Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Here we go guys! Other than the ribbon,the conversion went relatively smoothly. Since I have yet to get a 7 5/8 flange,I had to hand work the brim and considering the way the hat looked in the ad(fairly flat looking front and back brim)I just did some mild curve on the fore and aft part of the brim and put a gradual curve on the sides. Obviously,there is no sewn "overwelt"(don't remember the actual term) part of the brim like the advert hat. I don't feel comfortable enough with my experience level at this point to recreate the original,but I think it looks fine with a regular raw edge. The bow is by far my best work yet. However,I still haven't come to grips with good,even and tight ribbon work. In the future,I may put a real flange to it when I get one,but the way it is now makes me happy enough to wear it out of the house. Well guys,let me know what you think.
Picture 35.jpg

Picture 36.jpg
Picture 37.jpg

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I think it came out well, especially because I favor flatish brims over very cupped snap brims. The raw edge looks good, and you can use some 320 grit sandpaper to taper the edge a bit, making it look a little more finished. Don't worry about messing up, it takes a lot of sanding to make any noticeable difference. It's also best if you don't do it in your kitchen because it make a lot of felt dust.

FWIW, I saw it on you tube, tried it and like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters