Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The miracle of champagne.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
pennycarrol said:
I love Rosé Champagne, it's my favourite!!!! But my father always told me "Champagne has to be white, you're not a true Champagne lover"

Nonsense! If rose is good enough for Ruinart (or any other champagne maker) to produce, those who drink it are true champagne lovers. Keeping enjoying what you like!

Prosecco lovers are allowed in the club, too - prosecco is merely another type of sparkling wine, but from Italy not France. And for anyone with a palate leaning towards drier champagnes, an Italian prosecco ought not to offend anyone's palate like, say, an asti spumante would.

Brava Miss Neecerie, btw, for opening a bottle just for yourself. Natch, its always nice to share, but I love your 'occasion' - Be Good To Myself Day is a splendid reason for enjoying one of the finest beverages ever made by man. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mojito

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Lindauer Special Reserve Mojito ;)

They actually did a blind taste test a few years ago with Lindauer and some rather posh French champagnes. Lindauer came second to top.

Deutz is another nice Kiwi one, they also did an amazing Blanc de Blanc, seriously good.
Yes! I tried it last year when we were over there, and loved the Lindauer. I've since picked up some bottles on this side of the Ditch.

No sparking for me right now, though. We got stuck into it yesterday and tried Miss 1929's Diamond Fizz...we must have enjoyed it, because we seem to have drunk it by the gallon. I know at one point there was a singalong, and the neighbourhood was treated to an emotional version of "The Leaving of Liverpool". Today we were a bit Diamond Fizzled Out.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mojito said:
Yes! I tried it last year when we were over there, and loved the Lindauer. I've since picked up some bottles on this side of the Ditch.

No sparking for me right now, though. We got stuck into it yesterday and tried Miss 1929's Diamond Fizz...we must have enjoyed it, because we seem to have drunk it by the gallon. I know at one point there was a singalong, and the neighbourhood was treated to an emotional version of "The Leaving of Liverpool". Today we were a bit Diamond Fizzled Out.

Sounds like a cup of tea and a lie down are in order!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I'm a saucer-lover, too. I have a set with a beautifully deco-like swirl etched into them that I liked so much that I had to get matching wine glasses, then whisky tumblers, then highballs, then... it turned into an entire collection of crystalware. Luckily for me it was all on sale at the time!

I'm a fan of the Widow, but recently I've been moving to Pol Roger and a couple of the smaller Chateaux for white, and sparkling burgundy for the pink. There are some really good English fizzes now, too, and learning more about those may well become my project for the year.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]I'm a saucer-lover, too. I have a set with a beautifully deco-like swirl etched into them that I liked so much that I had to get matching wine glasses, then whisky tumblers, then highballs, then... it turned into an entire collection of crystalware. Luckily for me it was all on sale at the time![/QUOTE]

Doc - would you mind posting a picture or two of your champagne saucers with their deco-like swirl? I'd love to see them and I bet I'm not alone.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have never loved champagne, even the good stuff. This thread is making me want to fgve it another try however. I like it as an addition to another drink to give it fizz, but I'd be just as happy with seltzer doing the same thing. [huh]

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
The Dame said:
Doc - would you mind posting a picture or two of your champagne saucers with their deco-like swirl? I'd love to see them and I bet I'm not alone.

I'm not so well-equipped on the camera front, sadly, so this is the best I can manage:

2392836030_2ca537fc50_m.jpg

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Niiiiiice, Doc, very nice! Thanks for the quick turnaround. Love the saucer, love the bottle of bubbly and the vintage model plane - good set up for the pic. :) Ever since I started reading this thread, my fingers have been twitching at the thought of finding some super cool art deco saucers. Man oh man, I love a quest!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Champagne and K5054, quite a heady mix ;)

I've been procrastinating Doc but the article is about to be scanned. Honest!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
In fairness, Tim, K5054 lives on top of that cabinet anyway. All I had to do was grab a bottle of pop to fill out the background a bit.

...Although I do like the "Hoorah - the new aeroplane works!" feel of it.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]I'm not so well-equipped on the camera front, sadly, so this is the best I can manage:

2392836030_2ca537fc50_m.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This is the bottle you should have behind it though.
PR-SWC96-1.jpg

Winston Churchill's favorite. He eventually became very close with the family.

Will

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
The Pol Churchill is very nice, that's for sure, but I didn't have any in the rack. I think what is there would generally be considered acceptable, though.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]The Pol Churchill is very nice, that's for sure, but I didn't have any in the rack. I think what is there would generally be considered acceptable, though.[/QUOTE]

It's ALL good!!!! ;)

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Don Perignon

I was reading how Dom Perignon, of St. Peter's Abbey, Hautvilliers-on-theMarne, developed champagne through experimentation in the late 1600s, and how many of his methods are used today.

I thought that was interesting.

And yes, champagne is rather tasty. About the only time I hate to drink it is when it's trickling down my face from a broken bottle. :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo