Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fit of your A2 fit.

Feraud

Bartender
Would anyone care to comment on the fit of their A2?
What brand and is it a fuller modern or slimmer vintage styled fit?
I think this info would help us newbies answer some questions before selecting a jacket.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Personally for me my Eastmans feel looser and a bit more roomier, Aeros feel trimmer as with my Buzz Rickson. Real McCoys RMNZ have a weird sizing as I am a size 42" and fit into their size 46! I guess it really depends on your own body shape....I unfortunately am developing the middle aged spread now !;)

kojax

Practically Family
i have a a2 horsehide u.s.mfg size 36 fits very.not roomy but a nice ovrall fit no baggy like the jackets today.......i have a a2 goatskin flight suite size 38 a nice fit to..............every mfg jackets vary in size..

Bebop

Practically Family
I usually wear a size 40 in sport coat and I have a US Authentic goat in size 40 that fits perfectly trim and comfortable. I can move whichever way I need to move and still feel the jacket is sort of clinging to me without any uncomfortable binding. My shirt sleeves are 33-34 and the US Authentic's sleeves are just right with the right amount of cuff showing.
I also have a Willis and Geiger HH in size 40 that fits just as well on the body but the sleeves are a little too long. Being HH, it does not cling to me as well and is not as comfortable as the goat but I would say the size is trim and military yet comfortable.
I have had Cooper A-2s that were too loose. I don't like the Coopers because of the lack of military fit.
I hope soon I can comment on an Aero.

green papaya

One Too Many
I prefer a fuller cut

I have a stocky build, so I prefer a fuller cut A2 the slimmer cuts are too uncomfortbale and restrictive

a Cooper size 46 Regular fits good on me

5 ft 7 185

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I prefer to layer under my A-2 (an early '90s vintage Schott), as it's one of my cold weather knockaround coats. My Schott is a size 46 in the military cut (I am 5'10 1/2", 185# and take a 42-43R suit coat).

The big size allows layering well, altho the waist ends above the hem of most sweaters. Despite the short waist, the sleeves are very long (I'd estimate 37" from center back with the cuff unfolded; I only take a 35" sleeve in shirts).

It seems odd to us today, but the military cut A-2 wasn't meant to be worn over anything but a shirt. Electric flight suits and the like went OVER the jacket.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
I prefer to layer under my A-2 (an early '90s vintage Schott), as it's one of my cold weather knockaround coats. My Schott is a size 46 in the military cut (I am 5'10 1/2", 185# and take a 42-43R suit coat).

The big size allows layering well, altho the waist ends above the hem of most sweaters. Despite the short waist, the sleeves are very long (I'd estimate 37" from center back with the cuff unfolded; I only take a 35" sleeve in shirts).

It seems odd to us today, but the military cut A-2 wasn't meant to be worn over anything but a shirt. Electric flight suits and the like went OVER the jacket.

The short waist syndrome always plagued me too whenever wearing a sweater under an A2. Until I saw the measurement comparison chart at the Acme Depot site and saw that the U.S. Authentics were a bit longer than all other maker's jackets. So that's one reason why I chose their jacket.

A2_Junkie

New in Town
A variety of fits...just like the originals

I have an Eastman Rough Wear 1401P, size 42. I normally wear a size 40 regular suit jacket. I suspect that, if I had purchased the jacket in size 40, I'd have a snug fit around the shoulders and chest. As it is, the shoulder seam is just off my shoulders and there is some room in the chest. I can wear a sweater under it and it fits snug.

You need to decide what look you're going for. Some like the "ideal", trim look of the '30's and early 40's. Others, want flexibility with layers and bellies. However, I wouldn't worry too much about being historically inaccurate if you have a less than tight fit, here's why:

A-2's were mass produced and issued (and re-issued). I doubt there was a tailor on hand when they were given out and I wouldn't be surprised if some guys ended up with 40's when they needed 38's. In fact, you can check out pictures of aircrews and see a variety of fits. Some guys have snug A-2's and a lot have them hanging off of their shoulders. Take a look at the Official Doolittle Raiders website. They have photos of the different crews which show a wide range of fits: http://www.doolittletokyoraiders.com/index.html

I know that Eastman (and to a lesser extent History Preservation Assoc., the US distributor of Eastman) will help you get the fit YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. Also, I've heard that Real McCoys and some other higher end A-2 reproduction makers are very helpful as well. My advice is to talk to the vendor of your choice and order one. You owe yourself a try-on. Return it, if you don't like it. It takes time and it's REALLY HARD to wait for a jacket, but it is worth it to get the fit you want. Heck, you pay a lot for it.

-Peter

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
My A2 is tight enough that I have to pull the sleeves off my arms instead of letting gravity drag them off like most of my jackets.
However it is comfortable and easy to move in.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

greyhound68

A-List Customer
It is interesting my Buzz RW fits perfectly not too loose not too tight size 42. My RMNZ RW size 44 fits snug but not overly snug. My Dubow RMNZ 46 fits about like the Buzz RW in some ways. So as you can see every jacket fits a bit different. Still like everyone of those.

Marv

A-List Customer
I prefer the slighty room'er fit myself, I wear a 44 normally but my ELC Star is a 46 which gives me the fit I prefer which is snug on the arms and loose in the body allowing me to wear pretty much what I want underneath in comfort.
I also have an ELC house in 44 which fits fine also but is a little trim hence the next size up.........it's all about personal preference and what's comfortable for you, if you look at WW2 pictures of aircrew you will see all kinds of fitting from loose/baggy to snug/tight so there isn't any definitive type of fit I don't think.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
I prefer a tighter more WWII fit. Although the A-2 fit was all over the place since you really didn't have much say as to what size you got issued. For example, take a look at the picture below, as far as a standard fit, there really wasn't one.

Pilots.jpg

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I prefer the closer fit. If the A2 can accommodate anything more than a light-weight sweater underneath, I think it's too loose. I'm 5-foot-11, arms like an ape, and make the scales groan at 160. I am usually in a 40 (US Authentic HH) or 42 (ELC GS).
I also think the arm holes should be higher than most of today's jackets, meaning your A2 shouldn't ride up any time you raise your arms.

Feraud

Bartender
I am looking to get a better quality A2 than I currently have and appreciate any and all replies.

Speaking of armholes, does anyone have an opinion on the current crop of A2 offerings?
Do you like the cut or are indifferent to the armhole placement on your jackets?

Peacoat

Bartender
If you are thinking about contacting Aero, you need to know that whoever you contact first, is the one they will want you to stay with until completing the transaction. Amanda, in Scotland, is very knowledgeable and is most helpful. She is busy with different duties, however, and there is a time difference of about six hours, depending on where in the USA you are located. Mark is also very knowledgeable, but has "only" the duty of a service representative to keep him busy. He answers emails almost as soon as they are sent. You can also talk to him on the phone whenever you need, and samples he sends get to you in a day or so. He has good communication with the factory, and can find out any information he doesn't know. You can't go wrong with either of them, but my recommendation is to contact Mark at aerousa for your jacket needs. Just my two cents.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

Because I am a 51 year old desk jocky and not a 25 year old fighter pilot, I prefer a looser fitting A-2. The currently issued U.S. Air Force A-2s do well for me because they have a fuller cut than do their WWII predecessors. This one was issued in 1998.

Dscn3636.jpg

Atticus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany