Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
add_pier.gif
Yesterday at the train station something pretty absurd took place. I was wearing a 50's scarf around my head, like in the pic but smaller. People are always staring at me (either because of my vintage cat-eye specs or because of my breathtaking beauty, I can't tell which) so I usually don't take much notice of it. In the case of pre-pubescent eyeballers showing off to their pathetic gang, I sometimes hear laughter, which was the case this time. A half minute after they'd spotted me they'd already managed to organize a chant with a footballesque melody (impressive!) and raised their yet girly voices "EASTER IS OVER! EASTER IS OVER!" in a greeting of sorts as I boarded the train.
Now I'm sure that everyone who isn't swedish is wondering what the heck that was all about. Let me clarify. In sweden when it's easter small boys and girls dress-up as a cuter version of witches. Instead of hats they wear scarfs, and put rouge and freckles on their cheeks. Then they go door to door and trick-or-treat (but without the trick, they're really not scary). So, in short thay said I looked like a witch. Aah, don't you just love pre-teen boys? *gagging noise*

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cherry lips said:
... So, in short thay said I looked like a witch. Aah, don't you just love pre-teen boys? *gagging noise*

No one should call you a witch and get away with it. Just say the word and I'll come over there and stomp those brats into a little greasy puddle. ;)

Tango Yankee said:
I get that question from time to time in response to my license plate. Heck, the clerk at the BMV had me write on the application what a fedora was for whomever would be processing it!

Latest "What's a fedora?" question was yesterday. Since this is a sincere question I tend to answer politely, but it amazes me that so many people aren't familiar with the word. True, we've not had wide-spread fedora-wearing in the US for quite some time, but still I didn't expect it to be such a puzzler for people. Imagine if I'd gone with "HOMBURG"? :p

Cheers,
Tom

Yet they would never question Bowler or Boater. :rolleyes: :p

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I just returned from having brunch at my sister's house. After the meal my 5 year old niece Alexa walked up to my sister while she was washing the dishes and stared at her hair. Alexa cleared her throat and sweetly asked; "Mommy why do you have some grey strands in your hair?"
My sister paused and looked at her daughter. "Every time you disobey, I get one strand of grey hair. If you want me to stay pretty, you better obey."
My sister quickly returned to her task of washing dishes. My niece stood there thinking. She cleared her throat again. "Mommy", she sweetly asked again.
"Yes?" My sister replied. "Why is Grandma's hair all grey?" :eusa_doh:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
I get that question from time to time in response to my license plate. Heck, the clerk at the BMV had me write on the application what a fedora was for whomever would be processing it!

Latest "What's a fedora?" question was yesterday. Since this is a sincere question I tend to answer politely, but it amazes me that so many people aren't familiar with the word. True, we've not had wide-spread fedora-wearing in the US for quite some time, but still I didn't expect it to be such a puzzler for people. Imagine if I'd gone with "HOMBURG"? :p

Cheers,
Tom

I once got the question of "What's a fedora?" when I went into a clothing store just to see if they had any fedoras. I quickly spotted several baseball caps along a wall, but didn't seen anything else. I asked a clerk if the store had any fedoras, and he asked me if that was the maker of hat. I didn't take much time to explain, but just politely (I hope) told him that if he didn't know what a fedora was, the store apparently didn't have them.

If you'd gone with "Homburg?" Umm...type of sandwich?...:eusa_doh:

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Well, title's asking for the "dummest" which would, ordinarily, exclude all the other (less dumb) comments, but since I'm only going to write on the subject this once, I'll list a short overview...

My hat wearing environment is completed by occasional noises, almost always behind my back, reproducing machine gun (or just plain firearm) firing, fortunately emanating not from the real hardware but from the distorted mouths of ...visibly... adult citizens. I wonder if that would provide any indication as to the level of tolerance to other forms of "being" oneself in this cute little kingdom of ours. But what I've read from other forum members convinces me to "not worry, be happy".

The dummest? That came not from someone in the streets; it was uttered by a friend of mine, alleging that wearing cowboy hats was a provocation on my part. Thanks for the liberty, pal.

Paul

DrQuest

Familiar Face
I haven't received any negative comments yet, ( I am sure they will happen at some point) but I sure have seen a few rather odd looks. Some people look and then try to act like they are NOT looking, which is kinda funny too.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Yesterday I wore to the office a black wool single breasted notch lapel suit, maroon shirt, deep red button cufflinks with patina filigree edges, a maroon tie with black and gold angular pattern, gold collar bar, small elongated oval gold and silver tie bar, black semi-brogue wing tips, scarlet socks, and a black fedora. The comments from just the one day:

"You look like Michael Jackson."
"You remind me of that song... (person starts humming Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer')"
"You should limp like a pimp."
"You should do that dance from 'Young Frankenstein.'" (presumably "Puttin' On The Ritz," during which, if memory serves, Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle were wearing tails and top hats.)

And a few others that I can't recall now. My favorite was an elderly Oriental couple. The wife said something to her husband that I couldn't understand, and then the gentleman said to me, "You look good. You wear hat everyday?" I said, "Thanks. You like it?" They both nodded, smiling. I tipped the hat far forward across my brow and made "guns" with my hands, pointing them to the ceiling. "Humphrey Bogart." They both laughed. That moment made all of the silly comments of the day worthwhile.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Yesterday to work I wore cotton olive colored chinos, a tan button down dress shirt, a brown tweed sportcoat and tie. I don't usually wear my hat to work, but I brought it to show to a friend who really likes hats. He was very complimentary. It's an Adventurebilt. Later I walked up the street to the 7-11 to get a drink, and rain was lightly falling, so I donned the lid. The sweet young girl behind the counter, long time acquaintance (I've visited that 7-11 many times the last few years) said, "You look just like the Lone Ranger". I paused, then with all the dignity I could muster said, "That's not exactly the look I was going for." The manager behind the counter replied, "He's just getting ready for Indiana Jones."

1911 Man said:
Yesterday to work I wore cotton olive colored chinos, a tan button down dress shirt, a brown tweed sportcoat and tie. I don't usually wear my hat to work, but I brought it to show to a friend who really likes hats. He was very complimentary. It's an Adventurebilt. Later I walked up the street to the 7-11 to get a drink, and rain was lightly falling, so I donned the lid. The sweet young girl behind the counter, long time acquaintance (I've visited that 7-11 many times the last few years) said, "You look just like the Lone Ranger". I paused, then with all the dignity I could muster said, "That's not exactly the look I was going for." The manager behind the counter replied, "He's just getting ready for Indiana Jones."

"Uh no. I was just getting ready to go out into the rain.";) :p

Slim Portly said:
Yesterday I wore to the office a black wool single breasted notch lapel suit, maroon shirt, deep red button cufflinks with patina filigree edges, a maroon tie with black and gold angular pattern, gold collar bar, small elongated oval gold and silver tie bar, black semi-brogue wing tips, scarlet socks, and a black fedora. The comments from just the one day:

"You look like Michael Jackson."
"You remind me of that song... (person starts humming Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer')"
"You should limp like a pimp."
"You should do that dance from 'Young Frankenstein.'" (presumably "Puttin' On The Ritz," during which, if memory serves, Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle were wearing tails and top hats.)

Geez, so much stupid, so little time. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

"Michael Jackson?! You mean the reporter from Britain?":rolleyes:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1911 Man said:

Mr_Burns.png

"...standing and walking on their hind legs…like a bunch of little Rory Calhoun’s, always standing and walking."

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It's always with the gangsters.

I had a homeless guy say to me the other day "don't shoot us, Clyde!" I was not expecting a Clyde Barrow reference, actually. I just grinned at him. I figure if kids can straight facedly walk around the mall with foot-tall mohawks and those weird pants with all the buckles, I can have the dignity to wear a fedora.

I am beginning to consider telling people in velour track suits that they look like mafiosos, however. :D

-Dave

David Conwill said:
I had a homeless guy say to me the other day "don't shoot us, Clyde!" I was not expecting a Clyde Barrow reference, actually. I just grinned at him. I figure if kids can straight facedly walk around the mall with foot-tall mohawks and those weird pants with all the buckles, I can have the dignity to wear a fedora.

I am beginning to consider telling people in velour track suits that they look like mafiosos, however. :D

-Dave

Sure. Didn't Tony Soprano wear those? :p ;)
"Clyde?! OK, Sid Vicious." ;)

Jerekson

One Too Many
1911 Man said:

Unfortunatly, once IJIV time comes about, any type of brimmed hat will be an Indiana Jones hat. NO EXCEPTIONS.

huysmans

New in Town
I was walking into a minor league baseball stadium, a place frequented mostly by families with young kids (I was about 25 at the time and with my parents and my girlfriend) and some girl in her early teens stared at my hat so hard she managed to trip and injure her herself. Ever since then my mother has called me Fred MacMurray.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It never ceases to amaze me the quantity of talking monkeys out there that never hear the words spewing forth from their mouths. That folks wouldn't know what a fedora is, somewhat floors me. I know it isn't mainstream culture anymore but they still show up in mgazines, movies & the internet. One would thing that the word and the imagery would pop up into their semi-consciousness at some point. Go figure.

Cheers!

Dan

huysmans said:
I was walking into a minor league baseball stadium, a place frequented mostly by families with young kids (I was about 25 at the time and with my parents and my girlfriend) and some girl in her early teens stared at my hat so hard she managed to trip and injure her herself. Ever since then my mother has called me Fred MacMurray.

Maybe it was you she was staring at and not the hat. :D One could think that and it would be much better for the ego you know.;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay