Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

DOGMAN

One Too Many
My next hat a Resistol Chute 5x,color STRLNG BVR-brim 3 1/2"-crown 6 1/4".Stretched into 7 1/4 long oval.Sanded ready to trim to 2 5/8" or 2 1/2"
tUq7XCA.jpg
RYvq7ID.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I love that hat Terry. What are the brim and crown dimensions on it?
Thank you buddy. The open crown is 6 inches. I have it creased in a teardrop, 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 at the back. As creased the crown is 5 inches tall at its highest. The brim is 2 3/4 wide.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Thank you buddy. The open crown is 6 inches. I have it creased in a teardrop, 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 at the back. As creased the crown is 5 inches tall at its highest. The brim is 2 3/4 wide.
I think I might try to copy you if I can find the right hat for conversion. I like the tall crown and wide brim. Thanks.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Dman what does swirl the ribbon mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're basically laying out your ribbon and ironing it in more of an arch rather than flat out. The arch of the ribbon will fit tighter around the hat with the inside of the arch going around toward the top of the crown and the longer of the arch going along the bottom of the crown.

You're basically laying out your ribbon and ironing it in more of an arch rather than flat out. The arch of the ribbon will fit tighter around the hat with the inside of the arch going around toward the top of the crown and the longer of the arch going along the bottom of the crown.

Takes practice. I still struggle with it. The lady in the Youtube video makes it look easy, though.

You have to iron it in an arch and sort of pull it through with your other hand.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Takes practice. I still struggle with it. The lady in the Youtube video makes it look easy, though.

You have to iron it in an arch and sort of pull it through with your other hand.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
You basically know what to do. Just do it and don't over think it. It's easier than it looks.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's my redo on this Bradford. I originally blocked it over a vintage wooden block that was more rounded and tapered. Afterward I creased the crown into a C-Crease to straighten up the sides. But, even then, while the sides were straight the front and the back of the crown tapered into each other. I never could warm up to that crown shape. So, I took it apart again and changed it. I broke out a plastic PITA to use straight sided dome Plastic Hat Shaper and changed the crown with far greater results for the open crown shape I wanted.

(Just a little note: Plastic Hat Shapers are fine if you're doing some of your own hats every now and then and if you don't have to do a lot of tugging and pulling. For one, the flange at the bottom gets in the way when you're trying tug on the hat and stretch it. Number two, they won't hold up under frequent use, especially for the amount pulling and stretching it takes when working on a hat. I keep a few around and use them only when I have to).

With that said, I got good results out of it. I got a good straight sided open crown shape all around the hat. After going with a tear drop crease this time everything stayed straight. Front and back, and the sides. Tall and straight all around....4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches at the back.
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_9.png
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_10.png

Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_11.png

Here's the crown shape after blocking it on the plastic Hat Shaper. You'll also notice some stitching. These are temporary tack stitches to hold my sweat in place. The tack stitches will be removed after the permanent stitches are sewn in for the sweat.
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_12.png

Flanging for the 2 3/4 snap brim
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_13.png
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_3.png

Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_1.png
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_7.png

Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_4.png
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_6.png

On the head. Tall and straight.
Bradford_7_X_Redo_5.jpg
Bradford_7_X_Redo_2.jpg

Last edited:

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Here's my redo on this Bradford. I originally blocked it over a vintage wooden block that was more rounded and tapered. Afterward I creased the crown into a C-Crease to straighten up the sides. But, even then, while the sides were straight the front and the back of the crown tapered into each other. I never could warm up to that crown shape. So, I took it apart again and changed it. I broke out a plastic PITA to use straight sided dome Plastic Hat Shaper and changed the crown with far greater results for the open crown shape I wanted.

(Just a little note: Plastic Hat Shapers are fine if you're doing some of your own hats every now and then and if you don't have to do a lot of tugging and pulling. For one, the flange at the bottom gets in the way when you're trying tug on the hat and stretch it. Number two, they won't hold up under frequent use, especially for the amount pulling and stretching it takes when working on a hat. I keep a few around and use them only when I have to).

With that said, I got good results out of it. I got a good straight sided open crown shape all around the hat. After going with a tear drop crease this time everything stayed straight. Front and back, and the sides. Tall and straight all around....
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_9.png
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_10.png

Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_11.png

Here's the crown shape after blocking it on the plastic Hat Shaper. You'll also notice some stitching. These are temporary tack stitches to hold my sweat in place. The tack stitches will be removed after the permanent stitches are sewn in for the sweat.
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_12.png

Flanging for the 2 3/4 snap brim
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_13.png
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_3.png

Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_1.png
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_7.png

Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_4.png
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_6.png

On the head. Tall and straight.
Bradford_7_X_Redo_5.jpg
Bradford_7_X_Redo_2.jpg
Looks great.Love the rake.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thank you Dman. I consider that a real compliment coming from a guy who puts out some of the finest conversions on the Lounge.

Besides, I gotta be on top of my game to stay in the competition when I'm up against you! ;)
Oh no,my friend there is no competition.Your conversions are topnotch.I consider us to be on the same level.But thank you for the compliment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner