Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pocket Phone- Cell Phones

Baggers

Practically Family
CdnDandy said:
Another solution? Maybe this shoulder holster? (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/918a/)
I just wonder if it would give you an unsightly bulge under the jacket...

Intriguing. I suppose as long as it doesn't "print" like a concealed weapon through one's jacket you'd be fine. Just don't make any fast moves around a cop. And be d*** certain not to use a ring tone that includes gunshots! lol

Cheers!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Hugh Beaumont said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I use my Pokia Retro Handset with my Motorola Razor:

I get so many compliments and comments when using it. It is definitely a conversation piece and it works great.

lol, in this town if you're seen talking on that, they might think you're a lil bit looney and call in the people in the white jackets.
But this is so cool.
I also like the shoulder holster

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Well, I lived in vegas about two years ago and used it regularly with great results.

Basically, if I carried at least five on me, I could've sold each one. People ALWAYS asked me where I got it.

Edward

Bartender
The Pokias are great. I was going to buy one for my grandmother a few years ago - she always hated tallking on a mobile as it confused her that she couldn't have it next to her mouth and her ear at the same time, bless.... alas she died a few months before Christmas that year.

MB5 said:
Depending on what type of phone you have you may be able to steampunk the housing. Add a short calliope ring-tone if the whimsy would be acceptable and you have a strange combination that results in technology never was.

I've not got the aversion to mobiles that a lot of folks round these parts seem to have. I'm quite happy to use something hi-tech.... what I really want is an iPhone, several generations from now, when they're up to 80gigs odd flash memory, seven MP camera, etc. If they could combine that technology with more of a steampunk aesthetic.... oh, momma - my dream phone.

I also always wanted a mobile that looked exactly like Jim Kirk's communicator.... lol

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Am I missing the thrust of this? What is the perceived problem where to wear the phone or the way the phone looks? Put the danged thing in your pocket. It's smaller-slimer than your wallet. As for any semblance of retro styling I think we're stretching the limits of taste to even imagine there should/could be such a thing.

Baggers

Practically Family
Twitch said:
Am I missing the thrust of this? What is the perceived problem where to wear the phone or the way the phone looks? Put the danged thing in your pocket. It's smaller-slimer than your wallet. As for any semblance of retro styling I think we're stretching the limits of taste to even imagine there should/could be such a thing.

Well said. :eusa_clap

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:

I don't agree. I know it's not likely to occur, but there's no reason some designer couldn't approach the cell phone with a little imagination and give it a vintage look.

Similarly, I've often wished I could have a Mac that evoked, if not outright resembled, a classic tube table radio. Preferably a wooden one.

I'd pay a premium for that.

As for not spoiling one's classic lines by carrying a cell phone, I find my iPhone fits the bill. It's thin and flat enough to sit unobtrusively in the pocket of my jacket or trousers.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Funny this thread came up because I just resigned my cell phone plan and moved from a Treo 650 Smartphone to a Blackberry Curve.

My "vintage" part thought about taking the phone back and getting a small Razr, thinking how the people of 30's would have been AMAZED you could make a phone call from anywhere using a pocket device - let alone surfing the web, taking pics and video, and texting!

The whiz-kid side won though after I used the Curve and love how slim it is and what it can do.It really is tiny compared to the other model of smartphones. But I can even read and post to FL on it. My wife, who first didn't think I should have bought the Treo, agreed I should keep the Curve because we use the Web to find information when we are out and about.

My ringtone (for now) is Elmer Bernstein's great theme for the 1940's based show Ellery Queen. I'm thinking of also importing Benny Goodman's SING SING SING as a ringtone. Of course, it also has an old-fashioned regular telephone ring that can be used. My wallpaper is a cool shot I took of the Chrysler building. That's about as vintage as I can make it.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Not vintage cellphones, but....

maybe a classic, or even classy cellphone?
Razr has one in "gold" as well as "Platinum". I think the gold one comes with a gold keypad too. You can also buy parts for a Razr on ebay so you can change out your, say, silver one into a gold one.
Again, not really retro, but it would give the phone a bit of sophistication.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Got one of these...

It's in my bedroom, now, but when I had it on the dining room wall I thought it was hilarious how much change it took in at parties. I know some very honest drunks.

ACPP09.jpg

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I also always wanted a mobile that looked exactly like Jim Kirk's communicator.... lol

Try the Motorola A1200. About as close as I've seen so far. :)

Image:Motorola_MING_Portrait.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Brian Sheridan said:
. Of course, it also has an old-fashioned regular telephone ring that can be used.

Brian don't go for the old UK bakelite ring because everyone Down Under has it and it is very annoying to hear it in public.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not a cellie that looks like a cigarette case, or for the ladies, a compact? I suspect it's too much of a niche market for anyone to start creating them tho.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Why not a cellie that looks like a cigarette case, or for the ladies, a compact? I suspect it's too much of a niche market for anyone to start creating them tho.

I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran