Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Reworked, reblocked, and resized this Resistol 3X. I watched and recorded Open Range the other night and I liked Costner's hat so well in that movie that I used it as the inspiration to change the style of this hat. My Costner inspired Open Range hat. I got the crease set and the brim shaped. I'm letting it dry for a while. It must've come out pretty good because when I put it on and showed my wife she was speechless and kept staring at it with wide eyes. She never displayed a reaction like that to my other hats. She must've been really impressed. I'm going to wear it out next time we go to the store together....I'll have more pictures later when I'm finished with it.

Open_Range_1.jpg

Open_Range_5.jpg

Open_Range_3.jpg

That is superb.

I watched the movie the other day, and I, too, am always looking at Costner's hat, sometimes to the exclusion of everything else in the frame.

I ordered one of those blocks/shapers the other day, and I now know which hat I'm gonna try it on first.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
That is superb.

I watched the movie the other day, and I, too, am always looking at Costner's hat, sometimes to the exclusion of everything else in the frame.

I ordered one of those blocks/shapers the other day, and I now know which hat I'm gonna try it on first.
Thank you Scotty. I always liked Costner's hat in that movie. I studied that hat pretty much and used it for the inspiration of the one I just finished.

I did this hat on that same plastic block we were discussing.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reworked, reblocked, and resized this Resistol 3X. I watched and recorded Open Range the other night and I liked Costner's hat so well in that movie that I used it as the inspiration to change the style of this hat. My Costner inspired Open Range hat. I got the crease set and the brim shaped. I'm letting it dry for a while. It must've come out pretty good because when I put it on and showed my wife she was speechless and kept staring at it with wide eyes. She never displayed a reaction like that to my other hats. She must've been really impressed. I'm going to wear it out next time we go to the store together....I'll have more pictures later when I'm finished with it.

Open_Range_1.jpg

Open_Range_5.jpg

Open_Range_3.jpg
Man, you do some great movie westerns! You have a real eye for replicating. Beautiful work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Open_Range_1.jpg

Open_Range_5.jpg

Open_Range_3.jpg
Love it Terry. Great job. Making a wife speechless is an accomplishment too. :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
More pics of my Resistol 3X Costner inspired Open Range conversion. It started off as a size 7 1/4 but was still too tight for me. I took it apart and resized it on a 23 1/4 plastic straight sided dome Hat Shaper. The open crown was lowered to six inches from its original 6 1/2 inches. I did gain more brim but not uniformly. I got 4 1/4 inches on one side and 4 1/8 inches on the other side. Front and back of the brim remained at 4 inches. The brim width was an easy fix. I trimmed off the excess on each side and was able to maintain the hat's original 4 inches brim width all around and still had a relatively tall open crown. Two Western hats that I've always admired were Costner's Open Range hat and Selleck's Quigley Down Under hat. Although I was more strongly inspired by the Open Range hat I did bring an element of the Down Under hat to this conversion. I really liked the fuller brim of Quigley's hat over Costner's more squeezed in looking brim, if that's a good enough description. But definitely the crown crease and over all look of this conversion was inspired by Costner's Open Range hat.

On the block
IMG_20180313_112434856.jpg

Ironing the brim
The_Open_Range_20.jpg

Tacked new sweat in place with temporary stitches
The_Open_Range_1.jpg

New sweat sewn in with permanent stitches and the temporary stitches are cut and removed
The_Open_Range_2.jpg
The_Open_Range_3.jpg

Hat sprayed down with water, but not soaking, to shape the brim and crease the crown. Then let it dry...
The_Open_Range_5.jpg
The_Open_Range_6.jpg

Dry and ready to wear
The_Open_Range_7.jpg
The_Open_Range_10.jpg

Top angle showing the mule kick in the back and side dent
The_Open_Range_9.png

On the head. Different angles. This hat is really comfortable.
The_Open_Range_17.jpg
The_Open_Range_16.jpg
Open_Range_Western_5.jpg
Open_Range_8.jpg

Open Range
Open_Range_Western_18.png

Quigley Down Under
quigley_down_under_4.jpg

Last edited:
More pics of my Resistol 3X Costner inspired Open Range conversion. It started off as a size 7 1/4 but was still too tight for me. I took it apart and resized it on a 23 1/4 plastic straight sided dome Hat Shaper. The open crown was lowered to six inches from its original 6 1/2 inches. I did gain more brim but not uniformly. I got 4 1/4 inches on one side and 4 1/8 inches on the other side. Front and back of the brim remained at 4 inches. The brim width was an easy fix. I trimmed off the excess on each side and was able to maintain the hat's original 4 inches brim width all around and still had a relatively tall open crown. Two Western hats that I've always admired were Costner's Open Range hat and Selleck's Quigley Down Under hat. Although I was more strongly inspired by the Open Range hat I did bring an element of the Down Under hat to this conversion. I really liked the fuller brim of Quigley's hat over Costner's more squeezed in looking brim, if that's a good enough description. But definitely the crown crease and over all look of this conversion was inspired by Costner's Open Range hat.

On the block
IMG_20180313_112434856.jpg

Ironing the brim
The_Open_Range_20.jpg

Tacked new sweat in place with temporary stitches
The_Open_Range_1.jpg

New sweat sewn in with permanent stitches and the temporary stitches are cut and removed
The_Open_Range_2.jpg
The_Open_Range_3.jpg

Hat sprayed down with water, but not soaking, to shape the brim and crease the crown. Then let it dry...
The_Open_Range_5.jpg
The_Open_Range_6.jpg

Dry and ready to wear
The_Open_Range_7.jpg
The_Open_Range_10.jpg

Top angle showing the mule kick in the back and side dent
The_Open_Range_9.png

On the head. Different angles. This hat is really comfortable.
The_Open_Range_17.jpg
The_Open_Range_16.jpg
Open_Range_Western_5.jpg
Open_Range_8.jpg

Open Range
Open_Range_Western_18.png

Quigley Down Under
quigley_down_under_4.jpg
Another successful project, Terry. Love these pictures; they show very well how you did it. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner