Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Double Teardrop

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I like it!

I think it's really interesting. I would like to see it on 'ya to get a better idea of how it looks from the front. Really, how many people will see the crease from the top? (other than the aforementioned birds :rolleyes: )

nulty

One of the Regulars
Personally, even though there is somewhat of an affront at first glance, it's so creative it has to be cool...I like it from the top look...the side not sure...have to see it in action........

huzzah on the effort.....! :eusa_clap

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Why not go for a triple teardrop? Or a quintuple? Heck, shape it into a cowpie, or a Victorian garden maze. lol

In short, there are wise limits ... even for customized fedoras.

3425308526_89ac62d886.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I saw a hat creased this way yesterday!

Rhonda and I took our daughter out to dinner for her birthday last night. She chose Applebee's. As we were being seated we passed a display that included a hat with that double teardrop! I don't recall seeing one like that before. I didn't look closely at the display, but I'm sure it was meant to be a copy of Roy Roger's hat (thanks, JT, for the reminder!)

As it happens, Roy Rogers was born not too far from where I live, on Duck Run. We pass there from time to time when taking a short cut from my father-in-law's house into Portsmouth. There's a plaque up in front of the house, and, naturally, there's a Roy Rogers theme to a lot of things around here.

Timing is everything, I suppose... quite a coincidence that I should see one yesterday for the first time and then see another the very next day!

As to what do I think of it, well, I kind of like it. It certainly is unique!:eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Hehe, that's really interesting! ;)

It does the job and no one will actually see it (except when it is off your head, perhaps), so it is ok in that regard.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Enough people have said that it can't be seen while worn. This depends on your height JLT. If you're tall then that applies, but if you're below 6' I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be able to see it. I'm 6'1" and on the few occaisions I see people in hats I can see how they are creased.

As for what it looks like, I am very split here. It shows imagination and skill. On the other hand, it is so unconventional that I don't think I'd ever be able to make myself wear it with anything less than costume personally. Then again, the top hat was unconventional when it was invented and it became the most accepted form of headwear twenty years later. [huh] So while it may be unconventional now, you could be one of the first people to popularise a new style (I realise that's an oxymoron as fedoras aren't that popular but I mean in relative terms comparing with other fedoras).

It looks like a hoof print from a horse stepping directly in the middle of the inside of your hat! I've had plenty of western hats run over in the warm up pen & none turned out that nice! I think it is original & unique = wear that sucker!

animator

One of the Regulars
I really like it.

I have been waiting for the money to order a Roy Rogers style hat... I never thought of applying the crease to a fedora.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FurFeltFedora said:
JtL it certainly is an interesting solution to your problem and I can confidently say that I have never seen anything like that before. It's difficult to describe my reaction to it. Kind of like the three breasted woman from Total Recall - more of what you like, but somehow not right... :D

lol lol lol lol Who was the star of that movie?

That certainly is interesting, Jim. I really admire your skill and patience to do something like that. How do you like it?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen -- thanks to each and every one of you for the feedback. This thread makes me smile -- since I think it is just great that everyone felt free to offer their honest opinion. To those who liked the result -- thank you. To those who didn't -- thank you. I appreciate the fact that the "negative" opinions were offered in a good-humored and good-natured way.

BobC -- to answer your question, I've decided to just let this one sit for a while before reaching a final conclusion. When the idea came to me, I thought it would be a challenge just to see whether or not I could pull it off technically. From that standpoint, I'm really pleased with it. I also find it an interesting exercise in thinking outside the norm in terms of fedora creases. Marc Kitter recently posted a crease that reminded me of a deer hoof-print. Everyone's cup of tea? Not necessarily. But very creative, nevertheless. Western creases have certainly reflected a wide range of crease styles over the years, and I think it's fun to explore the same with fedoras.

That being said, whether the ultimate result is aesthetically pleasing in context is the real question. So, I really do like the look of the crease viewed in isolation. In context, however, I'm not so sure that it works organically with the overall look of the fedora. Because it's so different, I'm going to give it a little time to sink in before I decide what to do.

Incidentally, J.T. -- great info on the Roy Rogers crease. That's wild. I think the real estate on a Western crown may help to pull off that look a bit more organically. Thanks for that reference.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass