Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hors D'oevres Thread

Josephine

One Too Many
The scallops turned out very well, I may have overdone them but I can't stand an underdone (or maybe even a regular done) scallop. The husband gave it a very emphatic thumbs up. :)

Thank you!

dnjan

One Too Many
Went to the Purple Cafe and Wine Bar (in Seattle) last week, and one of the Hors d'oevres I had was gorgonzola stuffed dates, with pine nuts and saba. That was amazing. Seemed simple enough that I may try it at home sometime.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
roasted jalapenos

The people at William-Sonoma inspired this, well, they created it so we would buy there special jalapeno roaster, but I took the cheap way out, using a bread pan and some skewers...
016-3.jpg

They're just hollowed out fresh jalapenos, stuffed with diced onions sauted in olive oil, and some jack cheese.

After 30-40 minutes on 400degrees, they look like this:

018-2.jpg

The spice mellows a lot during baking, but not so much that it's not there. I kind of wished I had the WS roaster for presentation, as they look much cuter with their hats on top, standing like little soldiers :)

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
Easy Hors D'oevres

This is a favorite, little tasty "stoplight" skewers--

On toothpicks, put snowpeas, cubes of smoked gouda, and sundried tomatoes together, as though you were arranging little traffic lights. The mix of flavors is incredible; trust me.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I think it realy does need to be "one bite sized" you dont want people spilling food on your nice things!! you can not go past "Devils on Horse Back" a stuffed olive wrapped in a strip of bacon, and secured with a toothpick you can even make em with that vegetarian bacon product and they work just as well, mini Volau Vents are perfect as you can do them in trays in the oven , avoid dips they look rather icky after they have been dived into a few times!!!

Please NO Pizza :rage:

E'lizabeth

New in Town
I went to this great Martini Bar in downtown Fort Collins, and this was a great appetizer... I found the recipe and thought I would share:

Baked Brie with Kahlua
¼ cup packed brown sugar ¼ cup Kahlua 1¼ cups chopped roasted pecans 1 (14 oz) miniature wheel Brie

Bring brown sugar and Kahlua to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat and reduce the heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans.
Remove the rind from the cheese using a sharp knife. Arrange in a 9" glass pie plate or similar microwave safe dish. Pour the Kahlua mixture over the cheese. Microwave on high for 1½ - 2 minutes or until the cheese softens. Watch carefully so the cheese will not overheat and melt. Serve with toasted French bread rounds or sliced fruit.

Yummy! ;)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
I think it realy does need to be "one bite sized" you dont want people spilling food on your nice things!! you can not go past "Devils on Horse Back" a stuffed olive wrapped in a strip of bacon, and secured with a toothpick you can even make em with that vegetarian bacon product and they work just as well, mini Volau Vents are perfect as you can do them in trays in the oven , avoid dips they look rather icky after they have been dived into a few times!!!

Please NO Pizza :rage:

I had not noticed this thread until today, and I'm glad a recent posting brought it back into circulation.

Binkie, the Devils on Horse Back sound outstanding! I will definitely plan on them for my next get together...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner