Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DINER.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Found a new one today, in the Trinidad neighborhood of Northeast DC. It was trucked there from Avoca, New York, and arrived four days ago. It's a 1947 Silk City diner, originally manufactured in Patterson, NJ.

The Capital City Diner at 1050 Bladensburg Road NE is expected to open in August.

IMG_0666.jpg

Video of the move - Fox

Video of the move - ABC
Photos from the old location

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Neptune Diner- Lancaster, PA- 1951 Mountain View
IMG_3493.jpg

Airport Diner - Kutztown, PA - 1960 Silk City
IMG_3494.jpg

5th Street Diner - Reading, PA - Modern Kullman
IMG_0762.jpg

Letterman's Diner - late 1920s/ early 1930s O'Mahony

IMG_0768.jpg

21.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Saw these today.

IMG_4048.jpg

Sandy Hook Diner, Sandy Hook, CT - 1920s.

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

Blue Colony Diner- modern

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

Gilley's - Portsmouth, NH - 1940 diner on a later truck

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Been to both the Blue Colony and the Miss Portland myself -- both great spots, and the Colony is one of the few modern-built diners I've been to that does well at capturing the ambience without loading itself down with a lot of "theme restaurant" kitsch. The staff there is also very pleasant and accomodating!

I've been by the Sandy Hook, too -- a good friend of mine lives in that town -- but I've never seen it open!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Capital City Diner- Washington, DC
formerly the Avoca diner of Avoca, NY
I took pictures when it first arrived, see HERE
At that point it was expected to open in August. After a series of nightmares in dealing with contractors and with the city, it finally opened this month, and by all accounts is excellent.

acapcity4photomichaelgstewart.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
Ever since I checked out Dinerman's blog, I started eating at the diner near my house. The Metro Diner has been around since longer than I can remember and I've lived in Dallas since '67. I found out that it's been in business since 1964, I love it 'cause it's open 24 hours. It's my office whan I'm not at the office. I like the old time feel of the place. Here's some pics I lifted from a restaurant review:

metro4.jpg

metro1.jpg

My next favorite place is Norma's. It's been around since the '50's. The chrome fixtures on the inside kinda give the place an atomic feel. I don't go here much 'cause it's always packed and closes at 8:00 but the food and service is great!

normas3.jpg

normas1.jpg

Here's me in my favorite Metro Diner after work:

securedownload2.jpg

Ernest

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
we have one diner here in vancouver, but it only looks like a cool diner on the outside.
the inside is not cool and old looking, and the food is rubbish.. kinda like really expensive Mcdonalds type food. foul!

I wish we had a great old diner here <3

Ed

Familiar Face
Marlowe said:
if there is one i have a strong reccomendation for.. I mean the real deal man... the old scool look and the old school service... where some lady named Flo takes your order and tells you need a haircut... there a couple in Albany, NY that also offer the best cocktails you will ever drink in your life. But the best, man the creme d' la creme is the Little Gem in Syracuse, NY where the Greeks still own the diners and hire working class folks to run the tables, where smoking is still legal even though its an ill eagle, where its still under 4 bucks for 2 over ez eggs and homefries. 2 pieces of rye over buttered toast and coffee is included, the place you drive to after the bar or the morning after the bar. The place where the start of a seedy story starts and where most american novels should start.
I dont offer pictures as further encouragement to get there on your own. What other reason will you ever have to visit Syracuse, NY??

Sadly, it's about to close unless a buyer is found.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/little_gem_diner_a_fixture_in.html

DINER.jpg

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
UK Diner

There is a diner I have visited a few times in Church Gresley, near Swadlincote in Derbyshire, UK.
It was originally called Murphy's Diner in 1952 and lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts, some car dealers brought it to the UK and the present owners bought it off ebay in 2004, they restored the diner and opened it in 2005.
Great atmosphere and classic diner food.

hotrods2.jpg

hotrods.jpg

diner.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
poggleberry said:
There is a diner I have visited a few times in Church Gresley, near Swadlincote in Derbyshire, UK.
It was originally called Murphy's Diner in 1952 and lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts, some car dealers brought it to the UK and the present owners bought it off ebay in 2004, they restored the diner and opened it in 2005.
Great atmosphere and classic diner food.

It's funny that you mention Murphys. Larry Cultrera just did a post on them over at his blog- diner hotline.
Murphy's Diner lives on!

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
One of the latest diners I've been to doesn't sport too much of a vintage look (more of a country diner with a down home sort of feel, I think), but it's been around since the 50's and offers up breakfast, lunch and dinner during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Anything on their menu at any time, and the pancakes are the size of your head!

It's called the Dam Diner, and is up in Ocklawaha Florida (the Ocala area - about an hour or so north of Orlando). I went there a few times for lunch and dinner during and after work at an archeology dig last year. Their waitstaff is friendly, you get timely service and the prices are very reasonable.

I may be up there again next month, and will see to taking pictures of the place. For now, here's an article:

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080623/NEWS/900957615?tc=ar

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Silver Diner, now 20 years old. One of the first retro styled diners and next to maybe the American City Diner in Washington DC, one of the best executed. It will be replaced by a new location a quarter of a mile down the road.

P1070597.jpg

P1070589.jpg

P1070600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran