Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The miracle of champagne.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Ok, I may be confused here, alcohol volumes are now indicated by % by volume in the UK, eg a common Vodka is usually about 37.5-40% alcohol by volume, I always thought proof was double, ie 40% alcohol is 80% proof?

So 60% alcohol is actually "120% proof". So in the US you still use the "Proof" system?

matei

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 is 100% correct.

I think a lot of the "reactions" nowadays are purely due to the power of suggestion!

I'm quite fond of absinthe, and I've never had a "trip" - and I've had lots of the stuff. Even when drinking the low-end Spanish absinthe I've been fine.

It does pack quite a punch however, alcohol-wise. The worst-off I've ever been was a wicked hangover from a night of overindulging with Serpis... Eccchhh...

Speaking of wormwood... in granny's part of Romania, dried wormwood leaves are often left to soak in with wine to give it a bitter taste...

Okay - back to the thread... Champagne is a special drink indeed. We make sure that we have it at all of our special occasions. We usually have a bottle or two of Zarea (Romanian champagne). I have to admit a liking for the cava that Codorníu offers... I can't remember the name at present.

Thanks to the influence of the 'Lounge, I've also delved into the world of cocktails... Visitors are often subjected to my creations, and so far they've all survived (and even asked for more). Coming home from a hard day in the office and relaxing with a nice drink... great way to wind down.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
take away the whole absinthe mystique (that it turns you into toulouse lautrec after a few glasses) and you're left with a 60% vol alcohol (120% U.S) drink that tastes of aniseed.

Not quite, properly distilled absinthe is quite a complex tasting drink, with a number of herbal notes.
That being said, if one doesn't like the taste of anise, one won't like absinthe.

Kt Templar: So 60% alcohol is actually "120% proof". So in the US you still use the "Proof" system?

Yes we do.

matei:

Absinthe_1900 is 100% correct.

I think a lot of the "reactions" nowadays are purely due to the power of suggestion!

I'm quite fond of absinthe, and I've never had a "trip" - and I've had lots of the stuff. Even when drinking the low-end Spanish absinthe I've been fine.

It does pack quite a punch however, alcohol-wise. The worst-off I've ever been was a wicked hangover from a night of overindulging with Serpis... Eccchhh...

The hangover was from from the beetles used to get that Red color.lol

If you drink Serpis Absenta, you must try a "Slerpis":D
http://www.beautyandruin.com/absinthe/archives/2001/09/the_kid_from_be.html

slerpis_pour.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Just had a call from a friend - she has the bottles of bubbly chilling, the bitters and sugar cubes on standby, and the brandy ready to go...

Champagne Cocktails will be the drink du jour!

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
Just had a call from a friend - she has the bottles of bubbly chilling, the bitters and sugar cubes on standby, and the brandy ready to go...

Champagne Cocktails will be the drink du jour!

Now that's the way to make them correctly. You wouldn't believe how many bars/restaurants make a champagne cocktail with just sugar, bitters, and champagne. :mad:

invention13

New in Town
It is just such a damned happy drink! You can drink it to celebrate, or because you are bummed out and need cheering up. That is what I love about it.
I think what many people need to get over is the idea that you need an occasion or a reason to drink it - "its tuesday" is enough of a reason for me.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Archie Goodwin said:
So,do you drink from a flute or the wider mouth version?(Is there a particular name for this version?)

I believe the other glasses are called saucers. I have both. All of the experts say that it is better to drink champagne out of the flute, something to do with properly releasing the bubbles, but I really enjoy the romantic feel of the saucer.

As far as I know, the "saucer" glasses were originally ment for the ladies. The champagne goes flat in them much faster, and that was the point. The thing is; in the days of La Belle Epoque, when champagne was the most fashionable thing to drink, ladies wore corsets.

I have tried myself the combination of corset and intake of gassy, bubbly liquids, and it has its side effects. To try to put it delicatly: The corset makes sure that there are not much room in your stomack. So there is not much room for the gass. And so, the gass tries to escape upwards.... The result is sounds that are not very ladylike.

That's why ladies were supposed to drink flat champagne from "saucer"glasses.
They even invented the champagne beater, that was used to stir the gas out of the champagne.

And why, you might ask, didn't they just drink ordinary white wine? Because champagne was more fashionable!

I have also heard that "saucer"glasses are for drinking before noon, for example for breakfast,(!) and flutes are for the evening. This is supposed to have something to do with the gas as well, and the effect on the digestive system or something.

I personally like the look and feel of the "saucer"glasses. I just drink chapagne so fast anyway that it really has no chance of getting too flat!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Although the bubbles do dissipate slightly faster I much prefer saucers to flutes.

My dear old Dad always serves champagne in saucers so they have a fond connotation as well.

And flutes always remind me of drunken teenage girls drinking sickeningly sweet Italian Asti out of them.

My favourite? Not very imaginative but Veuve Cliquot is my preferred, nice and dry and slightly yeasty.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saucers!

They do require a little more care in handling, or you slosh on yourself (note to self, sloshing indicates it's time to stop drinking), but they are elegant.

We have a set of six sterling Art Nouveau saucers that were a gift to my husband's great-grandfather from his regiment. We don't use them all the time, just for special. But they do keep it nice and cold!

I encountered another great Champagne cocktail the other day - the "Diamond Fizz"! It seemed to be about half gin and half Champagne with some lemon and sugar. Lethal. I had four of them! Oh my head.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
oh I absolutely love Champagne... My favourite is one of the oldest brand in France it's called Ruinart!! I love Ros?© Champagne, it's my favourite!!!! But my father always told me "Champagne has to be white, you're not a true Champagne lover" oh well lol lol lol!!! (sorry bad english!! But you're used to it now lol??)
:p

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
Although the bubbles do dissipate slightly faster I much prefer saucers to flutes.

My dear old Dad always serves champagne in saucers so they have a fond connotation as well.

And flutes always remind me of drunken teenage girls drinking sickeningly sweet Italian Asti out of them.

My favourite? Not very imaginative but Veuve Cliquot is my preferred, nice and dry and slightly yeasty.

Veuve Cliquot! A personal favourite of mine since I was at university! As a bit of trivia, I understand that it was Pushkin's favourite as well.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
I love the stuff as well. My dream is to pedal my bike through the Champagne region of France during harvest...........ride into the vineyards supplying the grapes for Pol Roger (my and Winston Churchill's favorite!!!).........jump in and help with the picking for a day.........having it declared an incredible vintage......and then buy a few cases when it's released and end my days drinking champagne that I helped (in a very small way) create.

Now, I am a purist when it comes to champagne. It's ONLY champagne IF it comes from the Champagne region. ANYWHERE else in the world, (including other parts of France) it's sparkling wine. PERIOD. For those of you who like champagne, but can't handle the price that often, might I recommend St. Hilaire Blanquette de Limoux Older than champagne....much cheaper. ($15)....and a very nice wine.

Might I also recommend
champagne%20for%20dummies.jpg
History, reviews, serving tips. Wonderful book....great bedtime reading.

Mojito

One Too Many
Miss 1929, I was hardly through to the last word of your post before racing off to google the Diamond Fizz. The next time I have a bottle of bubbly, that'll be the drink. In my beloved etched crystal saucers. I was at an exhibition opening last year (20s/30s fashion and architecture photography) and they served the champagne cocktails in saucer glasses - bliss.

Staredge, I agree with the puritan stance, although I do use the term "Champagne" colloquially in certain circumstances. For example, the local Chandon does make a nice "Champagne" cocktail.

Another vote here for The Widow! Although Bolly will be faaaaabulous as well, sweetie darling sweetie.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't wait to meet you!

Mojito said:
Miss 1929, I was hardly through to the last word of your post before racing off to google the Diamond Fizz. The next time I have a bottle of bubbly, that'll be the drink. In my beloved etched crystal saucers. I was at an exhibition opening last year (20s/30s fashion and architecture photography) and they served the champagne cocktails in saucer glasses - bliss.

I just adore every one of your posts! We are so much alike.
Someday, i will make it to Napier...

Mojito

One Too Many
I didn't need to get past your username to know that I'd be one of your admirers, Miss 1929! I've already booked Napier for next year, so if you ever want us to add one more to the Bachelorette (to all intents and purposes - two of them are married) pad, let me know. There's some New Zealand sparkling that isn't half bad in a cocktail.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Ah...Champagne! I spent most of my life to date believing this bubbly wine was just another manner in which to beat the nickels 'n dimes outta one's pockets; luckily I came to learn that...hmmmm... 't is a divine drink and real wine!
We're lucky enough over here to be about a three hours drive away from the region, that inimitable terroir, wherein this elixir of the...happy...is produced. The land of great (gothic) cathedrals, where grand "maisons" (no, not those...:p ) produce wines exported throughout the world, but where there are hundreds producing grand and premier crû Chardonnay, Petit Meunier and Pinot Noir, selling at around €13.00 a bottle (that's twenty bucks). Mmmm...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mojito said:
There's some New Zealand sparkling that isn't half bad in a cocktail.

Lindauer Special Reserve Mojito ;)

They actually did a blind taste test a few years ago with Lindauer and some rather posh French champagnes. Lindauer came second to top.

Deutz is another nice Kiwi one, they also did an amazing Blanc de Blanc, seriously good.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
invention13 said:
It is just such a damned happy drink! You can drink it to celebrate, or because you are bummed out and need cheering up. That is what I love about it.
I think what many people need to get over is the idea that you need an occasion or a reason to drink it - "its tuesday" is enough of a reason for me.

Hear, hear! Champagne is for any occasion, even if the occasion is brunch or Tuesday or just because.

I just wish there was a greater variety of sweetnesses available. The vast majority of champagnes and sparkling wines available in my neck of the woods are bruts and I have to admit I have a sweeter palate, but extra dry is very limited, demi sec non-existent. Mostly I'm limited to overly sweet spumantes. I'd like to find a champagne or sparkling wine with a very fruity bouquet, a nice mixture of flavors (fruits and spices), with a clean and crisp finish - but also a tetch sweet. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo