Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

St.Ignatz said:
Vienna lager?
Exactly! For some reason I could not think of that so I had to leave out the reference. In Germany for (mostly) lagers there is also a link of sub-style and city of origin for some of the names. Pilsner, Munich, Dortmund and even Budweiser and Michelob are named after a city style, Augsberger was a name from a city the was the premium lager for a back east brewer, can't think of who. But city name and style is linked a lot also.

rumblefish

One Too Many
The line up for the last barbecue I hosted...
DSC02965.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
Very impressive line-up, but I would consider most of those to be "savor on their own" beers, to be enjoyed after dinner. What did you actually drink (in quantities, I assume) with the barbecue?

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I am not much of a beer drinker, but here in Belgium I have found a few I really like, my favourites are:

rodenbach.jpg

Rodenbach, 1/3 aged in oak barrels for two years.
I also really like the Grand Cru, but it has such a powerful taste that it is a bit overwhelming :eek: I prefer to drink a little bit, not an entire bottle.

200px-Rochefort-beers.jpg

And Rochefort, I prefer the 6, but it is difficult to find :( (even in Belgium).

rumblefish

One Too Many
dnjan said:
Very impressive line-up, but I would consider most of those to be "savor on their own" beers, to be enjoyed after dinner. What did you actually drink (in quantities, I assume) with the barbecue?

It went like this Don,
Three of us shared each one. The two from Southampton Cuvee des Fuers and Biere de Garde we had with appetizers- home made/grown salsa, squash quiche, chips & dips.
Ommegang's Biere de Mars went with the cheese and quince paste.
Lagunitas' Correction Ale and Stone' Double ba***rd was for the sit-down; beef ribs, pork-kebabs, tabouleh salad, sauteed kohlrabi, and sourdough bread.
The Kriek from Lindemanns for right after the tossed salad.
Maredsous 8 we drank with desert- apple pie, chocolate cake, and cookies.
Last, the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout for a night cap.
:cheers1:

Medvssa said:
I am not much of a beer drinker, but here in Belgium I have found a few I really like, my favourites are:
You should be able to find Westvleteren too. I've had their 8 and 12, don't miss either of these! The 12 consistently scores #1 on beer websites. When I first found it, I was paying $7 for 12 oz. bottles. When it went to $10, no problem still,,, I can't even find it now.:(
Now find some and make me envious...;) :)

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
rumblefish said:
You should be able to find Westvleteren too.
Oh, of course I heard about it, I haven't tried it.
Here you have to go and buy it in the abbey, and it solds out very fast. Maybe they have it in some bars, when they can find it themselves, but I haven't really kept an eye out for it, not saying it is not excellent, what do I know, but I actually wonder if the availability issues have contributed to its popularity :p
I am too lazy, I buy beer in the supermarket :D and sometimes when I go to a café with a big menu I try new ones [huh]

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
kent said:
Warsteiner Dunkel is a Dark lager, typicly found at German restaurants. I suppose I mostly have it with German food but it does a superb job of standing alone.
Has the wonderful "Brewed According to German Purity Law of 1516" feature which keeps the bloody mainstream rice beers of America at bay.
--Kent

I'm a big fan of Warsteiner Pilsner.

This time of year, I switch to Spaten Oktoberfest, when the Mayor of Munich taps the first keg, and proclaims, "O'zapft ist!"

Around the Holidays, when it gets even colder Spaten Optimator, is the choice.

I'd like to try Warsteiner's Oktoberfest, but it's not available here.

Another benefit of the growth of small brewers and the re-introduction of styles that have flavor is the fact that many taverns and restaurants are carrying palatible beer in the bottle or on tap. Out this way there are a numbero of places that may have 8 to 12 beers on tap and out of them a fair number that are specialty beers and a fine choice for consuming with friends.

There are a few that are making the quality and or quantity of beers available as a selling point to come and try new beers.

My old fav is a sandwich shop called the Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel California. Eclectic but fun.

dnjan

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
It went like this Don,
Three of us shared each one. The two from Southampton Cuvee des Fuers and Biere de Garde we had with appetizers- home made/grown salsa, squash quiche, chips & dips.
Ommegang's Biere de Mars went with the cheese and quince paste.
Lagunitas' Correction Ale and Stone' Double ba***rd was for the sit-down; beef ribs, pork-kebabs, tabouleh salad, sauteed kohlrabi, and sourdough bread.
The Kriek from Lindemanns for right after the tossed salad.
Maredsous 8 we drank with desert- apple pie, chocolate cake, and cookies.
Last, the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout for a night cap.
:cheers1:
Sounds like a great evening, though with those beers I hope it was at least a two-hour dining experience (and possibly longer). Sounds like it would have been a great party to crash!

dnjan

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
You should be able to find Westvleteren too. I've had their 8 and 12, don't miss either of these! The 12 consistently scores #1 on beer websites. When I first found it, I was paying $7 for 12 oz. bottles. When it went to $10, no problem still,,, I can't even find it now.:(
Now find some and make me envious...;) :)
My son (the home-brewer, college student) went on a "fact finding mission" to Belgium (and a couple of days in Germany) with a friend this summer. One of his specific goals was to go to Westvleteren, because (he claimed) they don't export. Also, they supposedly only sell from a store at the abby, by the case. I connected him up with a friend who recently moved to Belgium, and I believe they ended up splitting a case among the three of them.

He ended up (after spending two weeks over there) with tasting notes on over 40 different beers, and a pack that weighed over 80 lbs. (before he divided it up into a duffelbag to avoid the airline's overweight fees) with over thirty different bottles of beer. Coming through customs, they told him he would end up owing less than $5 in duty/fees, so they waived him through.

PoohBang

Suspended
today I had the bottle of Double IPA from Hair of the Dog Brewery up in Oregon.
I have to say, it was delightful. Citrus notes and not overly hoppy...

I would buy it again for sure. Highly recommended.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Huber Weisse

Hi Folks,

here is another German - to be more correct Bavarian - beer. Huber Weisses of Hofbrauhaus Freising. Smaler local brewery. Same place, as Weihenstephan, but only supplying to local demand.

A friend of mine (she) is a brewer, there.

I got a box in exchange for a laser-printer. A box of beer is a very common currency, here.

rumblefish

One Too Many
dnjan said:
A great summer beer.
Exactly how I would call it. Great with popcorn.
I like mine well chilled and neat- no syrup. I've tried it that way and I can see how someone opposed to it's astringency may prefer it mit schuss.
I've seen Berliner Weisse bottled with syrup already added. I'm sure I wouldn't go for that.

In one of the old prints of "Michael Jackson's Guide to Beer" (not that MJ) there is a picture of Beliner Kindl Weiss served plain and with syrups and arranged so the glasses resemble a traffic light! :eusa_clap

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Nothing beets the heat like a big glass of the "Amber fluid" but with a high sugar content it is full of beastly Carbs, thats why I love Mash Brewings "Summer Lager" Before you reel in disgust at the thought of a low-carb beer being True beer. Mash’s summer lager is brewed right here in the Swan River Colony, in the German style, making it thirst-quenching, refreshingly light hopped and marked by a crisp finish. Its pale straw colour and light body evoke mild spicy aromas of noble hops. As a summer day refresher, it is tough to beat its ultra low carb! too!" of course there are times when oly a glass of "Sour cherry" beer will do!

summer_sml.jpg

"A couple of Middies down this end love, when your ready"

http://www.mashbrewing.com.au/index.php

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda