Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

pigeon toe

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Not true- Women should all have little bellies.

How IS it going in The Netherlands...
finding time for anything in between beers..?

B
T

Oh trust me, I have a belly! I'd just rather have it be from chocolate and food than beer!

The Netherlands is great. The bad weather I could do without, but I'm having a wonderful time. I'm trying to travel as much as possible, but it's hard trying to do weekend trips throughout Europe. So much to see, so little time!

Visconde

New in Town
rumblefish said:
Boy do I miss Westvleteren's beers. The distributors near by can't get it anymore and buying it online is too expensive. Count yourself as lucky if you have it available.

Hi, if you are interested in buying a case (24 bottles) of westvleteren 12, I can get you some.

with kind regards

Visconde

Visconde

New in Town
I know it is a lot, but I'm just following the market.

1 case is € 100
shipping is € 80

With the current weak dollar, this is a lot of money but some people think it is worth it. Can you tell me how much you use to pay for this in the states, just out of interest?

With kind regards

Visconde

P.S. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by posting this, for some reason I can't PM.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nothing wrong with saying what you can sell it for. You're not a vendor or anything. You can't PM because you don't have enough posts yet. Post more, and your PMs will start working.

At over $11/bottle, that would be too rich for my blood. I'll have to try it when I visit Belgium :)

Visconde

New in Town
I understand, I woudn't buy it either. I think there are so many other beers that are better or just as good for less then half the price.

I have a guy here in Belgium who buys the cases for € 90, so selling it for less with more work (packing and shipping it) would be just stupid.

If you ever plan on coming to Belgium, let me know and I'll give you some info on bars to visit and beers to drink.

With kind regard

Visconde

dr greg

One Too Many
belge bilge

I played a gig recently at a Belgian Beer place, and quite frankly, wasn't impressed, I would back our South Australian beer COOPER'S over any on tap there, and would rate Schofferhoffer or Erdinger way above them, a matter of taste I suppose, but that's what I found lacking in the Belgian stuff.

dnjan

One Too Many
Probably a transportation/storage problem. Storage at room temperature or higher is tough on any beer. Some distributers are much better at protecting their product than others.

Good reason to drink at a brewpub ...

Visconde

New in Town
Patrick Murtha said:
^ Accusing fine Belgian beers of lacking taste is like saying Shakespeare had a poor vocabulary. :)

Reading this rather well put reply, I started developing some craving for a good beer. My first intention was going for a nice 5 months old Rochefort 6 but on my way I found a 12 months old Westvleteren 12 that got lost somewhere in the back.

I am having it now in an old Westvleteren glass (I don't really like the newer ones) and I must say: It is rather impressive. These 12 months of aging have done it nothing but good, the flavours have developed to an almost liquor-like roundness. The sweetness is still very present but not as dominant any more. In addition, there is even a hint of bitterness. The aftertaste stays in your mouth for a very long time, minutes after drinking it, I can still feel it soothing my senses.

The only advice I can give, if you are lucky enough to own this beer: resist the temptation and leave it in a cool dark place for a couple of months, it will be worth the wait.

With kind regards

Visconde

rumblefish

One Too Many
Visconde said:

The only advice I can give, if you are lucky enough to own this beer: resist the temptation and leave it in a cool dark place for a couple of months, it will be worth the wait.

With kind regards

Visconde

Good advice Visconde. And thank you for your offer.

dr g...give Belgians a second chance :cheers1: . May I ask what you've tried and didn't like? Perhaps some one here can recommend...
Belgium doesn't have the restrictions of Reinheitsgebot, and they can be quite creative.
If you enjoy weizen like Erdinger's, I'd say try Hoegaarden.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I had an English Brakspear Oxford Gold which I picked up at the local supermarket last night.

Very nice brew, hoppy, yeasty and with a citrus tang to it. Grab a bottle or a dozen if you see it where you are. Lovely stuff.

rumblefish

One Too Many
On the subject of English brews; Young's Double Chocolate Stout. A little sweet, but easily forgiven for being so rich. From the can with the pressurized widget, for the that hand pulled experience. A perfect glass...that's what the can says.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
On the subject of English brews; Young's Double Chocolate Stout. A little sweet, but easily forgiven for being so rich. From the can with the pressurized widget, for the that hand pulled experience. A perfect glass...that's what the can says.

I love the bottled version of this. The other great chocolate beer I've had was from a most unlikely source, the Miller Brewing Company. A couple of Christmases ago they put out a limited edition Frederich Miller Classic Chocolate Lager that was nothing short of astonishing.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Patrick Murtha said:
The other great chocolate beer I've had was from a most unlikely source, the Miller Brewing Company. A couple of Christmases ago they put out a limited edition Frederich Miller Classic Chocolate Lager that was nothing short of astonishing.
I must have missed this one. Had I heard about it or found it, I'da been all over it.
Ever try Monchshof Schwarzbier? A black lager from Kulmbacher, also a bit on the sweet side but very drinkable. Their 5 liter keg is the only instance where I found, buying one mini keg instead of the equivalent in bottles is cheaper.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
I must have missed this one. Had I heard about it or found it, I'da been all over it.
Ever try Monchshof Schwarzbier? A black lager from Kulmbacher, also a bit on the sweet side but very drinkable. Their 5 liter keg is the only instance where I found, buying one mini keg instead of the equivalent in bottles is cheaper.

No, I haven't seen this one.

I wish Miller would put out that chocolate lager again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou