Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elusive Portis ...

deanglen said:
Baron, please forgive my crass lack of sophistication in looking askance at the color of the hat, it was a petty objection from one whose tastes in hats is admittedly pedestrian. I withdraw the critique and offer simply an approval of a great vintage find. My objection to the color was not a rejection of the hat as a fine hat, but I initially felt the color would limit the wearing of it with one's wardrobe; the grey and brown hats have a greater flexibility. I should have been ckearer on that point.

dean

I understood you, Dean. I have the same issue with it myself. What on earth to wear it with? And where to wear it and avoid having ones light knocked out, as they say. I get enough homophobic taunting as it is, wearing my "normal" coloured hats. I can't imagine what reaction this one will elicit from the less enlightened of our fellows.

(given that i was planning to wear it with a white suit, i imagine the reactions would NOT be favourable)

Certain parts of London, it will be fine. Other parts not so fine. Wouldn't wear it to a soccer game, let's say. For the record, the reaction of the missus was thus: "Expect a kicking"

bk

John in Covina said:
That is superb, and color wise pretty unique. What do you figure to pair it with dress clothes wise?

I'm thinking that very very high contrast wil be the way to go. Worn with a black or dark grey suit, perhaps? or a very light coloured suit with faint red tones, maybe? It will be purely trial and error. I'll get something together out of my wardrobe, i'm sure ...

bk

DOUGLAS said:
Damn, Some people have all the luck. That is a truly superb Portis BK. I love mine but man, did you find the hat !!!! Congrats, a great find.

As i say, the midwest is the place to be for vintage right now. The coasts are picked to death and have been for a number of years. If you want stuff not from eBay, this is the region to find it.

DOUGLAS said:
Did you buy the Resistol Too?

No, but i've had a request for it, so i'll go in and pick it up later today ...

bk

spiridon

A-List Customer
Sorry to be redundant, but WOW!!! Great looking hat Baron.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Hmmmmmmmm.....Portis.....another hat to add to my "gotta find" list!:D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Spectacular! I've got to get out of the compound more often and do some searching.

Matching the color: it's sort of like having a smarmy line to deliver in a play. Best to just run with it and go hammy. A pink shirt and loud tie under darker browns?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Chaps, if you can't find good hats cheaply on the coasts any more, come to the midwest. This place is brimming (he he) with 'em.

I don't know about that...I spent all day Saturday scouring antique malls around St. Louis and came up empty handed! Where are all these great hats hiding?? (Send me your reply via PM...no need to spoil the thrill of the hunt for all of the others, eh?) ;) lol

Your Portis is outstanding...certainly a terrific find! The closest I've ever come to one was an empty (and overpriced) hat box! Congratulations!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Want Ad in the newspaper

This has probably been done, but I've considered putting an ad in the classified expressing interest in vintage men's dress hats, fedoras, etc. Has anyone done it? How sucessful was it?

dean

DOUGLAS

Bk, You should buy every hat in site regardless of size or color because if that Portis is any indication of whats out there man o man you can sell them like hot cakes.

You could always wait and walk around with FeltFan with his acid green Borsalino. No one will say spit about you and your peach Portis.

I must admit that most of the hats i see for sale are truly horrific. But the ratio of great ones (early Stetsons - remember that great store where i got a grey whippet, a green stratoliner and a green playboy for $45?, Borsalinos, THE Portis) is the highest i've encountered. And at rock bottom prices - lower than $30 every one ...

I pick up and pass on all the good ones tha don't fit me.

bk

Benny Holiday

Congrats on a super find, Baron

Alas, there are no hats to be found in vintage or antique shops here, let alone a size 7 (my size too!). I've been looking for years and years. Koopkooper and I only recently shared our perplexity at the lack of hats. We know men wore them here in spades - so where did they all go?

Anyway, the Portis is great!

ideaguy said:
Nice hat. Better box!!

The box really does top it off. They had a penchant for fancy boxes in the 30s, no?

The only other one i've found in an original company box (as opposed to a box from the store it was bought in) was a 30s Adam. The box is great. It has an early 18th century fop with his top hat cocked at an incredibly rakish angle. What a rogue! And the hat is great too. Pity it shrunk to about 6 3/4 at some point. I need to get that one stretched out. it is a GREAT hat. Must get around to posting that someday.

bk

44forrest

New in Town
I picture that hat with light beigh or tan suite and salmon colored tie and two tone wingtip shoes, salmon and white, at the ractrack sitting in the VIP box. No one would dare question your manhood but all other men would just avert their eyes in shame, unable to confront such secure masculinty. Crowds would part for you, bellhops would feel unworthy of your tip, women would sigh as you passed, the maitradi automatically guides you, with much fanfare, to the finest table in the house while the chef and the owner personally check with you as to your level of satisfaction with the whole dining experience and begging you to return as you leave.

That is some hat.

You can find me on a stool in my Resistol at the "Taco Shack" shoving an overstuffed burrito into my mouth with hot sauce dribbling down my chin, unworthy of such a hat. But if I had it.........................

lol lol lol

I'm really starting to like the idea of a white suit - a la mark Twain - coordinate the shirt with the hat and socks to match the shirt, high contrast tie and spectators. All pastels for everything but the suit ... must see if any shoe company can provide me with leather for the spectators to match the hat ...

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany