Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

Not exactly a dumb comment(s), more of an odd one(s)... Not strictly related to hats.

Yesterday I went to a co-workers dinner. It was an impromptu and informal one, just something that someone spontaneously suggested. In fact, it was a free day for me, so a friend called to let me know.

Code of dress (there is no official code, BTW) at my workplace is very casual, with jeans and cargo pants being usual, coupled with t-shirts and similar attire, trainers being the typical footwear. Those more dressy wear polo or button down shirts, suit jackets are rare, ties almost unheard of. I am the only one that wears always suit jacket, tie and shoes, plus a fedora. My line of work, BTW, is law enforcement, plainclothes assignment, in a crime scene unit.

The dinner being informal, held in a informal place, and the greater part of attendants going there straight after work shift, I anticipated the usual casual attire would prevail. So, I went casual too, button-down shirt, jeans and sneakers. I have casual hats that go well with this, but chose not to wear one - I often do when I go to a place new for me, and I am not sure if I will find where to leave the hat, which happens sometimes at restaurants, pubs and the like.

Well, several of my colleagues expressed his surprise at my unusual outfit - this was probably to be expected because many of them have not met me outside a work environment and are not used to seeing me out of dressier outfits; but some did not get why I had chosen to follow their casual standards for the occassion, apparently could not understand I had thought better to dress more casually in order not to stand out. A couple even said it was "dissapointing". One did not admit my reasoning about wanting to adapt; he said I did not mind to stand out at work because of my attire, he being unable to see the rationale about keeping distinct standards of dress for work, and trying to keep a professional appearance.

Mind you, I wear dressier clothes at work because I want, because of the reasons outlined; and I like to wear similar clothes, or dressier ones, off work too; but the dinner WAS NOT a formal meeting, so I did not think dressy clothes were right. I considered following the preponderant casual standard was the approppriate thing to do. In fact, as I anticipated, NOBODY wore dressy clothes, everybody dressed as per the usual casual standards. But my decision to NOT wear clothes which I think were NOT adequate for the occassion was not much understood, at least by some people.

So it was an odd situation. [huh] What do you think?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Torpedo, I work in a law enforcement agency too, so will venture a guess that anytime a coworker can rib you about something, they will. And they usually do it because they like you. They are used to seeing you looking quite dapper (which they may kid you about and which they probably, secretly, wish they could attain in their choice of clothes), so the casual attire was just the little morsel they needed to tease you. I'd let it roll off... but would be sure to look extra sharp on my next day at work. ;) :)

Torpedo

One Too Many
Lily Powers said:
Torpedo, I work in a law enforcement agency too, so will venture a guess that anytime a coworker can rib you about something, they will. And they usually do it because they like you. They are used to seeing you looking quite dapper (which they may kid you about and which they probably, secretly, wish they could attain in their choice of clothes), so the casual attire was just the little morsel they needed to tease you.

Hi Lily,

Yes, they tease me at work too, always in good nature, I have no problem with it. Hey, I tease them too, so I take it well. You are right that kidding (about whatever) is frequent, and, it being good natured, contributes to a good environment.

I get compliments on my dapper style too, so I know it is generally appreciated, even if some probably take it as eccentric. They know it is natural to me, so to say, and I always avoid making comments depreciating other colleagues's dress choice or that may be taken as haughty on that respect - this I believe is important for your own style being accepted well. Some have admitted they would like to be "so daring" as well - so maybe some will, some day... To this end, setting an example that others may chose to follow is appropriate, but harshly judging or critizicing is not. Or so I think.

Lily Powers said:
I'd let it roll off... but would be sure to look extra sharp on my next day at work.

I see we are very much in the same tune, because that's something I had already decided to do. ;-)

metropd

One Too Many
Torpedo said:
Hello,

Not exactly a dumb comment(s), more of an odd one(s)... Not strictly related to hats.

Yesterday I went to a co-workers dinner. It was an impromptu and informal one, just something that someone spontaneously suggested. In fact, it was a free day for me, so a friend called to let me know.

Code of dress (there is no official code, BTW) at my workplace is very casual, with jeans and cargo pants being usual, coupled with t-shirts and similar attire, trainers being the typical footwear. Those more dressy wear polo or button down shirts, suit jackets are rare, ties almost unheard of. I am the only one that wears always suit jacket, tie and shoes, plus a fedora. My line of work, BTW, is law enforcement, plainclothes assignment, in a crime scene unit.

The dinner being informal, held in a informal place, and the greater part of attendants going there straight after work shift, I anticipated the usual casual attire would prevail. So, I went casual too, button-down shirt, jeans and sneakers. I have casual hats that go well with this, but chose not to wear one - I often do when I go to a place new for me, and I am not sure if I will find where to leave the hat, which happens sometimes at restaurants, pubs and the like.

Well, several of my colleagues expressed his surprise at my unusual outfit - this was probably to be expected because many of them have not met me outside a work environment and are not used to seeing me out of dressier outfits; but some did not get why I had chosen to follow their casual standards for the occassion, apparently could not understand I had thought better to dress more casually in order not to stand out. A couple even said it was "dissapointing". One did not admit my reasoning about wanting to adapt; he said I did not mind to stand out at work because of my attire, he being unable to see the rationale about keeping distinct standards of dress for work, and trying to keep a professional appearance.

Mind you, I wear dressier clothes at work because I want, because of the reasons outlined; and I like to wear similar clothes, or dressier ones, off work too; but the dinner WAS NOT a formal meeting, so I did not think dressy clothes were right. I considered following the preponderant casual standard was the approppriate thing to do. In fact, as I anticipated, NOBODY wore dressy clothes, everybody dressed as per the usual casual standards. But my decision to NOT wear clothes which I think were NOT adequate for the occassion was not much understood, at least by some people.

So it was an odd situation. [huh] What do you think?

I think your fellow officers being disappointed and critical of you being casually dressed is a wonderful compliment because it reinforces are views about style.:) ;) Are you with Cuerpo Nacional de Policía or Guarda civil?:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Torpedo

One Too Many
metropd said:
I think your fellow officers being disappointed and critical of you being casually dressed is a wonderful compliment because it reinforces are views about style.:) ;) Are you with Cuerpo Nacional de Policía or Guarda civil?:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Hi,

I am with none of the above ;) .

I am with Mossos d'Esquadra, Catalonia's national police force. Sort of a state force, Catalonia being an authonomous community inside Spain (the only other authonomic police force being the Ertzanza, in the Basque Country). We are fully competent in every area, except frontiers and some overlapping in a few internationally-oriented subjects, like terrorism or narcotraffic.

Mossos d'Esquadra is a traditional name, adopted when the modern Catalan law enforcement force was created in the late 80's - Mossos d'Esquadra being one of the oldest police organizations in Europe, having been originally formed in the late XVI century.

Regards!

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
Could be taken as good or bad.

The other evening while rushing to catch the train home from Philly after a long day's work, a co-worker (same company but not same department), was walking in same direction with me. He said, "hey, where's your machine gun". I was wearing braces, nice white dress shirt, colorful tie, black Florsheim wing tips, and my grey Adam with wide black ribbon - bow in rear - Skipped the coat that day. In a way I was a bit insulted because I was on the receiving end of what apparently was supposed to be a joke, but on the other hand, at least he was relatively accurate on the period/style I was attempting to go for. In other words, at least it wasn't an off the wall Amish, Inspector gadget or Indy comment. I've previously been called inspector Gadget by some teens. To make a long story short, I just laughed along, and told him I left the gun at home. hehehe. I wonder if we'll hear more "gangster" related "jokes" now since the recent release of Public Enemies. Just a thought.

kowalskt63 said:
The other evening while rushing to catch the train home from Philly after a long day's work, a co-worker (same company but not same department), was walking in same direction with me. He said, "hey, where's your machine gun". I was wearing braces, nice white dress shirt, colorful tie, black Florsheim wing tips, and my grey Adam with wide black ribbon - bow in rear - Skipped the coat that day. In a way I was a bit insulted because I was on the receiving end of what apparently was supposed to be a joke, but on the other hand, at least he was relatively accurate on the period/style I was attempting to go for. In other words, at least it wasn't an off the wall Amish, Inspector gadget or Indy comment. I've previously been called inspector Gadget by some teens. To make a long story short, I just laughed along, and told him I left the gun at home. hehehe. I wonder if we'll hear more "gangster" related "jokes" now since the recent release of Public Enemies. Just a thought.

I got the other end of that one. I got called a G-Man on the Niles Canyon Railroad. :D Riding a Steam powered train had to be done in period clothing as far as my son and I were concerned. :D
I just laughed. I can deal with G-Man while wearing a suit with a fedora on. My son must have looked like a junior G-Man then. :rolleyes:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
kowalskt63 said:
The other evening while rushing to catch the train home from Philly after a long day's work, a co-worker (same company but not same department), was walking in same direction with me. He said, "hey, where's your machine gun".

Maybe the appropriate answer would have been, "My people carry machine guns, I just give the orders to use them when someone bugs me"

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I think they were probably just amazed to see someone so young (such as a gent/young pup of maybe 25) wearing a hat at all, and a panama at that! Good for you!

OddSteve said:
... But a few weeks ago I wore my panama to town, and when I passed a group of elderly women,... She then whispered (good ears ;) ) something like "...and he looks like twenty-five..." to the others.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Yesterday evening, I went into town in chinos, a short-sleeved shirt and my panama hat.
I passed by a couple of teenagers who started humming a melody I didn't recognise and mumbled something about "the undertaker"... I had absolutely no idea what they meant and choose to ignore them ;)

Now, I just did an image search and found a picture of this gentleman:

undertaker04.jpg

I don't want to sound older than I am, but seriously...

Man, what's up with these kids today? [huh]

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
OddSteve said:
Yesterday evening, I went into town in chinos, a short-sleeved shirt and my panama hat.
I passed by a couple of teenagers who started humming a melody I didn't recognise and mumbled something about "the undertaker"... I had absolutely no idea what they meant and choose to ignore them ;)

Now, I just did an image search and found a picture of this gentleman:

undertaker04.jpg

lol I guess it is safe to assume you were wearing none of that getup..........................I think there is something wrong with kids these days

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
A few days ago I steped out of the main campus building wearing my dark blue db raincoat and black fedora, and stopped against the side of the building to light my pipe. While doing so, from a group of builders having a lunch break on the benches (they're re-doing the stonework on the roof), I heard the Inspector Gadget theme being sung.

This isn't the first time I've gotten the IG comment, though I get it less than the Indy one.

Hal

Practically Family
Nick D said:
A few days ago I stepped out of the main campus building wearing my dark blue db raincoat and black fedora, and stopped against the side of the building to light my pipe. While doing so, from a group of builders having a lunch break on the benches (they're re-doing the stonework on the roof), I heard the Inspector Gadget theme being sung.
This isn't the first time I've gotten the IG comment, though I get it less than the Indy one.

As you were clearly wearing the raincoat and fedora for practical reasons (much of Britain had wet weather at the time), the builders' reaction is even sillier than if your main motive had been a stylistic one. I cannot see how a hat worn by anyone for practical reasons is a stylistic affectation. You also may well have been more practically dressed for the weather than they were.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
OddSteve said:

It seems that we all ask that question sooner or later, but once you ask it, there is no going back. It's a little easier for us who buy 'vintage' hats that are younger than we are! lol

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I was wearing a pair off vintage Nettleton croc split toes the other day and the Team Leader (who had seen me wear them before) said:

"What animal died for those shoes!" ....lol :eek: ;)

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
Once in a blue moon, I'll get a mormon person asking me what ward I'm in? (I wear a lot of 30s dresses and I guess a lot of the mormon women wear that style to church, or something) Nothing against them, I just think it's funny.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo, you set a wonderful example of style and elegance that apparently is seldom seen, and as you say at work for the most part admired and appreciated. Like the 8th grade English teacher at our children's middle school- he wears dress slacks, tie and a dress shirt everyday. When I asked him about it, he said that he sets an example, but I can tell that that style is very natural for him.

You give others a model to aspire to. Someday another "daring" one may appear... You will have been the one to help turn the tide.

Torpedo

I get compliments on my dapper style too, so I know it is generally appreciated, even if some probably take it as eccentric. They know it is natural to me, so to say, and I always avoid making comments depreciating other colleagues's dress choice or that may be taken as haughty on that respect - this I believe is important for your own style being accepted well. Some have admitted they would like to be "so daring" as well - so maybe some will, some day... To this end, setting an example that others may chose to follow is appropriate, but harshly judging or critizicing is not. Or so I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo