Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

I took the easy way out with a dark grey Resistol 3X that was delivered a couple of days ago. Rather than remove the sweat and reblocking it (the crown is 6.5” open!) I decided to simply trim the brim, clean it, and crease it. My wife will help with a new ribbon and it will be ready to go. Not very refined, but serviceable. I’ll work on the brim flange and the crease over the next couple of days.

0df3bdae7a771470a9df998fd7f7e2f8.jpg

4a4a98eb4524b03b2fd5f9a53895611d.jpg

3b8c91e8eadbf26d6e725f6cb1f596ec.jpg

e19dd29b36bcdbfbae62e2f4659163d7.jpg

2beefa6e6240c5b93bd831371059f75f.jpg

ba748b784a32b8d8970f46d1fb4b3df3.jpg

c6200d0cfd5e84eb4f0db090ae8c456b.jpg

96cdd8faabce084b03d8595f04f2d791.jpg

I might give it a deeper crease and take the height down a bit more, but I do like tall crowns. My wife wants to put a black ribbon on it but I’m thinking something more interesting.

I know this doesn’t compare to the works of art some are able to produce, but I’ve decided to either buy fine vintage hats or commission new dress hats and that my conversions will be everyday work hats. I also loathe sewing in sweats :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the easy way out with a dark grey Resistol 3X that was delivered a couple of days ago. Rather than remove the sweat and reblocking it (the crown is 6.5” open!) I decided to simply trim the brim, clean it, and crease it. My wife will help with a new ribbon and it will be ready to go. Not very refined, but serviceable. I’ll work on the brim flange and the crease over the next couple of days.

I might give it a deeper crease and take the height down a bit more, but I do like tall crowns. My wife wants to put a black ribbon on it but I’m thinking something more interesting.

I know this doesn’t compare to the works of art some are able to produce, but I’ve decided to either buy fine vintage hats or commission new dress hats and that my conversions will be everyday work hats. I also loathe sewing in sweats :)

That one is well on it's way Brent. Love that color. Maybe a light colored contrasting ribbon? Are you thinking TAR?

That one is well on it's way Brent. Love that color. Maybe a light colored contrasting ribbon? Are you thinking TAR?

I’m either thinking of something like a one inch ribbon or maybe something much wider to move it away from the western look. A lighter ribbon is an interesting idea. I might also try a pencil curl, but I’m doing that with another conversion so I’ll see how that turns out first. VS will bind the brim for $30, but the shipping is a bit much. It’s rewarding doing it yourself.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Yes it looks really nice. Sewing in sweats is a hard thing to do for many of us, unless you have a machine to do it...them needles seem to LOVE making fingers bleed! I personally think if anyone likes a tall crown and just can't find a decent hat deal for a normal fedora, buying a western hat and converting it is the way to go!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Reading through this thread inspired me to do a conversion. I got this Stetson "Frisco" 3X western on ebay relatively cheap. Turns out it's made in Australia (Cool side note). After I cleaned it up, blocked, and flattened out the brim... I started to CHICKEN OUT! Wow, maybe I'll leave it as is? The current brim is 3". Deep inside I know I'll finish the conversion. My plan is to cut the brim to 2 1/2", bind the brim edge with ribbon and a matching grossgrain ribbon. I'll keep the lounge posted.
vW19RUQ.jpg
ub5O5C9.jpg
q2jjKLw.jpg
EjDg2sf.jpg
pscbL5n.jpg
Lptoq7c.jpg
9ZhmEdn.jpg
Dang! you just saved a hat and gave it some new life! looks great!

I am seeing some raw talent from loungers here doing conversions....amazing!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Reworked, reblocked, and resized this Resistol 3X. I watched and recorded Open Range the other night and I liked Costner's hat so well in that movie that I used it as the inspiration to change the style of this hat. My Costner inspired Open Range hat. I got the crease set and the brim shaped. I'm letting it dry for a while. It must've come out pretty good because when I put it on and showed my wife she was speechless and kept staring at it with wide eyes. She never displayed a reaction like that to my other hats. She must've been really impressed. I'm going to wear it out next time we go to the store together....I'll have more pictures later when I'm finished with it.

Open_Range_1.jpg

Open_Range_5.jpg

Open_Range_3.jpg
You out did yourself on this one...magic. I note the hatshaper block...we had one and sold it but may have to order another one....but..I am on the look out for another metal hat stretcher...one with a crank and you plug it in.....(no...it does not make toast)...LOL!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Nice work there guys!
Every bodies hat work looks great!

Third time a charm? I hope so cause this is the third incarnation of this old Stetson 3x now. I decided to go with a wider crown ribbon after I dig up a compatible brim binding in a similar color.
The crown ribbon is a washed sage /grey 1 1/2 wide and the binding is about 1” in a light celery grey. I accented the binding stitch with a darker grey/green thread so it adds a bit of contrast on the brim and to the crown ribbon color.
Color of the felt is a light grey silver belly .

a5317f5f9e1313f5f73c8eac9ce461b1.jpg
0952eedd44556afcd95bb12fb1128c67.jpg
54a3c335f3e6b2fbaacc593589569a7c.jpg
554c64e9c7a39539c08da5dbd3c55630.jpg
01b8a37ff87889b143638f2e7868b250.jpg

Wow..another "cadillac" just almost too pretty!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
You out did yourself on this one...magic. I note the hatshaper block...we had one and sold it but may have to order another one....but..I am on the look out for another metal hat stretcher...one with a crank and you plug it in.....(no...it does not make toast)...LOL!
Thank you Cindy!

Yup I used the straight sided dome hat shaper. I like its open crown shape and you can get some nice creases from it, although the plastic shaper can be a bit tricky to work with and probably won't hold up under constant use. I have both a wooden #51 block and a wooden #52 block. The straight sided dome , however, is a good compromise between the two. I get the more rounded top of the #51 and the straight sides of a #52.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you Cindy!

Yup I used the straight sided dome hat shaper. I like its open crown shape and you can get some nice creases from it, although the plastic shaper can be a bit tricky to work with and probably won't hold up under constant use. I have both a wooden #51 block and a wooden #52 block. The straight sided dome , however, is a good compromise between the two. I get the more rounded top of the #51 and the straight sides of a #52.
Yep...for some reason the hatshaper we had was a bugger to use as the thing has a "brim" on the base which makes it hard to get a tall crown to go over it, but we used it a few times and sold it to another lounger that liked it real well. can't afford a wood block, but they make them at some place in I believe England for a few hundred bucks!

Thank you Cindy!

I too have one of those Hat Shapers straight sided dome “blocks.” I’ve also been concerned about its longevity and I was thinking of reinforcing it with fiberglass when I thought why not just fill it with cement? It’s not so big that the weight would be an issue. Can you see any problems with doing this?

I bought a #52 wood block brand new, but I too like the Hat Shapers block for certain chores.

Brent

Yep...for some reason the hatshaper we had was a bugger to use as the thing has a "brim" on the base which makes it hard to get a tall crown to go over it, but we used it a few times and sold it to another lounger that liked it real well. can't afford a wood block, but they make them at some place in I believe England for a few hundred bucks!

I couldn’t find a vintage block my size so I bought new ($175). Get a matching band block while you’re there.

https://www.hatterssupplyhouse.com/hat-blocks

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I too have one of those Hat Shapers straight sided dome “blocks.” I’ve also been concerned about its longevity and I was thinking of reinforcing it with fiberglass when I thought why not just fill it with cement? It’s not so big that the weight would be an issue. Can you see any problems with doing this?

I bought a #52 wood block brand new, but I too like the Hat Shapers block for certain chores.

Brent

Wow that is a great idea about filling it! Yeah I sure wish we had a wood block....and you never know if you might need something in hard times to help heat the home! LOL!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

It is nice your Wife is supportive of your Hat Tragedy in life, and is willing to partake of that journey with you..so many have some negative comments or views which is not a healthy relationship at all. I took the interest in all this on the Lounge myself after observing how kind and caring people were when my Husband posted here all the time and eventually I jumped in and became very active in as much as I can. Learned a lot of hatting and shoes and leathers and other things people show case on the Lounge and the best part of it all...are the members here. We have the best gang of people here to know on the entire internet!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

Brent

I thought about filling the inside of one too. Maybe with something like "thin set" or mortar mix for tuck pointing, or even plaster....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR