Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

DOGMAN

One Too Many
More pics of my Resistol 3X Costner inspired Open Range conversion. It started off as a size 7 1/4 but was still too tight for me. I took it apart and resized it on a 23 1/4 plastic straight sided dome Hat Shaper. The open crown was lowered to six inches from its original 6 1/2 inches. I did gain more brim but not uniformly. I got 4 1/4 inches on one side and 4 1/8 inches on the other side. Front and back of the brim remained at 4 inches. The brim width was an easy fix. I trimmed off the excess on each side and was able to maintain the hat's original 4 inches brim width all around and still had a relatively tall open crown. Two Western hats that I've always admired were Costner's Open Range hat and Selleck's Quigley Down Under hat. Although I was more strongly inspired by the Open Range hat I did bring an element of the Down Under hat to this conversion. I really liked the fuller brim of Quigley's hat over Costner's more squeezed in looking brim, if that's a good enough description. But definitely the crown crease and over all look of this conversion was inspired by Costner's Open Range hat.

On the block
IMG_20180313_112434856.jpg

Ironing the brim
The_Open_Range_20.jpg

Tacked new sweat in place with temporary stitches
The_Open_Range_1.jpg

New sweat sewn in with permanent stitches and the temporary stitches are cut and removed
The_Open_Range_2.jpg
The_Open_Range_3.jpg

Hat sprayed down with water, but not soaking, to shape the brim and crease the crown. Then let it dry...
The_Open_Range_5.jpg
The_Open_Range_6.jpg

Dry and ready to wear
The_Open_Range_7.jpg
The_Open_Range_10.jpg

Top angle showing the mule kick in the back and side dent
The_Open_Range_9.png

On the head. Different angles. This hat is really comfortable.
The_Open_Range_17.jpg
The_Open_Range_16.jpg
Open_Range_Western_5.jpg
Open_Range_8.jpg

Open Range
Open_Range_Western_18.png

Quigley Down Under
quigley_down_under_4.jpg
Love that one Terry.I just watched the movie also.After that and your hat,I want to do something similar.Maybe do something different with the brim.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Love that one Terry.I just watched the movie also.After that and your hat,I want to do something similar.Maybe do something different with the brim.
Thank you DMAN! Yeah buddy. You should definitely do one! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

It was a good movie, for sure. I even have this Open Range pic as the screen saver on my phone
cf9fba666ea1875ef2773475e788538e.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Reworking another Stagecoach. This one started off as a size 7 1/8. Needless to say, it was way too small for me. I even cut the Reed on the sweat and tried to stretch it so I could wear the hat. It was still too snug. Well, I took it apart this morning and I'm reblocking it on the same 23 1/4 straight sided dome hat shaper. As with my Costner Open Range hat the open crown height on this one will be lowered to six inches as well. I'll have more later. I'm still deciding on brim shape and crown crease.

Brown_Stagecoach.png

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo