Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Grizzly"

Edward

Bartender
Well, i'm now the proud owner (barring any seller mishaps) of an original 1930s grizzly jacket. I got a stonking deal on it, because it needs a lot of work. But the work is very doable. Can't wait for it to arrive. Gotta love the internet.

!CEhm-W!!mk~$(KGrHqYOKpEE0VpV8Mw1BNSInvw+H!~~0_3.JPG

Nice score. Sometimes you can luck out on eBay; a poorly worded listing helps. I once bought a 1980s, Japanese bass guitar which is particularly rare in a left handed configuration for about half its market value due to it being listed merely as 'left hand bass'. Look forward to seeing it finished. In my experience leather can be surprisingly resilient with the right treatment, even if it does start off looking pretty rough. Some of the pre-war, leather car seats I've seen my dad bring back from seemingly hopeless to showroom....

Listening to a Jimmie Rodgers CD the other day, came upon, from the late 1920s:

When the North Winds blow and we're gonna have snow
And the rain and the hail comes bouncing
I'll wrap myself in a grizzly bear coat
Away out on the mountain

lyrics: Kelly Harrell

(I suspect he's not talking about this kind of grizzly coat - more the overcoat type - but nice lyrics anyhow.

Yes, indeed, I have the jacket. It's about what I expected. The front belt is a write off, though there's enough left on one side to make a pattern, and the holes are irritating but fixable. The fur is thankfully in really good condition.

I cleaned the leather (wipe down with cold water to get the dust and dirt off) and fur (delicates wash liquid in warm water and rinse with fresh cold water) last weekend, and will be giving the leather a dose of conditioner this week sometime.

It looks quite a bit better after the wash - there was an awful lot of dust and dirt in the fur. Slow process but will be ready for late autumn/winter, when hopefully i'll have a vehicle to ride.

bk

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
So I picked up recently a leather jacket and a naval aviators winter flying helmet from a WW2 Marine Aviator. I couldnt for the life of me figure out what type of jacket it was, but now there is no denying that it is a Grizzly Jacket. This jacket is probably around a size 36/38, it is in good condition, and luckily isnt falling apart. It is made by a company called Nelson. The stitching holding the right arm lining to the body lining has come loose on the right arm, and the zipper will probably need to be replaced (the zipper came loose at the bottom but hasnt effected the leather of the jacket) Also one belt loop the stitching has come loose, and there is a small hole in the leather on the right arm. Also on the belt, the roller buckle has been replaced by some large belt buckle, but that is another easy replacement. I'll post pics here shortly.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
My Grizzly Jacket

Well here are photos of my original Grizzly Jacket. It was made by a company called Nelson, and I dont know if it is a 1930s vintage or a 1940s vintage jacket. I would say it is around a size 36/38. I assure you it is in repairable condition and with the right person has a long life ahead of it.

Here is the front of the jacket.
frontofjacket.jpg

Here is the back of the jacket.
backofthejacket.jpg

Here is the tag
tag.jpg

Here is where the sleeve lining has come loose and needs to be resewn together
sleevelining.jpg

Here is where the zipper has broken from the jacket body
zipper.jpg

This is a picture of the front belt loop that needs to be restitched
beltloop.jpg

This is the small hole on the right arm.
Hole.jpg

This is the snap button closure up near the neck
snapclosure.jpg

I had a picture of where the roller buckle on the belt had been replaced by some large slide buckle but for some reason it wouldnt load.

All in all this jacket I believe is in Good Condition and easily restorable to wearable condition. I am wondering with the photos I have provided how much this jacket is worth? As I am looking at selling it here real soon (once I know its worth) so that I can buy myself a repro B-3 jacket.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Thanks Equality, looking at the damage on his jacket, compared to the damage on mine it seems about equal just different damages, and luckily it appears mine seem easier to repair as well. Good starting reference.

I think I will offer mine up on here before going to ebay, give you guys the chance before it goes on ebay.

normanf

One of the Regulars
San Diego Leathers makes one like that - $595.00. So it isn't Buzz and Ricksons. But it has a classic look to it:

grizzly_leather_fur_jacket_216.jpg

Details from the site for those interested:

The Grizzly Leather Bomber Jacket with Fur (Available in Brown and Black).

This is a 1930's Grizzly leather jacket used by leather fashion enthusiast of that era. Go back in time to when a leather jacket made an big fashion statement. The Grizzly leather jacket is made in brown Deerskin and real Sheep Shearling. The waist has an adjustable half belt as well as the sleeves. The front Zipper is a heavy duty YKK Metal Zipper.

Features:

Made with Soft Deerskin Leather
Body Panels Made with Real Sheep Shearling
Brass or Silver Metal Hardware
Sleeve Cuff Adjusters with Buckles
Waist Half Belt with Buckle
Made by USA San Diego Leather

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member