Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The miracle of champagne.

Mojito

One Too Many
I do love champagne...! And yes, "The Widow" is a wonderful choice. Bollinger also get's the thumbs up, and for a good mid-price choice, Chandon's Australian estate produces a good local sparkling choice.

And cocktails are magic. I like my collection of spirits and liquers, vintage barware and range of recipe books. I even have an electronic recipe guide, shaped like a hip flask, that scrolls through thousands of cocktail recipes instantly (Barmaster 2000 or something equally naff).

My favourite source for inspiration, however, is the 1930 Savoy Cocktail - a 1960s edition. It has the classics (minus some of the forgettable, overly sweet 70s and 80s rubbish), and many that have long since given way to the Tequila Sunrises and Fluffy Ducks of recent years. It has a whole slew of Absinthe cocktails from the good old days - these days, if a book mentions a Brunelle it will use something other than Absinthe as the base.

Posted by Mojito:
My favourite source for inspiration, however, is the 1930 Savoy Cocktail -

I still have to get a copy of this and The Stork Club book. The original Stork Club book routinely sold for $100 on Ebay, but I believe it was re-issued about two years ago. Thanks for reminding me to add them to my collection.

Though a lot of cocktailians don't agree with his proportions, I personally like David Embury's 'The Fine of of Mixing Drinks'. I found this book at a flea market about fifteen years ago and it's what got me seriously started on cocktails. Before my discovery, I just haphazardly mixed according to old Mr. Boston. Now of course I go through this whole creative process. Right now someone has 'Fine Art' on Ebay for $275.00(!?!) and it's not even a first edition, but I've seen it go for as little as $5.00.

Also, anyone interested in the serious cocktail should visit. http://www.drinkboy.com/index.html

Regards,
Senator Jack

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Absinthe warning

I have this "friend" who has tried absinthe, and this same "friend" might have tried mushroom tea in Amsterdam. This "friend" had quite a negative reaction to both. It seems that some people do not react well to certain psychoactive properties in these beverages. Just a word of warning, that if you are one of those people who reacts negatively to hallucinegens, you mght find yourself having the same reaction when drinking the green fairy.

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Oh, wait

This thread was about champagne too :p

Love the stuff. All different types for different occasions, and it always turns a gathering into a party. We usually keep a couple of botles cooled down in case of emergency.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thanks for the warning Archie!I may have to be careful then.

So,do you drink from a flute or the wider mouth version?(Is there a particular name for this version?)
Ever since the hubby and I saw Bogey and Bergman drinking out of the wider mouth in Casablanca we switched.
Which has started a major glassware collection for me. I already need a bigger bar to store our collection in.
Here's our little one that showcases about half of our collection:

47b4d832b3127cce9a3b439ebc7300000016109AbOXLFk0bS

We do love our cocktails and the proper glass in which to serve them,but I definitely got carried away with my champagne glasses.I think I have 2 dozen.

TM

A-List Customer
My favorite champagne is Krug. Krug is rather unique in that the fermentation takes place in oak barrels. Whereas most champagnes are fermented in stainless steel. This causes some difference in taste. Additionally, Krug does not induce Malolactic Fermentation. Malolactic is a secondary fermentation that reduces acidity and can add a buttery taste. In a sense Malolactic accelerates the aging of a wine, making it drinkable sooner. With Krug the single fermentation goes on for years, producing a more complex taste and a longer lasting wine.

On the other hand, Clinquot is a good choice. I have fond memories of a wild party at the Looff Hippodrome on the Santa Monica Pier. This was on one of the last nights that Halley’s Comet could be viewed. Party was sponsored by Clinquot and the champagne flowed like water. Unfortunately, it was too foggy to see the comet. But no one seemed to mind.

Tony

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Yes, champagne is a magical elixir! I've tried and enjoyed Bollinger and Veuve Clicquot, but none compares to Krug's. The bubbles are very tiny and do not have an aggressive texture at all. Very smooth, distinctive and complex taste. They haven't christened it the King of Champagnes for nothing!

And as for absinthe, Marc is right: the highest quality is of Swiss or French origin. Avoid pastis like Absente brand - which has no wormwood or thujone content - or the Czech stuff made by Hills - which does have wormwood, but makes no difference one way or the other because it has about as much sophistication, quality and connection to its La Belle Epoque antecedents as a Drano cocktail.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Archie Goodwin said:
I have this "friend" who has tried absinthe, and this same "friend" might have tried mushroom tea in Amsterdam. This "friend" had quite a negative reaction to both. It seems that some people do not react well to certain psychoactive properties in these beverages. Just a word of warning, that if you are one of those people who reacts negatively to hallucinegens, you mght find yourself having the same reaction when drinking the green fairy.

There are no hallucinogens in Absinthe

The main psychoactive component is the alcohol.
The thujone myth has been been explored and found to be a non-issue. (There is more Thujone from the sage, in a box of Stove Top Stuffing than in a bottle of absinthe, yet people aren't tripping on Stove Top Stuffing.)

Actual scientific studies can be found here: http://www.thujone.info/index.html

Again, there are no hallucinogenic compounds in Absinthe.

I've collected absinthe antiques for almost 10 years, and have had numerous brands of absinthe, from 100 year old Pernod, to modern brands, as well as artisanal made varieties that the majority of the public will never find, and none of them will make you trip, or see green fairies.

(And yes I'm very familiar with how both vintage, and modern absinthe is made, perhaps more so than than most people.)

The one thing I can not stress too highly is, Never drink or buy Czech "Absinth". Virtually all of them are undrinkable swill, made from extracted essences, and poorly made industrial quality alcohol.

It's just a pleasant drink, with rather fascinating history.

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
So,do you drink from a flute or the wider mouth version?(Is there a particular name for this version?)

I believe the other glasses are called saucers. I have both. All of the experts say that it is better to drink champagne out of the flute, something to do with properly releasing the bubbles, but I really enjoy the romantic feel of the saucer. You've all probably already heard the old legend, but 'l put it down here anyway. Supposedly the size of the champagne saucers was based on Marie Antoinette's breast cup size. Take the legend for what you will, but I read recently that her breasts were used as models for bowls used at the royal court.

dr greg

One Too Many
absent absinthe

The absinthe legends are mainly due to the 19th century decadents and artists and I would suppose that if one was a tubercular malnourished degenerate in a permanent state of drunkenness, visions might well appear, as Robert Mitchum is supposed to have said about Tequila "after the 3rd day you stop vomiting and then it really takes off", Similar stupid legends abound about Mezcal, usually spread by people with long hair that looks silly on someone their age: the worms in the bottle are there as a guarantee of purity: (if they decay the stuff has been diluted) and they have not and never will have absorbed the psychedelic essence of peyote cactii that they never go anywhere near. The fact remains that you'll have hallucinations if you drink enough of anything for long enough, as numerous pink elephant jokes from the days of bathtub gin will attest.
Wormwood is used as breakfast tea in North Africa and does give you a bit of a lift..tastes unbelievably foul though, and the hit may well be just the huge amount of sugar required to make the stuff palatable.
Absinthe was originally banned because of a supposed deleterious effect on recruitment for the trenches in WW1, and quite frankly I'd have hit the bottle if I was facing a stint in them, can you blame the poor buggers?

Girl Friday

Practically Family
With Chambord, a Kir Royale even inexpensive champange is quite tasty.

The is an really good rose champagne, hmmm...what was that brand, it might have been Laurent Perrier Rose Champagne...I'd have to see the bottle, other than that you gotta go with Veuve Clicquot. Mostly, I like vodka drinks but for special occassions...

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
dr greg said:
The absinthe legends are mainly due to the 19th century decadents and artists and I would suppose that if one was a tubercular malnourished degenerate in a permanent state of drunkenness, visions might well appear

This is true, what was described as absinthism, would be more accurately described as alcoholism.

The fact remains that you'll have hallucinations if you drink enough of anything for long enough, as numerous pink elephant jokes from the days of bathtub gin will attest.

Again this is correct, as above.

Wormwood is used as breakfast tea in North Africa and does give you a bit of a lift..tastes unbelievably foul though, and the hit may well be just the huge amount of sugar required to make the stuff palatable.
Absinthe was originally banned because of a supposed deleterious effect on recruitment for the trenches in WW1, and quite frankly I'd have hit the bottle if I was facing a stint in them, can you blame the poor buggers?

Properly distilled absinthe is not really bitter, the distillation process removes the bitter absinthins, and other undesirable elements from wormwood.

The sugar ritual came fairly late to absinthe imbibing, (Latter 19th century) and it's thought that it was aimed at increasing purchases by Women, plus the 19th century French had a taste for sweetened cordials & liqueurs.
Sugar was always optional. (I seldom use it)

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
dr greg said:
Funnily enough someone just gave me a bottle of ABSENTE from Distilleries et Domaines de Provence, what is your opinion on this brand, m'sieur?

Well, if you happen to have rust on your porch railing or need some handy paint remover it's good for taking care of those details. But for drinking? I wouldn't recommend it. It's like pouring coffin varnish down your neck and then paying a premium for the privilage.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Absente is sink-worthy if you have have a clogged drain.

It's a mixed assemblage of extracts that makes for a poor representation of absinthe, (The U.S. version is an absinthe substitute) and is overpriced for what it is.

It's mainly an overwhelming concoction of star anise oil.:eek:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Absinthe_1900 said:
The main psychoactive component is the alcohol.
The thujone myth has been been explored and found to be a non-issue. (There is more Thujone from the sage, in a box of Stove Top Stuffing than in a bottle of absinthe, yet people aren't tripping on Stove Top Stuffing.)

I knew I liked stuffing for a reason. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo