Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They allow us to do whatever we tell them to allow us to do.

Oh, and about your kid's grade, things aren't lookin' so good right about now.

;)

Widebrim said:
I was wearing, I believe, a blue, pin strip double breasted suit with a gray, felt hat. Out of nowhere, a parent says to me, "I didn't know they allowed gangsters to work as teachers here!"

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
One fine morning near a local train station a fellow got fairly close while I was wearing my hat and gave me a funny dilated kind of evil-eye, mumbled something and seemed to be sizing up my hat to decide whether or not it was a threat. I have no idea what the comment actually was.

It was a Monday morning and from the look of him I’d say he was on some kind of drugs at the time, or had been on them the previous night.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Charlie Noodles said:
One fine morning near a local train station a fellow got fairly close while I was wearing my hat and gave me a funny dilated kind of evil-eye, mumbled something and seemed to be sizing up my hat to decide whether or not it was a threat. I have no idea what the comment actually was.

It was a Monday morning and from the look of him I’d say he was on some kind of drugs at the time, or had been on them the previous night.

It's amazing how something as simple as setting a piece of felt on top of your head can be threatening. In a world where exposing one's underpants and/or buttocks is considered flattering gesture of normality.

What the hell is going on here?

Jerekson

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Well, I've got one that is mentioned in the very first post, but given the situation in which it occurred, it takes on new dimensions of disrespect.

I'm a teacher at a "trendy" area of Los Angeles, where it is not unusual to see fathers wearing stingy brim hats, which makes this all the more odd. One day we were having some function in the auditorium, so picture an area fairly full of people. I was wearing, I believe, a blue, pin strip double breasted suit with a gray, felt hat. Out of nowhere, a parent says to me, "I didn't know they allowed gangsters to work as teachers here!" I was taken off guard, to say the least, and made some polite remark so as not to make a scene. Looking back in hindsight, I could have said something like, "No, but they allow idiots to be parents," but that might have put a blemish on my reputation, as well as provide an excuse for the principal to call me to her office...lol

May I ask what your polite comment was? I hope it wasn't too polite.

MAB1

Suspended
Widebrim said:
"I didn't know they allowed gangsters to work as teachers here!"

That was definitely a joke. Lighten up people.

If you're gonna wear a damn hat you best be prepared for some stupid comments coming your way. Not to mention the weird looks. :D

Jerekson said:
It's amazing how something as simple as setting a piece of felt on top of your head can be threatening. In a world where exposing one's underpants and/or buttocks is considered flattering gesture of normality. What the hell is going on here?

It has to do with people that consider life is portrayed truly and correctly by those "Girls Gone Wild" videos. [huh]

What else could you aspire to with out being some sort of dangerous freak?:eek:

MAB1

Suspended
If you didn't want to attract attention...

You wouldn't wear that damn hat.

When faced with adversity, do the hat crowd proud. Wave, smile and say hi.

A hat is nothing more than that, a damn hat. It's all about what's undernieth that hat.

Stand up. Be a MAN!

Wave and say Hello.

Set an example.

[EDIT: Yes, we do not speak that way around here. Kindly moderate your language in the future. -HJ]
I hate people like that.

Markus

MAB1 said:
If you didn't want to attract attention...

You wouldn't wear that damn hat.

When faced with adversity, do the hat crowd proud. Wave, smile and say hi.

A hat is nothing more than that, a damn hat. It's all about what's undernieth that hat.

Stand up. Be a MAN!

Wave and say Hello.

Set an example.

Whatever you do... don't come off like some fashionista, conceited prick.
I hate people like that.

Markus

Its a hat not a sandwich board dude. Get it right. Its not about attracting attention. :rolleyes: :D
Like the guy making the stupid comment isn't coming off like some jackass who wants to say something to look cute and get attention from his friends---like the drunks previously mentioned. Standing up for yourself and not taking guff from a fool IS being a MAN. :D :eusa_clap

Jerekson said:
It's amazing how something as simple as setting a piece of felt on top of your head can be threatening. In a world where exposing one's underpants and/or buttocks is considered flattering gesture of normality.

What the hell is going on here?

If you figure it out, let me know. I attribute it to some kind of degenerative mental disease they have yet to come up with a name for. How about:
Hooligan
Assanine
Trouble
Learning
Eventually to
Stay
Shut up
;) :p

Jerekson

One Too Many
MAB1, you need to take a break. If it is "just a damn hat"...then I do not understand why ignoring stupid comments is wrong.

It's just a damn hat, after all.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I'm in the club! I got my first Indy comment today.
I am building a electrical substation at a paper plant and I was signing in at the front gate this morning with my Akubra Sydney (c crown) on. A real @#$%^&^*#@* guard:)icon_smil ) turned to me as he was leaving and said,"I see you are clocking in for your vacation."
I said,"Yep, thats what Ironworkers do." without looking up and he then said,"Indiana Jones!" and started laughing as he walked away.
It was loud laughter at first and gradually tapered off as he realized he was the only one laughing. I was amusing as it was one of those laughs that when the person realizes they are the only one laughing instead of stopping the laugh quickly it slowly scales down in intensity (ackwardly). I look over at the female guard and tell her good morning, she thanks me and then looks at the back of the retreating guy and shakes her head. This guy is in his late forties, I would guess, and I would expect he would be more mature. Guess not.[huh]

handlebar bart said:
Okay, I'm in the club! I got my first Indy comment today.
I am building a electrical substation at a paper plant and I was signing in at the front gate this morning with my Akubra Sydney (c crown) on. A real @#$%^&^*#@* guard:)icon_smil ) turned to me as he was leaving and said,"I see you are clocking in for your vacation."
I said,"Yep, thats what Ironworkers do." without looking up and he then said,"Indiana Jones!" and started laughing as he walked away.
It was loud laughter at first and gradually tapered off as he realized he was the only one laughing. I was amusing as it was one of those laughs that when the person realizes they are the only one laughing instead of stopping the laugh quickly it slowly scales down in intensity (ackwardly). I look over at the female guard and tell her good morning, she thanks me and then looks at the back of the retreating guy and shakes her head. This guy is in his late forties, I would guess, and I would expect he would be more mature. Guess not.[huh]

as my grandfather once said: Age is not a cure for stupid. Sometimes it just gets worse with it. :rolleyes:

Spats McGee

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
as my grandfather once said: Age is not a cure for stupid. Sometimes it just gets worse with it. :rolleyes:

lol Yep, that's very similar to a comment I'v heard all my life: Wisdom doesn't always come with age. Sometimes age comes alone. lol

When a five-year-old asks me if I'm a cowboy, it's cute. When a thirty-five year old does it, . . . well, not so much.

troy

One of the Regulars
What do you think?

I've heard several of the dumb comments posted here, but I have a new favorite that I heard just this week.

I'm at work walking back to my building from being outside smoking and this guy I recognize from the hospital (I work at a hospital) says "What's with the hat?" I'm thinking that's really a question that answers itself, so I point to my head and reply "It's for my head." Shame on me for thinking that might be enough to shut him up... he says "yeah, but that's not your only one right? You have more than one hat right?" Now I'm practically amazed at the line of questioning and reply "that's right - they're all for my head. They're hats, that's what they make 'em for." I'm not sure what he was expecting, maybe he thought I would say something like "It harness my neural impulses and allows me to read minds" or "Ive come here from another planet, and this is the type of helmet we wear in our space ships."

It's a hat - what do you think it's for?!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
troy said:
I've heard several of the dumb comments posted here, but I have a new favorite that I heard just this week.

I'm at work walking back to my building from being outside smoking and this guy I recognize from the hospital (I work at a hospital) says "What's with the hat?" I'm thinking that's really a question that answers itself, so I point to my head and reply "It's for my head." Shame on me for thinking that might be enough to shut him up... he says "yeah, but that's not your only one right? You have more than one hat right?" Now I'm practically amazed at the line of questioning and reply "that's right - they're all for my head. They're hats, that's what they make 'em for." I'm not sure what he was expecting, maybe he thought I would say something like "It harness my neural impulses and allows me to read minds" or "Ive come here from another planet, and this is the type of helmet we wear in our space ships."

It's a hat - what do you think it's for?!
Line it with tin foil. :) Then if he makes another such comment, show him the inside and explain in an agitated manner and with a wild look in your eyes, how you used to be crazy,...and the hat is to shield your brain from dangerous cosmic rays, or evil thoughts. Go off on it. lol Betcha he would leave ya alone after that.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Line it with tin foil. :) Then if he makes another such comment, show him the inside and explain in an agitated manner and with a wild look in your eyes, how you used to be crazy,...and the hat is to shield your brain from dangerous cosmic rays, or evil thoughts. Go off on it. lol Betcha he would leave ya alone after that.

In a voice like Jim from Taxi of course. lol lol lol lol lol

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
In Seattle if you wear anything but a baseball hat, tennis shoes, and worn jeans you get "wow, you look all dressed up. What's the occasion?"

and anytime you wear a vintage topcoat or trenchcoat out in public someone will invariably quip "dude, you look like a flasher.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails