Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hors D'oevres Thread

Let's see:
->Fried cheese sticks (especially mozzarella)
->Fried ravioli
->Chicken strips
->Li'l Smokies (especially the kind with cheese inside)
->I once made up a marinated cold-cuts and cheese tray that the crowd went nuts over--I had to fight for a piece of my own work!
->Darn near anything that doesn't have seafood in it on the Olive Garden's appetizer menu...:eek:

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I'm a big fan of a yearly treat that a family friend makes every year--she calls it Shepherd's Dip. She makes it with cream cheese, chipped beef...I don't know what else, but it's YUMMY and you serve it in a bread bowl. Sigh.

Also a big fan of cheese and cracker plates.

CHEESE.

rumblefish

One Too Many
sweetfrancaise said:
I'm a big fan of a yearly treat that a family friend makes every year--she calls it Shepherd's Dip. She makes it with cream cheese, chipped beef...I don't know what else, but it's YUMMY and you serve it in a bread bowl. Sigh.

Also a big fan of cheese and cracker plates.

CHEESE.
Sort of shepard's pie-ish?

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Shoot just ate and now I'm hungry again, thanks.

Here's one I make that's a hit at parties

Baked Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms:
minced garlic cloves
butter
spicy pork sausage
bread crumbs
Parmesan cheese
fresh parsley
Salt and pepper

I usually make double and eat half before I get to the party :D

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sweetfrancaise said:

Sounded interesting, so I Googled and found...

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
*yucky* Blech! Never again for me! This was the last thing I ate before realizing I was pregnant. I'll never forget the smell and it's a shame because I USED to really love them! The whole house smelled of mushrooms and I had to leave and buy a box of cheezits, lol!
Nikki
Murph351 said:
Shoot just ate and now I'm hungry again, thanks.

Here's one I make that's a hit at parties

Baked Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms:
minced garlic cloves
butter
spicy pork sausage
bread crumbs
Parmesan cheese
fresh parsley
Salt and pepper

I usually make double and eat half before I get to the party :D

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
sweetfrancaise said:
Ah-ha! There 'tis. Thanks for the recipe--I ask for it every year, and she never hands it over...lol

For some reason, this reminds me of Chicken Ala King my Mom used to make where she cut a hole on top of each roll and stuffed the ingredients in. They were absolutely delicious! Thanks SF :)

Catering_ChickenALaKing.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
My stock hors d'oevres are artichoke dip (artichoke, mozzarella, garlic, parmesan, mayo), spinach dip (on the back of a Knorr's package), salami spread with cream cheese and rolled up, and chopped shrimp mixed with cocktail sauce, poured over a a block of cream cheese, served with cracker, and one I got from my mother, a Gouda wheel, smashed with Miracle Whip and dry mustard, and I think other things but I can't remember. She would save the wax covering of the Gouda and put the dip back in, but I just put it in a bowl.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are a kindred spirit!

jamespowers said:
main_09.jpg

I guess I just got used to seeing them at family functions. A friend makes them with bacon bits in the yolk mixture and they are great. :D

Our crowd always has deviled eggs! I make mine with wasabi mayonnaise, it rocks.

I also adore Beluga caviar (the real deal) and steak Tartare! Give me protein!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
This -
w32231141.jpg

Nothin' like table-side Steak Tartar at Sardi's.

OH MAN!
Raw meat you say! count me in. it's very easy for me to over indulge on steak tartare.
Ever have raw venison? Like carpacio, sliced thin, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with locatelli, barrel salt and black pepper.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
OH MAN!
Raw meat you say! count me in. it's very easy for me to over indulge on steak tartare.
Ever have raw venison? Like carpacio, sliced thin, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with locatelli, barrel salt and black pepper.
There's this little Italian joint in Beverly Hills, on La Cienega, that has the BEST carpacio I've ever had: shaved hyper thin filet, a very light lemon/garlic dressing, small sheets of Pecorino Romano and baby greens. Mmmm, it's good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner