Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I really regret not bidding on a beautiful 30s brown coat I saw a couple of years ago in English Ebay.

It was just soooo art Deco, but at that time I thought "Where are you going to wear it? Where are you going to keep it?" as I just did 40s stuff and was living in a really small house.

Now I do loads of 30s events. It still makes me sad! :(

GOK

One Too Many
I got outbid last night on this gem:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300049918835

By one dollar :eek: The really stupid thing is that I forgot the auction was in dollars and put what I thought was pounds into the snipe programme (a necessity for US auctions I find because of the time difference). Had I in fact put the dollar equivalent, I would have won it no problem! :eusa_doh:

So to console myself I just bought this instead:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300046639587&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

It's not really my colour but I have never found a vintage dress in my size before, so I had to have it. I think that come next summer, I may have to rethink my colour scheme to include pink!

Ohairas, I love those photos - thank you for sharing them with us.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have been working for 3 days now to acquire some new hats. a bunch of new ones went up last week on e-bay. i bid on , and lost, all 3 that i was trying to get. One of them was snatched right from under my nose 5 seconds before the auction closed!I immortalize them here:

hatfhplu3.jpg

hatfgree1.jpg

But this one was the real heart breaker last night..went for $59.00..out of my league just now:cry:

hatblaclo3.jpg

hatblaclo4.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel all of your pain. I used snipers to try and win these two dresses, and still lost them due to high prices. It's amazing how much people are paying for vintage these days. Just in the past year, it seems that prices for all things vintage have doubled.

P

Paul

Vintage fashion must be getting a lot more popular ,I do not see any more evidence that more people are wearing original vintage or has it become the antiques of the future and it is been collected and stored away thinking they will make a packet in the future?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Arrrggg.... Vanessa heard me lust after this hat all week and I lost it :( This was the most I've been willing to spend on something for a long time :(
70ad_12.JPG

Miss Sis

One Too Many
ladyk said:
5b_12.JPG

This is my most recent one that got away. I'm heartbroken, but it went for over $200 and I just couldn't stretch quite that far.

I'm almost as upset as when I lost these

76329869_f7b7755c80.jpg

It seems to be getting harder and harder to get hats like these for less than a small fortune.

Wxx

Errrr, I got the hat with the leaves! If it's any consolation, I got lots of comments when I wore it! That was about a year ago now - I guess we ladies have long memories for things we really wanted :)

ladyk

Familiar Face
Lauren said:
Arrrggg.... Vanessa heard me lust after this hat all week and I lost it :( This was the most I've been willing to spend on something for a long time :(
70ad_12.JPG

I was watching that hat too, but after my recent splurge have put myself on an ebay fast. It's a stunner, sorry you missed it!

Miss Sis said:
Errrr, I got the hat with the leaves! If it's any consolation, I got lots of comments when I wore it! That was about a year ago now - I guess we ladies have long memories for things we really wanted :)

Oh I still dream of that hat, nice to know it went to a London lady! Maybe I'll see you in town with it on, and resist the urge to grab it and run ;) You lucky soul.

Some things I never forget. Such as the 1930's dress I recently had to turn down. It was perfect, black with black and white pinstriped huge bow on the back, a fishtail skirt and the cutest tied sleeves. What is worst is that it fit like a dream, as if it had been made for me. But it was £120 and I can't spend that much on a dress when I'm supposed to be on a diet!

But still... *sigh* They're just little unforgettable works of art.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Will you be really mad at me if I tell you I have only worn it once???

It's just that I have so many hats that they all have to wait to be worn with something that is 'just right'!

Here is a terrible picture of me wearing it at the Bluebell railway with a tweedy suit. Not sure why it is so small and I can't change the size.

bluebell-leafhat.jpg

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Wow, just been looking through this thread as I hadn't seen it before. Some of those hats, no actually - ALL of those hats are gorgeous!

I just looked up how to find your hat size. Do you need to take into account how you wear your hair when measuring your size and measure around the actual hair do itself?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Maisie, gwtw shirt???

WOW, it is a shame to see all that we have lost, :(
Too funny that I started another thread like it!

Maisie, did you POSSIBLY save a pic of the gwtw blouse? I would love to see it!!

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
OmG those are cute dresses!
What ticks me off is that Hollywood will buy these vintage items for films, (and probably discard them afterwards, or they lay in a heap on the floor!), and also the high end vintage sellers like Karen Agusta and such who can afford them and then charge double or triple on their sites. GRRRRRR!! :rage:

Nikki

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Miss Sis said:
Just measure round, not too tight about an inch above your ears. I am a 22 (inch) and most hats will fit over your hair, unless they are little 40s perch hats and then it doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks, just done that and I am a 22.5! Do hats come in half sizes? I'll have to buy myself a hat now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy