Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
IMO...this is the most beautiful flag in the world & what it stands for!
Iwo Jima_Fotor.jpg

My father was over there during WW2. I think of him when I see this iconic image.

Last edited:
Princeton snowball fight ~ 1893
View attachment 92872

According to New York Times, it was an event between the freshman & sophomore class.
Not sure which side or probably both got the bright idea of insuring the intended target
successful by adding rocks to the snowballs.
By the looks on these faces, they succeeded! :D
Jeez, them Princeton boys took their snowball fights seriously. :eek:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Isn't there some place in Italy that has a massive town-wide tomato fight every year?

View attachment 92901

U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower, second from left, talks with Deputy Secretary of Defense Robert Anderson during dedication ceremonies of the Marine Corps War Memorial, background, in Washington, D.C., Nov. 10, 1954. From left are, Anderson, President Eisenhower, Vice President Richard Nixon . . . (AP Photo)
Gotta say, Nixon's hat looks sharp.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMO...this is the most beautiful flag in the world & what it stands for!
View attachment 92927
My father was there WW2. I think of him when I see this iconic image.
I agree 2jakes, my father was on Omaha beach on D-day, and battle of the Bulge. He was an Oklahoma farm boy, who saved many lives as part of the 97 evac hospital. My eyes well up thinking of the sacrifices they made, and the lasting impact on their lives. I LOVE what this flag stands for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I agree 2jakes, my father was on Omaha beach on D-day, and battle of the Bulge. He was an Oklahoma farm boy, who saved many lives as part of the 97 evac hospital. My eyes well up thinking of the sacrifices they made, and the lasting impact on their lives. I LOVE what this flag stands for.

Ironically, I was over there during the Vietnam Conflict.
Totally different thing, nevertheless, I have the deepest respect for all the men & women
who have served their country.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ironically, I was over there during the Vietnam Conflict.
Totally different thing, nevertheless, I have the deepest respect for all the men & women
who have served their country.
My deepest respect for your service in Vietnam. Regardless of political view, those who made such sacrifice deserve respect.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Teddy Roosevelt

View attachment 93014

View attachment 93015

View attachment 93016

Roosevelt told a story of shooting at an unidentified Bigfoot type creature in fear of his life, on one of his hunting trips.

View attachment 93017

I was ten.
I recall a film clip of Teddy wearing only shorts, looked like jock-straps, going outside and bathing with cold water in the early morning.
I thought to myself... “hmm, now I know why this dude has that grin on his kisser!”.

I love history and was always amused at the fast pace when they walked in those silent film documentaries.

A plethora of Chaplins!

“Grandma... did you walk like that too
when you were a young girl in those times?” :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner