Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the Monroe bum-wiggle

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hello ladies,

From a book I own called "Bra: A Thousand Years of Style, Support and Seduction" by Stephanie Pederson, a very good and comprehensive look at the history of the bra:

"Like Mae West before her, Marilyn Monroe famously wore specially created corsets that pushed her breasts up and out. It wasn't simply the fact that she deliberately wore one heel slightly sorter than the other that gave her that much-imitated bum-wiggle, it was also that her underwear was slightly restrictive in order to keep her shoulders well back and her breasts forwards, and to make her work just that little bit harder when she walked."

1. I'm confused by the suggestion that she wore specially created corsets. Wasn't she notorious and oft-criticized for not wearing foundation garments?

2. And this is the main reason for this post - does anyone know anything about her wearing one heel slightly shorter? How much shorter would this have to be? And how would one go about getting one heel slightly shorter than the other? Because, you know, I have a great derri?®re and would love to try this :)

Elaina

One Too Many
I heard that too, from my dad when I was around 4, and proceeded to learn to walk like Monroe (I actually got adept at it.) I've read it was 1/4-1/2" but I don't know if it was actually true or not, as I've found from a sister in law enamoured by her, a lot of it was pure bunk.

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Does it count if you walk round with that one-shoe-on-one-shoe-off-where-is-the-other-one?!!! scene? I do that a lot.

I can't work out any way to shorten one shoe without them being made like that, not that I know a lot about shoe anatomy, but there's that metal spike that would cause issues.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually I find that if I wear any pair of shoes long enough, I automatically end up with one heel slightly shorter than the other -- the right side always wears down faster than the left. However, the "bum wiggle" has done me no good at all -- I guess you actually have to *have* a bum for it to work!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
KittyT said:
"Like Mae West before her, Marilyn Monroe famously wore specially created corsets that pushed her breasts up and out. It wasn't simply the fact that she deliberately wore one heel slightly sorter than the other that gave her that much-imitated bum-wiggle, it was also that her underwear was slightly restrictive in order to keep her shoulders well back and her breasts forwards, and to make her work just that little bit harder when she walked."

And this one I have never heard before ???

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hm. I have heard that. Seems like an urban legend. However, one of my legs is shorter than the other and my late boyfriend who was from Manchester called me the nickname 'Lovely Bum' so maybe there is something to the wiggle theory. ;) Now, who has a pair of her shoes from a movie? I'm sure there's an article posted online somewhere about a Marilyn collector; maybe it's mentioned there.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Jean Harlow was known for eschewing foundation garments, and although this was considered quite sexy/scandalous at the time, she apparently just didn’t like wearing them as she found them uncomfortable and didn't like the lines they created underneath her clothing.

As for the wiggle, no special shoes are required. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Hello ladies,

2. And this is the main reason for this post - does anyone know anything about her wearing one heel slightly shorter? How much shorter would this have to be? And how would one go about getting one heel slightly shorter than the other? Because, you know, I have a great derri?®re and would love to try this :)

A lot of ladies nowadays tend to clomp, and young women especially seem to slump instead of standing up straight. Standing up straight makes you look taller and leaner and more confident. It's also better to walk gracefully, letting your muscles (not your joints) act as shock absorbers. You know you're clomping if others can feel you coming on a hard floor.

As for one heel shorter than the other, I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like a good way to wreck your back.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
As for one heel shorter than the other, I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like a good way to wreck your back.

not that wearing heels is already that great for your back. besides, i play roller derby - i'll probably have an artificial knee before i get around to doing myself any damage by walking in heels! :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
:eek:
Do you do exercises to strengthen the muscles around your knees (if you don't mind my asking)? Bad knees are no picnic. :(

:eek:fftopic: yes, we do a lot of strength/circuit training and a lot of drills to practice falling safely to help prevent injury. that said, sh*t happens, and we accept the fact that we may sustain injuries, just like athletes of any other sport. the most common knee injuries are bursitis, torn meniscus, and torn ACL or other ligament injuries. actually, female athletes are more likely to sustain knee ligament injuries than men, no matter what sport they play.

MMII

New in Town
I have heard about her heels being different. I don't know if it's true. I don't think the corset one is true either. Marilyn was notorious for not wearing a whole lot of undergarments. She was like Jean Harlow in the case of not wearing underwear....but this is just what I hear.

Geesie

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
I think the one heel shorter than the other was just hollywood publicity to create another story/myth about Monroe. I've seen many pairs of her shoes in person and they appear to unaltered to me.

I'm going to guess that the heel thing is a myth.
Some women walk like that. Some don't. I don't know if it's natural or learned. My wife's got it (first thing I ever noticed about her :D ). I asked her how she learned to do it and she swore she didn't know she was doing anything special, just how she walks.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Geesie said:
I'm going to guess that the heel thing is a myth.
Some women walk like that. Some don't. I don't know if it's natural or learned. My wife's got it (first thing I ever noticed about her :D ). I asked her how she learned to do it and she swore she didn't know she was doing anything special, just how she walks.

"What is an hourglass walk?:

A recent study at Cambridge looked at how an hourglass figure moves, the academics found that it is the ratio between hips and waist that puts the sway into a woman's walk - and the nearer that ratio is to 0.7, the better.

This ratio provides the body with the right torso strength to produce a more angular swing and bounce to the hips during the walking motion.

Therefore, a woman with a 25in waist and 36in hips would have just the right proportions to carry off a sexy swagger as she walks. "

Laura Chase

One Too Many
The hip wiggle (it's not as much in the bum as it is in the hips) is definitely a thing you can learn to do, I was just vacationing in southern Europe and almost every woman down there sways her hips. lol I was brought up amongst such women and taught the wiggle by observing. In Denmark, there isn't as much wiggle.

Maybe if your hips are very wide, it might come naturally, but a small hipped girl can easily learn it. ;)

crwritt

One Too Many
Hmm. One short leg would make a person limp. Try it with two different heel height shoes. it would not create a sexy walk.
There is no mystery to hip motiion, As you step forward, bend the front knee, and put your weight on your bent leg, keeping the other leg straight. This will naturally move the opposite hip upward. As you advance your other leg to take a step, straighten the bent leg as you bend the straight one.
So the hip motion comes from bending and straightening of the knees.
I your glutes are nice and relaxed, there will be more motion there as well.
You may know this if you have ever taken a latin dance class.
I recently read this article and found it interesting, since we are discussing the wiggle and all that it might imply
http://www.thirdage.com/today/sexual-health/controversial-new-study-on-orgasm-the-way-women-walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari