Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
For hats? Hmm.... well, here's two of my favorite vintage dealers, and they usually have cute hats!

http://www.vintagemartini.com
http://www.woodlandfarmsantiques.com

This is not my Ebay week... just lost this one too :(
cb1p.jpg

cb1r.jpg

cb1s.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Oh Maisie, thank you~thank you~thank you!! You're a doll!

I do have quite a collection and many books on the items and I have never seen this before! WOW. Well, at least if "I" had won it, I would certainly sport it and not lock it up somewhere! ;)

I have a very rare photo of Viv. I unfortunately made a few copies for so-called "friends", and low and behold this photo pops up on ebay now once in a while. I know it's copies of mine because I had cropped it. I have to report it when I see it. The photo is 11x14 and SO amazingly clear. You can literally count her eyelashes. Here's a sneak peek of her face,
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343343030/photo/294928803835815900/3
I always thougth it was funny that she wore two gowns with birds on them. I would love to make a replica of the hat she tries on while in mourning and Mammie catches her~ I think it could be worked into a 40's wardrobe!

If anyone is interested, I have a friend who is supposed to be doing a line of gwtw/viv inspired jewels soon. Also, another friend does incredible museum quality replica gowns from the film if you wanna see! www.gwtw4ever.com

Nikki

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Vanessa said:
Disciplined on ebay? I'm sorry, that's just not computing. :D

I lost this one awhile back, but it still irks me. I desperately wanted this pattern, and bid an outrageous price on it and was outbid by a dollar or two. :rage: I sent the winner a very nice message, asking if there was any way I could pay her to copy it, even a bad copy I'd take. But *ahem* she never answered me.

So. Yes. :rage:

It annoys me when you ask a question about an item and you don't get a reply. I mean don't they want people to bid?

I've had to let alot of things go, due to money. There was this nylon blouse I wanted and when I bid (happened to be at the last minute), my computer went strange, and it didn't process, so I lost the auction. I still don't understand why my computer did that. The blouse ended quite cheap.

Some of the patterns are a bit pricey. I love the Hollywood patterns. Most of the patterns I've won are the Hollywood.

I must admit, I'm getting addicted to ebay.:eek: Love looking to see what's up for auction.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
What a good idea for a topic! It would help ease the loss knowing others have gone through similar situations and can empathize. The most recent loss which quite saddened me was this dress:
1a_1.JPG

As far as I can remember, it was one of those last minuted sneaks too, where I'd been watching it like a hawk and someone got it in something akin to the last 30 seconds of the auction.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I wasn't sure of where exactly to post this, but here goes.
I'm not even bidding on this dress, because it's extremely out of my range, but I have to share it because it really is the most exquisite piece I think I've EVER seen, and I've spent LOTS of time looking at vintage outfits/dresses.

35_1.JPG

75_1.JPG

2e_1.JPG

GOK

One Too Many
I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult, providing you can get the feathers. We have a few ladies here that are far more experienced in millinery matters than I am - perhaps you could start a thread?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I bought one like it from an ebay seller called taissalada.
She makes beautiful feather hair pieces, and she even sent me a bonus feather clip! Here's an example:

whtbeaded1.jpg

minipink2.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
I saw this one with only a little bit of time left. I wish I'd had more time to think about it! I waited, because I wasn't sure how much I wanted it. Now that it's gone forever, I could cry! :(

Camp Bowie compact

102_9764.JPG

Most people in Fort Worth know of Camp Bowie as a large street in the southwest area of the city. A good bit of it is still paved with bricks! However, Camp Bowie was actually an army camp in World War I. As far as I know there's not a remnant of it left. I'm wondering if it was reused or reincarnated during World War II, or if this was merely a reminiscent souvenir of some kind.

Either way, I'm really, really regretting not bidding on it. What are the odds of ever finding one again? :( :( :(

maisie

Practically Family
Sunny said:
I saw this one with only a little bit of time left. I wish I'd had more time to think about it! I waited, because I wasn't sure how much I wanted it. Now that it's gone forever, I could cry! :(

Camp Bowie compact

102_9764.JPG

Most people in Fort Worth know of Camp Bowie as a large street in the southwest area of the city. A good bit of it is still paved with bricks! However, Camp Bowie was actually an army camp in World War I. As far as I know there's not a remnant of it left. I'm wondering if it was reused or reincarnated during World War II, or if this was merely a reminiscent souvenir of some kind.

Either way, I'm really, really regretting not bidding on it. What are the odds of ever finding one again? :( :( :(

Thats a lovely compact, it does look like something from WWII, so maybe there was still an army camp of some sort there then, as well. You do find a few sovenirs from various army camps, like pillow case covers and compacts, so i bet you will find something even better when you're not even looking!!:)

Sunny

One Too Many
maisie said:
Thats a lovely compact, it does look like something from WWII, so maybe there was still an army camp of some sort there then, as well. You do find a few sovenirs from various army camps, like pillow case covers and compacts, so i bet you will find something even better when you're not even looking!!:)

I sure hope so! Thank you. :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Sunny, that is a fantastic compact! I have seen a few Camp Bowie souvenir items over the years. Although the majority of it was WWI rather than WWII, but still, I am sure you will run across something again one day!

Camp Bowie was still active during WWII. I have a piece of V-Mail written from a WAC stationed in NYC to a guy stationed at Camp Bowie, dated 1944! I think CB was an active duty base for the Texas 36th throughout WWII.

(Btw, we are doing Washita January 19-21!)

Kim_B

Practically Family
I am sad to post this...I had my eye on this dress - perfect size, great color...alas, it was not meant to be (because some one just had to call me and I can't do two things at once!)

c76e_1.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
Sunny, that is a fantastic compact! I have seen a few Camp Bowie souvenir items over the years. Although the majority of it was WWI rather than WWII, but still, I am sure you will run across something again one day!

Camp Bowie was still active during WWII. I have a piece of V-Mail written from a WAC stationed in NYC to a guy stationed at Camp Bowie, dated 1944! I think CB was an active duty base for the Texas 36th throughout WWII.

(Btw, we are doing Washita January 19-21!)

Ack, I missed this response! Thanks for the reassurance. It was SO COOL to see something like that from virtually my hometown, and just out of the blue. I'm glad to know it was still active in WWII. What a neat letter!

And we had our winter muster at Ft. Washita December 8-10. It was very good! The weather took a decidedly cool turn, but after last year (snow on the ground, two nights in the single digits) we weren't complaining. lol Hope yours goes as well as ours did.

And Kim, that is so sad. Believe me, I feel your pain! Actually, I have a dress that's not unsimilar to that. Since I've lost weight it's actually a bit big on me. (I was roughly a modern 12 toward 14, now maybe an 8-10 - but these are VERY rough ballpark figures.) If you're interested, I can send you pictures and specifics.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Sunny said:
And Kim, that is so sad. Believe me, I feel your pain! Actually, I have a dress that's not unsimilar to that. Since I've lost weight it's actually a bit big on me. (I was roughly a modern 12 toward 14, now maybe an 8-10 - but these are VERY rough ballpark figures.) If you're interested, I can send you pictures and specifics.

Ooh, that'd be swell, Sunny! I'll PM you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy