Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

IMG_3422.jpg

I'd still like to try one but I don't get dressed up enough to ever justify owning one.

IMG_3307.jpg
Who says you'd need to justify?

Not really. So little info available other than the I's were stolen in 1953 while touring in FL and the II's were stolen in 1970. Inside job? What could you do with them, other than remove the gold and jewels.
I agree there is so little information. I was always just curious because they never turned up thru the yrs, which leads me to believe they were probably destroyed. Does that mean they were stolen just for the jewels? Could be, but I've always wanted to know more about the family dynamics at that time & Enid's ex's. The fact that the boots were most likely destroyed leads me to look more to the family, trusted employees, etc.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
facts-about-billy-the-kid-jpg.92769

Jake,
Colorized illustration? The real pic is owned by one of the Koch brothers. The only other pic to be authenticated as William H. Bonney was bought anonymously, likely by Koch also.

Cropped from full pic below, William H. Bonney is on the left:
View attachment 92790

View attachment 92792

The photo is probably colorization, but not by me.
I posted this photo below (National Geographic) in Fedora forum back in Oct. 2015:
15p60wg.jpg

It was in regards to a story about Randy Guijarro who bought the photo at a California memorabilia
shop for $2 and the search to gather evidence to authenticate it as Billy the Kid.
Some members on the forum appreciated the story for what it was,
while others wanted to tar & feather me because it was a fake.

Some folks get really fanatic about things.:D
This is the location today.
28mfifp.jpg

2cftgfl.jpg

Last edited:
I agree there is so little information. I was always just curious because they never turned up thru the yrs, which leads me to believe they were probably destroyed. Does that mean they were stolen just for the jewels? Could be, but I've always wanted to know more about the family dynamics at that time & Enid's ex's. The fact that the boots were most likely destroyed leads me to look more to the family, trusted employees, etc.

Jack, I should have expounded. My feelings are similar to yours. Knowing a little about the history of them at that time, and so little info out there leads me to think of inside work, especially family. If I were going full blown cop mode, that's exactly where I would start. I mean, there's not even any info about how the boots were being toured and who was responsible during each case. Not to mention details about how the thefts occurred.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Jack, I should have expounded. My feelings are similar to yours. Knowing a little about the history of them at that time, and so little info out there leads me to think of inside work, especially family. If were going full blown cop mode, that's exactly where I would start. I mean, there's not even any info about how the boots were being toured and who was responsible during each case. Not to mention details about how the thefts occurred.

Greg....check with the Carrollton Police Dept. file records.
They might point the way.
Stolen Boots Worth $1 Million Recovered, Suspects Arrested - CBS DFW

Princeton snowball fight ~ 1893
View attachment 92872

According to New York Times, it was an event between the freshman & sophomore class.
Not sure which side or probably both got the bright idea of insuring the intended target successful by adding rocks to the
snowballs.
By the looks on these faces, they succeeded! :D
I'm glad someone eventually invented something more civilized, like the PANTY RAID.

I'm glad someone eventually invented something more civilized, like the PANTY RAID.

Isn't there some place in Italy that has a massive town-wide tomato fight every year?

IwoJima1954.jpg

U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower, second from left, talks with Deputy Secretary of Defense Robert Anderson during dedication ceremonies of the Marine Corps War Memorial, background, in Washington, D.C., Nov. 10, 1954. From left are, Anderson, President Eisenhower, Vice President Richard Nixon and Gen. Lemuel G. Shepherd Jr., commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps. The statue, based on the Marines raising the American flag on Iwo Jima during World War II, is dedicated to all Marines who have given their lives in the defense of the United States. (AP Photo)

Jake,

On the William H. Bonney pic above you probably know that Bonney's good friend Tom O'Folliard is the one pointing at Bonney. Bonney, O'Folliard & the groom, Charlie Bowdre are all 3 buried side by side today although it is unknown which grave is which, or even if they are actually there. Facial recognition software has supposedly identified everyone in the pic except for two of the women.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925