Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Master's Hat

KK

New in Town
The Master's Hat, short talk from Masonic Service Association of North America.

When I learned the lectures, I bought the hat I'd later wear during "my year" as Master of my lodge (the lecturer takes over as Master while delivering the lecture, a mandatory part of degree work, and so must wear a hat).

I called Peters Bros. for a recommendation. I wanted something somewhat formal that would work as well with a plain black suit as a tux, but not as formal as a top hat, blocked LO.

They noted that the bowler's formality had been tarnished by constant use as a prop by rock musicians, and recommended instead a Biltmore homburg with a slight curl to the brim for attitude if I wanted it. I did.

Unfortunately, the curl allowed the sides of the band to become slightly exposed, probably no more than 1/32", and probably noticed only by me. However, it does impart a little welcome Western attitude to the staid hat.

In any case, it's the best-fitting hat I own, and now I wonder why I don't wear it "off duty." I think it'll go great with a leather jacket this fall waiting for the school bus with the kids.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Here in South Carolina, most Lodges have a stupid looking velvet "crown" thing that makes everyone that wears it look an idiot.

I wore whatever fedora I had on that night when I was in the East.

Last night I was pro-tem in the Senior Deacon chair, as I am not an officer in the Lodge right now. I was also the only guy there in a tie or a coat.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Top Hat

RBH said:
Cool.. When I was Master back in '97, I wore a regular fedora.
Most before me wore a cowboy hat of some type and there were a few Bear Bryant types in the mix also.

Our master wears a silk top hat that has been handed down from master to master for Probably close to a century.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
57plymouth said:
Here in South Carolina, most Lodges have a stupid looking velvet "crown" thing that makes everyone that wears it look an idiot.

I wore whatever fedora I had on that night when I was in the East.

Last night I was pro-tem in the Senior Deacon chair, as I am not an officer in the Lodge right now. I was also the only guy there in a tie or a coat.

Sorry I didn't include this in my last post... Everyone in our lodge is required to wear a jacket and tie, and all line officers must wear tuxedos. I'm alright with these rules.

Mav

A-List Customer
57plymouth said:

Gah- I've seen those things. I always wondered what the story was behind them.
The WM in almost every CA Lodge wears a top hat, and it usually varies from inappropriate to ridiculous looking, given that few of them have anything approaching a dress code.
OTOH, our Lodge is Traditional Observance, so dress code is white tie and tails; it looks decent on our WM. We had to get a huge one (7 5/8) when I became JW, because it's traditional out here for the JW to sit in the East for the 1st Degree.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Four year old pic of the interior of our Lodge. One of our members built all the oak furniture from a tree that was destroyed by hurricane Hugo.

lodge_hall-2.jpeg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mav said:
Gah- I've seen those things. I always wondered what the story was behind them.
The WM in almost every CA Lodge wears a top hat, and it usually varies from inappropriate to ridiculous looking, given that few of them have anything approaching a dress code.
OTOH, our Lodge is Traditional Observance, so dress code is white tie and tails; it looks decent on our WM. We had to get a huge one (7 5/8) when I became JW, because it's traditional out here for the JW to sit in the East for the 1st Degree.

Wow, white tie? I suppose you own your own? I couldn't imagine renting each time!

Mav

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
Wow, white tie? I suppose you own your own? I couldn't imagine renting each time!
Yeah- tailcoats are actually pretty cheap if you get them used from a rental place.

Hey Naylor!

Hereward

One of the Regulars
In United Grand Lodge of England the minimum dresscode is dark lounge suit and black tie and many go for dinner jacket. The Master no longer wears a hat alas.

Visiting in the States I was shown the Lodgeroom and asked if I was impressed. Unfortunately, I had no idea what I was supposed to be impressed with; awkward when one is trying not to offend one's host. It turned out that it was the black and white checked carpet that he was referring to. However, in England every Lodge no matter how small has one of those.

We are all part of the same great brotherhood, although differences abound.

Mav

A-List Customer
Hereward said:
Visiting in the States I was shown the Lodgeroom and asked if I was impressed. Unfortunately, I had no idea what I was supposed to be impressed with; awkward when one is trying not to offend one's host. It turned out that it was the black and white checked carpet that he was referring to. However, in England every Lodge no matter how small has one of those.
Yep, American Lodges tend to be lacking those.
Well, it's not like it's an important symbol or anything.:rolleyes:
(Don't get me started...)

Mav

A-List Customer
Adcurium said:
Side note here (or, side question...)
Is your lodge 'dark' for summer? We don't meet in July or August.
Not dark. A little slower than usual, but we still meet.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
My Lodge meets around the Equinoxes and Solstices. However, it is common for London Lodges to meet between say September and April and have a break for summer (never heard it called 'dark' before). Provincial Lodges meet about nine times a year but in London four times is usual. We do have Lodges of Instruction that meet weekly to learn the ritual though.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Some Lodges here that do not have Air Conditioning go dark in the summer.

We meet on the first Tuesday year round at Blythewood. Eau Claire is the first Monday. Being a dual member has advantages and disadvantages.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Hello!

I am currently Junior Warden and am planning ahead for headwear for my year in the East. I think the Homburg would be a little more flattering to me. As Excellent High Priest of my Royal Arch Chapter I have worn a couple of different fedora's and usually get an Indiana Jone's reference.

Our lodge doesn't go dark for the Summer. We meet the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner