Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Green Machine

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
Would you mind posting a picture of that hat on your head?

Here ya go, Bob...

Right2-1.jpg

WillowWhippet1-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Here ya go, Bob...

Right2-1.jpg

WillowWhippet1-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks, Jimmy. That is really a sweeeeet lid...the nicest whippit I believe I've ever seen. I love the matching wide binding and the darker ribbon color with it. Thanks for posting these pics. It looks super on a hat stand and absolutely super mounted where it's made to be. ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Man, I really have to find one of those green Whippets. Swwwwweeeeeet!

Thanks, GWD -- and, many thanks for the nice comments, Bob. Here's another green Whippet for your perusal:

Right-5.jpg

WillowWhippet2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Gorgeous! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
And the hat looks nice too! :D

But seriously, ladies and germs...:rolleyes: lol

Man, I am lovin' the green lids that have been posted in this thread! Great turnout!

Mr. Green Gene -- you know I think those lids are absolutely killer! :eusa_clap

Carter -- love that Sage color.

Tom -- nice Dark Moss from Art.

Daizawaguy -- that color looks very much like willow. Nice.

Lefty -- nice group of lids. Man, that Stetson Casual is outstanding. :eusa_clap

Feraud -- you've got a green Whippet to contribute, don't you...? ;) Let's see it! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Feraud

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
Feraud -- you've got a green Whippet to contribute, don't you...? ;) Let's see it! :)
Well if you are going to call a fella out.. ;)

Here is one Whippet-
DSC01298.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

and the second Air Light Whippet-
This one looks slightly bluer than the one above..
DSC04533.jpg

DSC04538.jpg

DSC04539.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
Feraud, that Airlight Whippet is fantastic! If the Whippet was introduced in 1940 that must be one of the very first ones. That liner design was used in the throughout 1930's so it must be a crossover into the 40's. Very impressive! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks GWD. I was told by a Lounger it could be a late 30s model due to the liner/sweat.
This hat is one of my favorites. It is lightweight and wears like a dream.

GWD

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Thanks GWD. I was told by a Lounger it could be a late 30s model due to the liner/sweat.
This hat is one of my favorites. It is lightweight and wears like a dream.

I would have guessed late 30's also but according to this thread 1940 looks like the year of introduction for the Whippet.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I would say late '30s as well, and I thought Stetson Air-lights only were around until 1937, which is about when the hat looks like it's from, going by the liner, sweatband, and styling.
But maybe this mode edged, airlite Whippet is kind of like Douglas's triple stitched, wide ribboned '30s Open Road fedora, in that it's the '30s precursor to a popular, long lived model, that is similar to what came later in name only.

GWD

One Too Many
You know what is really cool? I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable dating Stetsons now. This Forum is an amazing source of information! Thanks everyone!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Thanks, GWD -- and, many thanks for the nice comments, Bob. Here's another green Whippet for your perusal:

Right-5.jpg

WillowWhippet2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Man, Jimmy, another sharp one, but I think I like the dark ribbon one better.

Feraud, your whippet is equally gorgeous.

Do you guys find these on the bay or somewhere else? I've found it hard to be patient enough to search through all the hats on the bay to find the ones I might be interested in, but maybe I should try harder.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
I would have guessed late 30's also but according to this thread 1940 looks like the year of introduction for the Whippet.

That thread identifies a 1937 magazine ad for the Stetson Whippet Air-Light model -- so, I think that Feraud's lid may well date to around 1937. The 1940 ad that I cited actually uses the lingo "Introducing the Whippet," but I have seen instances where that kind of language is used, despite the fact that the particular model has already been around for a year or two. And you're right, GWD, if we can date Feraud's lid to around 1937, then I think we can also tie that liner design to the same time period. This sure is fun, ain't it?! ;)

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
You know what is really cool? I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable dating Stetsons now. This Forum is an amazing source of information! Thanks everyone!

Gary, Does your wife know you're dating?

Here's the best shot I can get [with my cell phone camera] of my dark moss 'Forrestor' bt Art. IfI find a [real] camera, I'll post more shots later.

2906529432_9d11f1df34.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here's the last of my green lids, just in from johnnyphi -- a Royal Stetson in a gorgeous shade of green. The felt and the ribbon change color depending on the lighting:

StetsonMoselle.jpg

Moselle1.jpg

Moselle2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran