Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" The Great British Hat Makers "

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, Richard! Its a size 6 3/4 UK, so its a 6 7/8 USA....unfortunately still too small for my 7 LO head. I bought it from Ebay UK, so its most likely the first time the hat has been across the pond since the 20's/30's.

It's rare to find Christys' on ebay that pre-date the 50's. If the sweat is in good condition it might take a stretch...

Glyn of Old Bond Street. Sold by the famous Berteil of Paris. A very rare dated example. This one from 1939. More here. and for sale here.

glynberteilfedora1.jpg

glynberteilfedora5.jpg

glynberteilfedora9.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A stack of photos I shared here of British hats has sadly and unaccountably disappeared it seems.
So I snapped a quickie with the phone camera of one of them again, but regrettably I can't redo the ones that are gone.
image.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'd agree with BK. The style is one indicator. The other is the Royal Appointment to the Prince Of Wales (the three plumed feathers indicate this). The Duke of Windsor became King and Edward VIII in 1936 (so relinquishing the PoW title given to the heir to the throne). The feathers symbol would not be used post 36 as the title was not bestowed again until Prince Charles.

Greetings, Manfred, Mike, and All,

Thanks, very much, Gentlemen! I've found, in my short time here, that good hats are "infectious", and it's very hard to stop trying to seek them out and buy them! I tend to wear mine often, and get compliments and comments most all the time, which is fun! Here is the second Lock & Co. hat that I found. It's a bit later, I'm guessing, then the black Homburg, and feels completely differently. The felt is VERY soft, and buttery, and there is no liner, at all. Manfred, this hat looks very much like yours, but yours has a lovely liner, whilst mine only has the sticker underneath the inside of the crown. Looks like it was actually offered that way, but hey, maybe at one time, mine had a liner, too. Who knows? This one fits me already, though the crown is a tad short for my liking. Still, it feels good, and after a good brushing, should do just fine in use. So, here goes:

Nice hat, though, again, not as old as the black Lock & Co.. It's going to get it's share of wear, that's for sure. I don't know about dating info for this hat, but I'm assuming it's quite a bit later than the first Lock hat. I also have no idea what "100% Fine Fur Felt" means, but I'm thinking it's not 100% beaver, but rather a blend of fur felts. Sound right? I'd certainly buy more Lock & Co. hats, if any come my way, and fit. They are worth owning and wearing, me thinks! Thanks for checking it out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
this is a sweet candadate for a flip brim

Yes as Paddy says the device of the Prince of Wales is the giveaway. I, for one, would be astonished if that hat comes from the Chuckles of Wales era, and rather pinpoint it to Randy Eddy's reign.

I have a hat, for example, that has "By Appointment to H.M. The King and H.R.H.The Prince of Wales" embossed on the sweatband. So definitely pre-1936, the last time we had such a combination …

That is quite some observation.
I am realy curious about how you can pinpoint those years so exact?

Huertecilla

Banned
Yes as Paddy says the device of the Prince of Wales is the giveaway. I, for one, would be astonished if that hat comes from the Chuckles of Wales era, and rather pinpoint it to Randy Eddy's reign.

I have a hat, for example, that has "By Appointment to H.M. The King and H.R.H.The Prince of Wales" embossed on the sweatband. So definitely pre-1936, the last time we had such a combination …

Thanks!

Note the subtle differences. Paddy's is pre-36. I would say the other he posted is post '36 but not long post. Note that the second hat's Prince of Wales Feathers have the dates 1924 1936 printed under them and Paddy's do not, suggesting that this hatter was By Appointment only to him as Prince of Wales, and not as Ed VIII or afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21