Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961) Chickenhawk vs Cougar

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I watched the 1961 version of The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone on TCM last night and hated it because it so brilliantly and tragically captured the fears many women of a certain age experience, although most of us aren't wealthy widows. The acting was sensitive and stupendous and the cinematography five stars. (Why can't they make films like this today?)

I think I need therapy now, though.

Certainly attitudes about the desirability of middle aged women has changed. Or have they? In the film, Karen Stone is referred to as a "chicken hawk," the current day version of a "cougar."

This film messed with my mind and I have to digest it all. I love it.

Have you seen it?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Also, if you like to be confronted with fears about fading beauty in middle age, I recommend The Star with Bette Davis. The movie Mr. Skeffington, also with Davis, touches upon the "cougar" issue.

I had until recently heard "chickenhawk" used mostly in reference to gay men who pursue younger fellows. It has since gained currency as something of a political epithet (a "hawk" who never puts himself or his own in harm's way), and as a reference to the Seattle NFL team.

But, thanks to you, PSG, I now know that the term was used to describe women of a certain age who enjoy the company of younger men, and that such usage dates from at least 50 years ago. (Did Tennessee Williams use the term in the novel on which the film is based?)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
That "Not Quite TV Guide" is one of the funniest things ever written. I'm sure I've kept my copy -- I need to go flip through it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80