that's fine. from the 80s on it seemed that everyone who wore a bespoke suit had to have three visual cues to signpost the fact: the working cuff buttons open, prominent pick stitching around the lapels, and flashy lining (preferably red). thankfully all three have been adopted by RTW brands, so the flash Harry's will have to rethink their line of attack.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Prominent pick-stitching around the lapels: that is one of my real dislikes and is something I would personally never consider for a suit. It might be right for some people but not for me.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The general tone of this whole article seems to be oriented to young men who never were really exposed to men wearing proper suits on a regular basis during their growing up. Victims of post 60s ubiquitous hipness.
The general aesthetic is hipsterism.
Rules I have issues with would be:

3. Polka Dots???
7. Short waistcoat? I think not.
16. I agree with the no bulky watch rule. You see it a lot.
18. Flipping the collar up? Hipsters only!
21. Likewise, short trouser length. Hipsters only.
31. Cuff exposure. Totally agree. Just under half an inch.
33. Your waist should be at your waist. Mens clothing manufacturers, are you listening?
42. The issue of variations of the same color working together. Can work or be AWFUL.

Last edited:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Prominent pick-stitching around the lapels: that is one of my real dislikes and is something I would personally never consider for a suit. It might be right for some people but not for me.

I agree with this. With the light fabrics of today it tends to make the suits look cheap to my eye. I o however like a machine stitch a quarter inch in from the edge. But pick stitching always ads an unsightly ripple to the edge from the get go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24