Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Joys of JURY DUTY!

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
I've been summoned for jury duty five times and only served on a jury twice. The last time was Oct. 13th of this year for five days. I don't mind jury duty and the judge will dismiss you if you have served in the last two years.

This happened here several years ago, some of these people were a little upset about serving. lol

Shelby, North Carolina (AP):

Attention Wal-Mart shoppers, please report for jury
duty.

When Cleveland County Civil and Criminal Superior Court
ran out of prospective jurors Monday, Judge Don Bridges
asked the sheriff's office to find replacements.

Given only three hours to round up 55 people, deputies
went to the Wal-Mart Supercenter and started handing
out subpoenas. Some shoppers had as little as 30
minutes to make arrangements to obey the court order.

The court needed last-minute jurors because not enough
people showed up for jury duty and others were
disqualified from service for various reasons.

Some shoppers and the Wal-Mart manager complained, but
authorities said there was little else deputies could
do.

"When not enough jurors are here, we try any possible
way to get them," Chief Deputy Bob Roadcap said. "You
go to the place most people gather."

Bridges admitted the plan wasn't the best, but it was
the only way to get the job done.

"I apologized to the folks this morning," he said. "But
the jurors who came in seemed to have an extremely good
sense of cooperation."

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Another reason to stay away from Wal Mart. ;)

J.S.Udontknowme said:
I've been summoned for jury duty five times and only served on a jury twice. The last time was Oct. 13th of this year for five days. I don't mind jury duty and the judge will dismiss you if you have served in the last two years.

This happened here several years ago, some of these people were a little upset about serving. lol

Shelby, North Carolina (AP):

Attention Wal-Mart shoppers, please report for jury
duty.

When Cleveland County Civil and Criminal Superior Court
ran out of prospective jurors Monday, Judge Don Bridges
asked the sheriff's office to find replacements.

Given only three hours to round up 55 people, deputies
went to the Wal-Mart Supercenter and started handing
out subpoenas. Some shoppers had as little as 30
minutes to make arrangements to obey the court order.

The court needed last-minute jurors because not enough
people showed up for jury duty and others were
disqualified from service for various reasons.

Some shoppers and the Wal-Mart manager complained, but
authorities said there was little else deputies could
do.

"When not enough jurors are here, we try any possible
way to get them," Chief Deputy Bob Roadcap said. "You
go to the place most people gather."

Bridges admitted the plan wasn't the best, but it was
the only way to get the job done.

"I apologized to the folks this morning," he said. "But
the jurors who came in seemed to have an extremely good
sense of cooperation."

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Folks, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. I have spent many hours of my life trying to guess what jurors were thinking. Your posts here have brought me at least a tiny bit closer to knowing. ;)

AF

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:

lol But Walmart isn't the only place this happens. According to my father, in Martinez, CA they were having the same problem, and the judge sent police officers straight out into the old downtown to collect potential jurors.

My last summons was for this last Friday, but I called in and all the jurors for that day were excused, including me. With my family descending on me for Christmas along with all the other things that go with this time of the year, I can't say I'm sorry...;)

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
Fully Informed Jury Association. Read it. Know it. Act it.

-dixon cannon
Amen. I'm working up an article for the school newspaper about jury nullification addressed to those who are or are turning 18 and may be soon getting their first summons.

B. F. Socaspi said:
Amen. I'm working up an article for the school newspaper about jury nullification addressed to those who are or are turning 18 and may be soon getting their first summons.

John Jay the first head of the Supreme Court said it was the right of every jurist to judge both the defendant and the law.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
This brings up an interesting observation. Please let me know if this is any different in other cities, but here in Albuquerque, there are an ungodly number of families including kids in the 24-hour Wal Marts...at times around 11pm or even midnight...at hours when those kids should be asleep.

Why does it seem like some families make it a tradition to drag their kids to WalMart at such a late hour?

Diamondback said:
At least during the hours of 9-5, anyway... if I must suffer the place, I try to hit a 24-hour one in the middle of the night so I don't have to deal with as many WalMartians. (Also get better customer service or at least a less-pronounced degree of "customer nonservice", too...)

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Brother And Sister - Father And Son - The Fleet Enters Hyperspace
via FoxyTunes

just_me

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:

Actually, there are many reasons to stay away from Walmart.

I may be one of the few who actually likes serving on a jury. I think it's interesting. The last time I was called, I was picked and I was the foreperson. After the trial, I was walking to the parking garage and the plaintiff's lawyers were there. They said they knew that I was going to be the foreperson. My first thought was, did they think I've got a big mouth and I'm bossy.
lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I don't know of any other activity that's so excruciatingly boring and yet profoundly fascinating at the same time. You have to develop coping mechanisms for the boring part. But even a relatively trivial case can provide thought a provoking and educational experience. I always come out of jury duty feeling like I've done something really important and wonderful.
It may sound corny, but it really gives my sense of patriotism and pride in my country a great boost.

ScionPI2005 said:
This brings up an interesting observation. Please let me know if this is any different in other cities, but here in Albuquerque, there are an ungodly number of families including kids in the 24-hour Wal Marts...at times around 11pm or even midnight...at hours when those kids should be asleep. Why does it seem like some families make it a tradition to drag their kids to WalMart at such a late hour?
The ideas of what is right for raising children don't exist anymore. They have more of a "If it feels good do it" parenting style, besides when is the best time to teach your kids to shoplift for the holidays.

carter

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
This brings up an interesting observation. Please let me know if this is any different in other cities, but here in Albuquerque, there are an ungodly number of families including kids in the 24-hour Wal Marts...at times around 11pm or even midnight...at hours when those kids should be asleep.

Why does it seem like some families make it a tradition to drag their kids to WalMart at such a late hour?
Federal Witness Protection Program ?

Edward

Bartender
celtic said:
Many people have and are giving their lives so that I have the right and privilege to be able to vote and have a trial by jury.

I don't take it for granted, and if called I will gladly serve.

Can it be a burden? Of course. Is it worth the burden to live in a free country and be allowed these rights? Yes.

:eusa_clap

I feel much the same. I've always wanted to be on a jury, but alas as I am employed as a law lecturer in a university, I am disbarred under UK rules.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I finished my tour of Jury Duty yesterday. We heard an interesting civil case in Superior Court arising from a drunk driving case where two passengers in the car were claiming they were injured. We had to decide: 1) were the plaintiffs injured, 2) if injured, how much they were to be compensated for physical injury, and 3) how much (if any) should the defendant have to pay in punitive damages.

Drunk driver. People injured. It sounds like an open and closed case, right? Well, I'm here to tell you it's not !

After hearing three days of testimony, there appeared to be enough "blame to go around" for all involved. You always hear (and say yourself), "boy, I wish I were on that jury, I'd hang that SOB."

Well, folks, I was on that jury and it's not that simple. There are a multitude of things to be considered; but the major thing is the knowledge that your decision has the potential to impact both the plaintiff and the defendant for the rest of their life.

In the end, we found in favor of the plaintiff and awarded them a significant sum of money (but probabally not near as much as they would have liked to have been awarded). One thing I can say from this experience - the jury system worked as it was designed. We had a couple who wanted to award a lot (and I mean a lot) of money, and a couple who wanted to award only a token amount. In the end, the 12 jurors came together with reason, compassion, and thoughtful insight.

By the end of it all, I felt really good about our decision and our system of justice. It's not always perfect, but it is a very good system.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On a lighter note ...

I didn't dress any different for Jury Duty than I do any other day of the work week. That means a three-piece suit and fedora. Other than the lawyers, I was the only one in the Courtroom wearing a suit (and one of the lawyers had a really cheap suit, too).

Well, when we came back in from the jury room with the verdict, the Judge looks at me and says, "Mr. Brown, have you reached a verdict?" Then he says, "Let me back up a minute, I assume, Mr. Brown, that you are the Jury Foreman, correct." To which I answered, "Yes, your Honor, I am."

After the trial was over, I spoke with the Bailiff and asked him why the Judge had assumed I was the Jury Foreman. The Bailiff said, "You look like you are in charge of everything."

I guess it really does make a difference in how a person dresses ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24