Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

Edward

Bartender
feltfan said:
I am also nearly desperate to have a strap for it,
if anyone knows a source of a decent quality leather strap
with a vintage look.

I'm sure I read that Dr Jones' leather strap (which replaced the issue canvas strap) on his Mk VIII Gas Mask bag that he carried on adventures was a military issue leatherr rifle sling.... shouldn't be hard to find one of those from a re-enactment company, and probably cheaper than buying one specifically for a briefcase. If that is on the narrow side / you want to carry pretty heavy stuff, you might also try one of these:

247848jpg.jpg

Vintage (1950s) style leather guitar straps. These are from Fender, though you can usually also find unbranded ones which are just as good but cheaper and without any logo. Typically, you can find them in the two colours in the picture, plus a deep-mid brown (think milk chocolate or Coca-Cola rather than cognac). You might need to shorten one of these, depending on how high you want to wear your bag, or if you don'tg tend to wear it with the strap across the body, but they would be easily modified with a sharp knife or scissors and a hole punch. The beauty of these is the shoulder pad, which allows for a narrow strap that doesn't get in the way elsewhere, yet spread the weight on your shoulder so that a hefty solid body guitar doesn't give you a pain. I can stand with one of these on for an hour or two, and that's with an ash-bodied Telecaster hanging off it....

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Cambridge Satchel Company

"I ordered this as a gift for a Chum's Birthday, only to fall in love with it myself, and its such a "Good Companion" for this pair of Two tone spectators!

3599009561_2f39669a95.jpg

No "Namby Pamby" butter soft leather here! its built as strong as your favourite saddle, you could easily transport, treasured books , a Decanter of whiskey, glasses and a pork pie, in Absolute safety.

3599810976_6d64f4bb80.jpg

It was delivered in a plastic package which revealed a "Brown paper package tied up with string" a lovely touch! I am going to have to order another one for myself, with my own initials this time embossed in silver ASAP!

http://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Ask about today's men's bag style: do I live in different period?

OK, in one of local forum I joined, there's a thread about men's bag style, and a site is mentioned, as one of the good source: www.aggavara.com

I was shocked to see the style shown there. Watch the catalog by yourself. Especially the first row. Aren't such bags supposed to be worn by ladies? If men carried such bags, don't you think it would look weird? When I utter this disbelief in that thread, other members of that forum replied more or less like this: "Bro, they are men's bags. Ever heard about tote bag? See some reference in Esquire or other men's magazine. they are common"

Is that true?

I can only think, what would a gentlemen need a tote bag for?

I don't intend to mock any people here, so if anyone's offended, I'm sorry. but I think such bags (most of them, not all) would make men look like sissies.

Need your opinions, ladies & gentlemen of the lounge???

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I live in NYC and since I commute via subway and on foot to work and back, I carry a bag. Some times I use a modern messenger bag by Manhattan Portage... when it may rain, snow or is doing one or the other. Otherwise, I carry a M-1936 field (Musette) bag ...have two of these that are mear mint. Other days, I'll carry an M6 gas mask bag or a Map/Dispatch Case (both also mint and WWII vintage).

I love using all of them.

- Ian

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I'm entirely comfortable holding a woman's purse for a while if she asks me to, maybe while she's trying something on in a dressing room. Ergo, I wonder if maybe some guys have insecurity issues, not wanting their "murse" or "manbag" to be scoffed upon, or worse, jeered. I say, if you need a carrying device, use one! And exude self-confidence while doing so.

Very funny thread, by the way. Great humor throughout!

Now, by grubs, I'll be looking for a "satchel" or "haversack" or "rucksack" myself!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I take my crow raw and flapping.

Just bought a shoulder bag to carry my laptop to and from school.

Rest assured, I'm putting a knife or something dangerous in there as well. :D

rumblefish

One Too Many
carebear said:
Rest assured, I'm putting a knife or something dangerous in there as well. :D
lol
Whew,,,

or a half opened can of Vienna sausages...

I was going to say something like, "One shouldn't be allowed to post on 'Show us your guns' and 'Man Purse'"... You Carebear, could be the exception...:D

Edward

Bartender
rumblefish said:
I was going to say something like, "One shouldn't be allowed to post on 'Show us your guns' and 'Man Purse'"... You Carebear, could be the exception...:D

No danger of that from UK members. lol TBH, though, even if it was legally permissible, I think I'd still find much more use for a bag than a gun! :p

AtomicEraTom said:
My sister carries one like this, but it's a Confederate Flag, and probably not big enough to fit a 2 liter of pop in.

I might skip that one for NYC.... ;)

Yohanes said:
OK, in one of local forum I joined, there's a thread about men's bag style, and a site is mentioned, as one of the good source: www.aggavara.com

I was shocked to see the style shown there. Watch the catalog by yourself. Especially the first row. Aren't such bags supposed to be worn by ladies? If men carried such bags, don't you think it would look weird? When I utter this disbelief in that thread, other members of that forum replied more or less like this: "Bro, they are men's bags. Ever heard about tote bag? See some reference in Esquire or other men's magazine. they are common"

Is that true?

I can only think, what would a gentlemen need a tote bag for?

I don't intend to mock any people here, so if anyone's offended, I'm sorry. but I think such bags (most of them, not all) would make men look like sissies.

Need your opinions, ladies & gentlemen of the lounge???

I imagine that the intended purpose of such bags would be pretty much identical to those outlined above, albeit that FL members tend to prefer someting which would be seen as more traditionally "manly". As to a matter of style.... Well, yes, to my eyes also many of those bags look very effeminate - not that I'd think any less of a man who chose to carry one. Then, to put them in context, if you look at the male models in the likes of Esquire and especially on the catwalk, the whole overall demeanour might be considered to be rather more effeminate than would be the typical mainstream. I gather that in southern Europe, particularly Italy, small leather manbags which resemble a handle / strapless (apart from, in some cases, a small wrist-strap) have been very acceptable, actually desirable, for quite some time. Whatever we northern Europeans, or those further West, might think about such "womanly" styles, those Italian men are rarely less than entirely confident about their own manliness.

On the whole, I am very much of the opinion that whether something is considered "manly" or "unmanly" is very much a cultural construct. See, for example, the way what we regard as a 'skirt' is very much a female thing, and yet many of us would also consider than an almost identical item with just a few tweaks to make it a kilt is one of the most manly garments there is. Indeed, by contemporary standards, many of the Golden Era accessories that we Loungers find desirable - old watches, fountain pens, and the rest - are of a smaller and fancier design that today (where big and chunky = masculine) would commonly be considered effeminate.

Edward said:
Indeed, by contemporary standards, many of the Golden Era accessories that we Loungers find desirable - old watches, fountain pens, and the rest - are of a smaller and fancier design that today (where big and chunky = masculine) would commonly be considered effeminate.
Actually when it comes to vintage fountain pens large pens from about the teens on were considered manly. Watermans Giant, Parker Duofold Seniors and numerous other large pens were consider the epitome of masculinity. Many of the pen models were made as a series with two or three and even more sizes. The maximum size was the man's pen often considered as for the bank president, business tycoon type, next size down ordinary guy, the petite ones were ladies pens for the purse or even smaller the pocket pens for the traveler. It continues today with Delta's Dolce Vita series, Sailor has the large and medium 1911, Visconti's Van Gogh also in large and medium.

Today though it's considered more of a nice convience to find a pen tht is sized for your hand and grip type. As one gets older or perhaps gets arthritis often we find larger pens are easier to hold and use. Slender pens are uncomfortable for me, I (unconsciously) hold them too tight.

Panache

A-List Customer
Hi my name is Jamie and I carry a messenger bag

I got this simple khaki canvas messenger bag at Target on clearance for about $15.

It is perfect for carrying my 10X50 binoculars, my Sibley's Guide, a note book, water bottle, and snack when out birding.

DSC09532.jpg

At the highland games it is a convenient way to carry my purchases, a picnic blanket, and snacks.

DSC09624.jpg

(Can you tell which of these gentlemen in this picture is a Scottish Country Dancer and which one is participates in the Heavy Athletic Events? lol )

While there are ladies purses that take after messenger bags, I really have trouble believing that anyone is going to think that the majority of bags/satchels/etc on this thread are anything but masculine.

I would much rather carry my gear in comfortable style than overburden my jacket and pant's pockets with too much stuff.

Cheers

Jamie

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I imagine that the intended purpose of such bags would be pretty much identical to those outlined above, albeit that FL members tend to prefer someting which would be seen as more traditionally "manly". As to a matter of style.... Well, yes, to my eyes also many of those bags look very effeminate - not that I'd think any less of a man who chose to carry one. Then, to put them in context, if you look at the male models in the likes of Esquire and especially on the catwalk, the whole overall demeanour might be considered to be rather more effeminate than would be the typical mainstream. I gather that in southern Europe, particularly Italy, small leather manbags which resemble a handle / strapless (apart from, in some cases, a small wrist-strap) have been very acceptable, actually desirable, for quite some time. Whatever we northern Europeans, or those further West, might think about such "womanly" styles, those Italian men are rarely less than entirely confident about their own manliness.

On the whole, I am very much of the opinion that whether something is considered "manly" or "unmanly" is very much a cultural construct. See, for example, the way what we regard as a 'skirt' is very much a female thing, and yet many of us would also consider than an almost identical item with just a few tweaks to make it a kilt is one of the most manly garments there is. Indeed, by contemporary standards, many of the Golden Era accessories that we Loungers find desirable - old watches, fountain pens, and the rest - are of a smaller and fancier design that today (where big and chunky = masculine) would commonly be considered effeminate.

Thank u very much for your response. I knew it that many of them are more suitable for ladies. For men's small bag or purse, I can only think of one item that I won't be hesitant to carry: the Bible bag. :) but only in the right occasion of course, as it is intended to be used.

When working, I usually carry a black ballistic nylon cloth brief case to chuck a lot of the junk and "stuff" in to haul around. Most places I have been able to bring in a small radio / cd player for my desk that is at low low volumes not to bother the others so CD's are often a part of the haul. Reading material for lunch and breaks and a bag lunch sometimes. A variety of first aid stuff and anti acid tablets for those bummer days. A fountain pen or 2 and maybe my check book and bills to fill out at lunch now and then. No laptop yet, I am hoping to get one next year. With the briefcase, I don't like to have the strap over my shoulder around my neck, I am afraid of getting caught on something and getting hurt.[huh] So I rarely do it, mostly if i have a lot of stuf to carry.

Sometimes I get tired of the cloth briefcase and switch to a knapsack type book bag like the college kids used to use.

Edward

Bartender
John in Covina said:
Actually when it comes to vintage fountain pens large pens from about the teens on were considered manly. Watermans Giant, Parker Duofold Seniors and numerous other large pens were consider the epitome of masculinity. Many of the pen models were made as a series with two or three and even more sizes. The maximum size was the man's pen often considered as for the bank president, business tycoon type, next size down ordinary guy, the petite ones were ladies pens for the purse or even smaller the pocket pens for the traveler. It continues today with Delta's Dolce Vita series, Sailor has the large and medium 1911, Visconti's Van Gogh also in large and medium.

Today though it's considered more of a nice convience to find a pen tht is sized for your hand and grip type. As one gets older or perhaps gets arthritis often we find larger pens are easier to hold and use. Slender pens are uncomfortable for me, I (unconsciously) hold them too tight.

Interesting - I was aware of there being different sizes of vintage pens, but I wasn't aware they'd approach the sort of size typical now. I suppose it's a case of better design: all vintage pens I've encountered directly have a more svelte appearance to them (even if, thinking of my beloved Parker 51s, they're not actually any smaller than my modern pens), whereas something like, say, a modern Lamy always looks very blocky and chunky.

Regarding the size thing, what mileage do you find in a Freudian interpretation thereof? lol

Edward said:
Interesting. Regarding the size thing, what mileage do you find in a Freudian interpretation thereof? lol

If it was all Freudian, no man would buy a snub nosed revolver.(Or any small gun for that matter!)

AS to the big subject but related to the guns, Fanny packs were the thing for a long time, today a fanny pack Identifies the wearer as an off duty policeman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran