Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Deck Jacket thread.

thatoreoguy

New in Town
Looks good! To my knowledge what Bronson calls experimantal is likely refering to the first stage in the model evolution of the originals. The first original "khaki" N-1 still had the loops under the armpits and the fur liner down to the cuffs of the sleeve it had inherited from the older blue version. In this logic both, the blue N-1 and the first khaki could be called "experimental". The later wartime N-1 had no loops and the fur lining ended where the knits were attached. In this variant the N-1 stayed pretty much the same until the early 1960s.
If your Bronson has the fur down to the cuffs then they are following this evolution in their own naming logic. Their "experimantal" A-2 is modeled after the first version of original A-2s that still was made with "Jungle Cloth" as outer shell. The final version was made from plain weave fabric. This is at least how I try to explain myself Bronson's logic with their names. A few years ago they simply called them 1st, 2nd and 3rd model N-1 (they did not make the A-2 at that time).

Wear it in good health!

Edit: What the loops were actually designed for never occured to me. Some wrote, the idea behind was to have something to hang them spread out for better drying. One crazy theory said you could use them to attatch the jacket either to your belt or to your Rucksack when on shore. Never believed this, though. It is however likely that they were believed to be necessary when the jacket was worn in the whole N-1 sytem, so together with the bib. The suspenders could be fastened there to prevent them from falling off your shoulders when kneeling down. If this is true, it seems that the reality proved that they were not needed at all.
yep it has the lining all the way into the sleeves

4444Design

One of the Regulars
PIKE BROTHERS size XL

K1j01SD.jpg

VK49lFr.jpg

what i like with the PB is the more roomy sleeves they have

i owned a "L" before but was pretty snug so i was able to wear a tee only underneath

the XL allows for some layering which i prefer

CatsCan

Practically Family
i owned a "L" before but was pretty snug so i was able to wear a tee only underneath
The roomier fit looks pretty good on you! I also started to dislike the squeezed-into-the-jacket look. What are those jeans in the photo with your XL Pike Bros? They are looking a bit like Japan Blue...
Got a parcel from the US today with a nice vintage A-2 Deck Jacket. Fits great! Will come back to you with questions about the stencil on it's back when I took some photos. It reads like "B-1 Div." or "R-1 Div." and below is a number "102", both in red! Looks pretty neat on the green background (not at all stark).
I know nothing about the nomenclature behind. B-1 seems to make more sense than R-1 however. Surprised how light this jacket is compared to the N-1 repros I have. Cut is how I wished my N-1s would be.

Edit: It actually reads "R-1 Div.". US Navy folks will hopefully help me out, could this be related to a repair division, if so, No. 1 being for Hull repairs? In this case guys whose trade was welding among other relating crafts?

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
Here is my "new" A-2 Deck Jacket. Sewn at Vanderbilt Shirt Co., Inc. Asheville, NC in 1978. I would rate it as in very good condition for one that has been in service. No tears, no rips, no stains, color is deep OD, Liner fluffy, buttons shiny. It smells fresh after initial wash. It did not smell at all before wash. It becomes harder to find examples without oil stains, paint smears, frayed or chewn away knit cuffs, missing buttons, broken zippers or other damages. The stitching is very accurate and this jacket is extremely well put together.
The Back Stencil is very discrete with it's red color. It reads "R-1 Div." and "102" (see the b/w photo in the next post where it shows clearly).

20240112_113332.jpg
20240112_113611.jpg

20240112_114017.jpg

20240112_113815.jpg

20240112_113829.jpg

20240112_113838.jpg

20240112_113930.jpg

20240112_114139.jpg

20240112_114156.jpg

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
Here the stencil enhanced in b/w

4.jpg

Maybe Thor or 4444Design can help me out, does it stand for Hull repair division? What does 102 stand for (It can't be a ship during the time of it's service)?

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
Sailors "Stop Our Ship" Protest against Vietnam War.

7.jpg

The guy in the center right wears his A-2 Deck Jacket.

8.jpg

A-2 Deck Jacket and M-65 side by side. These are the same guys as in the center of the previous image

5 Newport 1979.jpg

The guy in the background is wearing a Led Zeppelin Tour Shirt (United States Of America Tour 1977, which was actually blue) so that dates this image about the time when my A-2 went into service. Can anybody identify the trainers worn by the guy in the front right?)

sneaker.jpg

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
My RMC N-1 (size 40) arrived and just want to do a quick comparison with the Freewheelers N-1 (size 38).

* The Freewheelers is a significantly heavier jacket with thicker alpaca wool. Possibly warmer.
* The RMC has much better stitching all throughout. Buttons and hardware look awesome.
* RMC collar stays up better.
* RMC because it is lighter, feels better when layering.
* RMC has better fit for me but that's due to choosing the right size in this one. I am sure the Freewheelers has an awesome fit in the right size. The Freewheelers has a slightly more tapered fit I believe.
* Alpaca feels amazing in both.
* RMC sleeves feel slightly larger but could be due to tag size difference as well.
* Freewheelers has alpaca all the way to end of the sleeve (not just to the beginning of the cuff).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner