Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

decodoll

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
Disciplined on ebay? I'm sorry, that's just not computing. :D

I lost this one awhile back, but it still irks me. I desperately wanted this pattern, and bid an outrageous price on it and was outbid by a dollar or two. :rage: I sent the winner a very nice message, asking if there was any way I could pay her to copy it, even a bad copy I'd take. But *ahem* she never answered me.

So. Yes. :rage:

Oh yes...I've seen and lusted after that pattern before!

Vanessa

One Too Many
You've seen that pattern before? Where? If you have it, I can promise you a first-born child.

decodoll

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
You've seen that pattern before? Where? If you have it, I can promise you a first-born child.

hahaha..no...I wish! I saw it come up on ebay a couple of years ago. It went for an astronomic amount of money then too! I do have a similar pattern if you're interested in a copy. (however, it may be awhile before I get to copying it)

butterick6627.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
OOH! And I'll copy vanessa's copy :) We need a powder room pattern exchange.

Here's my one that got away :(
ec_1.JPG

e0_1.JPG

Listed as 30's, I have an inkling suspicion it is really late teens/early 20's.
coatshalfx30.jpg

Picture from fashioneras.com
xxviii.jpg

astrakan.jpg

Original prints available here.

maisie

Practically Family
Listed as 30's, I have an inkling suspicion it is really late teens/early 20's.

I saw that suit whilst it was listed and was thinking of bidding, but I've already got stuff from the 30's, 40's and 50's so didn't want to start on another decade!!;)
Another thing that made me think it was more 1920's was the length of the skirt! I know the skirt in the 30's were long but I measured the length of this skirt against me and it would have been only a few inches from the floor on me, and I'm 5"10'!!!!

That booklet of hair is great by the way what a shame you didn't get it! I've noticed that anything about 1940s hair seems to go sky high these days! Even the book that came out a couple of years ago (that is now out of print) goes for about ?Ǭ£50+ (about $90+!!!!!)

decodoll

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
At 133 $ I ended bidding on that one...

24_1.JPG

75_1.JPG

I?Ǭ¥m still mourning but it was just getting too much for my wallet.... :cry:

I have that book. The modern 1940s Hairstyles book by Turudich takes most of the information and diagrams from it but leaves a bunch of the text out. Watch www.abe.com. They don't have any copies up right now, but usually you can find a few on there. I got mine from a seller on ABE about a year ago for $30. At the exact same time it was going for $100 on ebay!

decodoll

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
Yes, I'd love to get a copy. Send me a PM about it and we can work it out. You're a peach!

Sorry about the delay. I'll send you a pm when I get a chance to copy it. Has been a very strange New Year so far.... spent most of my time and broke the bank at the vet's this week. Never let your cat eat walnuts..... :confused:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
This has got to be one of the best threads so far on the Powder room, I feel like I have just entered the Ebayers-Anonymous therapy room. I am such an addict to Ebay too. Like Maisey I am in the UK, last night I sat up untill after 2am to win a bra from an American seller!!
I have missed some very special items that I no longer have pics of as I tend to delete them from my auction summary page (the emotional pain being too acute). I have actually thrown a major tantrum once too and couldn't be persuaded to come out of it all evening when I missed a 40's dress I was watching last Autumn.
I hereby solemnly do swear to provide photographic evidence of missed auction items from now on (especially the ones that have me throwing my powder puff across the room in a Diva-fit!)
Lauren that pink coat is soooo beautiful, I don't thinik I would have survived missing that one. My admiration goes out to your strength and resilience.:p :p :p

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Augh... this thread is painful! It's tragic enough when the patterns get away from me on ebay, and now I see all the patterns that got away from everyone else!

But it's a good kind of suffering... like watching sad movies. ^_^

BV

magneto

Practically Family
Gosh, such tragedy in one place...can't bear it...(sniff).

To lessen the chances of "one that get away", some advice I was given, and darned if it doesn't seem to work, is to *search for newly listed, improperly priced 'Buy it Now' items* and grab them! Especially in the realm of vintage items where often sellers have no idea what they have, want to get rid of it and just throw it up w/a B.I.N.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
feeling the pain

I recently lost 2 pairs of brown shoes due to being outbid, and falling asleep. I'm sad because I have trouble finding shoes in my size, and I especially needed brown ones. Oh, the pain, these both were so cute, I really had a great affection for the alligator pair.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I don't have an Ebay account.I don't have a credit card which can make online purchasing very difficult.(Can you have an ebay account without a credit card?)My mother loves it,though and has found some of my furniture on ebay.
My "ones that got away" are those peices we all run across on occassion that are in mint condition,exactly what we are looking for,but just the wrong size or wrong look.

Daisy Buchanan

Try Paypal, Rubyredlocks

rubyredlocks said:
I don't have an Ebay account.I don't have a credit card which can make online purchasing very difficult.(Can you have an ebay account without a credit card?)My mother loves it,though and has found some of my furniture on ebay.
My "ones that got away" are those peices we all run across on occassion that are in mint condition,exactly what we are looking for,but just the wrong size or wrong look.
You actually do not have to have a credit card to have an e-bay account. You do need a checking account. Most vendors take checks or money orders. I also believe (not 100% sure, but look into it) that you can set up a PayPal account without a credit card. This allows you to pay vendors directly through your bank account. If you have a debit card through your bank, with a mastercard/visa (or other credit name) logo, you can set up a paypal account using that. Just go to Paypal.com to find out exactly what you need. I have an account with Paypal and I use it to make all of my online purchases, they are very secure. So as long as you have a bank account, you should be e-baying in no time.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thank you Daisy! I fear I am in trouble now,lol!
I'll probably soon being adding to this thread,as I'm sure it will take a bit of practice before winning an auction.

Daisy Buchanan

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
decodoll said:
I have that book. The modern 1940s Hairstyles book by Turudich takes most of the information and diagrams from it but leaves a bunch of the text out. Watch www.abe.com. They don't have any copies up right now, but usually you can find a few on there. I got mine from a seller on ABE about a year ago for $30. At the exact same time it was going for $100 on ebay!

Thanks a lot!!! I have gotten me the1940s book though and just wait for it to find its way to me from Austria... But I keepon looking for vintage hair-books anyway :)

Daisy Buchanan

Hope your cat is OK

decodoll said:
Sorry about the delay. I'll send you a pm when I get a chance to copy it. Has been a very strange New Year so far.... spent most of my time and broke the bank at the vet's this week. Never let your cat eat walnuts..... :confused:
I know this doesn't have much to do with lost items on e-bay, but I wanted to say that I hope Decodoll's cat is OK. Being the owner of two very strange cats, I am fully aware of the money that can be spent at the vet, and the lengths we will go to to give them the care they need. Myself and Hemingway Jone's also broke the bank this week at the vet on our 12 year old Dalmatian, Carmina. She spent 2 nights in the intesive care unit due to congestive heart failure. Glad to say she is home now and doing well.
As for losing that hairdressing book, I have recently started a thread (before seeing that you were talking about this here) about how expensive these books can be. Being that I too am looking to come across a reasonably priced vintage hair book, and seeing how difficult this is, I can feel your pain about the loss! This thread sure is a great way to vent our saddness. A saddness that not even a family member just might not understand:cry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass