Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The miracle of champagne.

FreddieVonRost

New in Town
Is there any other drink that provides such instant pleasure which stays in one's memory for so long?

Perfect as an aperitif before dinner or just as a "pick me up" when one feels miserable.

This also encompasses good quality bubbly from America, South Africa and Australia.

Perfect for every occasion. Blanc de blanc or blanc noir?

What do you think?

As everyone here knows, I'm a bit of a cocktailian (all right quite a bit more than a bit) and though I love my bourbon, my rye, my gin, none compares to Champagne. It's romance in a bottle. Indeed, my one bit of advice for the single men out there: whenever you go to a party, bring Champagne. Because without dubiety, there will be some lass who will ask 'Who brought the Champagne,' and the host will say 'That guy.'

Regards,

Senator Jack

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not very much of a drinker. I can go to a bar and sit and drink soda water with lime and be quite content. For some reason, I never really developed a taste for alcohol. I do, on occasion like a good clean vodka with a twist. I'm not one for fancy mixed drinks. But, Champagne is a completely different story. If I could, I would drink it every day. I love the taste, the texture, the feeling of the way it tingles and dances on my tongue. Whether it be White Star, Bolllinger, Tattinger, Vueve Cliquot, or a vintage Dom, Champagne makes me very happy. I think it is the perfect drink. I have a nice collection of bottles taking up much too much space in my fridge.
I know there are a lot of different, high end bottles to be tried. And I would be happy to try them all. But, I must admit that Vueve Cliquot is my favorite. I know, it's not the most expensive, and can be bought quite reasonably during the holiday season, which is when I stock up on bottles of it, usually a years supply. To me, it is just perfect. Not too sweet, not too dry, very nice flavor. I have had expensive bottles that knocked my socks off, but at the end of the day, give me a chilled glass of Vueve and I'm one happy lady. White Star is also a very good bottle for the price. For someone who tries to drink champagne on a regular basis, both White Star and Vueve are great bottles that won't break the bank.
I also like a good glass of wine every now and again, but to me Champagne is the perfect alcoholic beverage. Serve it with a plate of fresh strawberries, raspberries and black berries on the side, what could be more perfect?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Champagne is the one alcohol I truly miss right now.My husband and I just celebrated our 2nd anniversary,but no champagne toast. :(
Like Daisy my 2 faves would be Veuve Cliquot,and White Star.I also on occasion like to add a bit of Chambord to it and my other personal fave is sunday brunch with mimosas. Yum!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"Champagne's funny stuff. I'm used to whiskey. Whiskey is a slap on the back, and champagne's a heavy mist before my eyes." Jimmy Stewart The Philadelphia Story

My favorite is Bollinger, Grand Anee' specifically. Champagne is a party in a bottle. It elevates a typical night into something memorable. Without champagne, you are two people standing in the dark; with it and you're dancing under the stars.

Hemingway Jones said:
My favorite is Bollinger, Grand Anee' specifically. Champagne is a party in a bottle. It elevates a typical night into something memorable. Without champagne, you are two people standing in the dark; with it and you're dancing under the stars.

Holy Crimony! If it makes that much difference, I am going to have to open some tonight. :p

Regards,

J

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
Here's another wholehearted vote for Veuve.

It seems like 3 or 4 years ago, it was around $40/bottle. Now here (AZ), it's hovering around $50. Suffice it to say, I haven't had it in a while.

Anyone try Coppola's Sofia (named for his daughter)? It comes in little pink cans with little pink straws and is quite yummy.

And yes, whiskey is good, too.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I've never had absinthe.I'm curious about it,though.Doubtful that there is any good absinthe to be had here in the states.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I enjoy champagne but I'm not as crazy about it as some of my lady friends. I usually drink it in a Bellini or a Mimosa.

Daisy Buchanan

rubyredlocks said:
I've never had absinthe.I'm curious about it,though.Doubtful that there is any good absinthe to be had here in the states.
Ruby, you have very good taste. I like to add Chambord to Champagne too, on occasion.
There isn't any good absinthe to be bought here in the states because it's not legal here. I bought mine through a dealer in Switerland, and had to pay a hefty price to have it delivered by couriour and to avoid customs. Absinthe is quite the drink. After one sip of a good brand, the body just warms and tingles. Personally, I like the taste of Champagne much better, and of course, champagne is much more romantic. I have tried a few different kinds of Absinthe. Each had it's own special flavor. Each was quite good. I was a bit nervous trying a drink with such a high alcohol content, for I'm not a big fan of the taste of alcohol. I was pleasantly surprised by how incredibly smooth this high contest drink was. I tried it straight up, but prefer it mixed with water and melted thujon sugar, best served very chilled. The affects of such a drink are quite incredible. Almost hard to describe. It really doesn't take much to alter the mind. It is quite the drink. If you like black licorice, you will like Absinthe. Hmm, all of this talk about it makes me want to pour myself one.
It is definitely something to try. If you have the opportunity to try it, I would. If you really want to try it, it can be ordered on line from another country. I found a lot of good information on line about all the different brands, how they were each made, the different contents such as alcohol, thujon, and wormwood. Quite a few sites had the different brands not only described, but ranked. I saw the purchase as an investment, and wanted to make sure that I was getting a good variety in the bottles that I was buying. I was very glad, after having a night of taste testing, of the ones I picked. I'm sure there are better ones out there. But, I opted for ones that were recommended. Two of the three bottles I bought were award winning, so I took that as a good sign. Anyway, if you have the chance to, try it. It tastes good, and feels better. But still, Champagne is my favorite.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A tip...

Here's a Champagne buying tip: buy it at the holidays! Each year, I stock up when bottles of White Star are $24, down from $28 to $32. And Veuve is down from $40-something to the low $30 dollar range.

All brands compete for that New Year's toast. I usually buy five or six bottles that time of year and I usually drink them before Patriot's Day, well, before Lent, actually before President's Day, OK, would you believe before Martin Luther King's Day? [huh]

Daisy Buchanan

Hemingway Jones said:
Here's a Champagne buying tip: buy it at the holidays! Each year, I stock up when bottles of White Star are $24, down from $28 to $32. And Veuve is down from $40-something to the low $30 dollar range.

All brands compete for that New Year's toast. I usually buy five or six bottles that time of year and I usually drink them before Patriot's Day, well, before Lent, actually before President's Day, OK, would you believe before Martin Luther King's Day? [huh]
More like New Year's Day, you lush!!!:p

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
As everyone here knows, I'm a bit of a cocktailian (all right quite a bit more than a bit) and though I love my bourbon, my rye, my gin, none compares to Champagne. It's romance in a bottle. Indeed, my one bit of advice for the single men out there: whenever you go to a party, bring Champagne. Because without dubiety, there will be some lass who will ask 'Who brought the Champagne,' and the host will say 'That guy.'

Absolutely. As a batchelor, I can only reinforce that advice. It also makes a fine emergency birthday present under almost every circumstance, and I keep two bottles in the fridge at all times - so there's always something for unexpected company to drink while I'm wondering whether or not it's worth putting the kettle on.

My own drinking habits are not unlike those of the divine Mme Bollinger:
"I only drink champagne when I'm happy, and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty."

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Daisy-Thank you so much for the absinthe lesson.Once I'm able to drink again I'll look for this thread to re-reference your advice.Sounds like something fun to try for our first romantic get-a-way once the kiddo's old enough to leave with his Nana for a day or 2.
Of course,we'll keep the champagne chilled just in case.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo