Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Things Women Will Do...for Beauty

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
Bill Phillips says there is nothing wrong with a steak or a baked potato. BUT, the steak should be lean and shouldn't be fried, and the potato shouldn't be larded up with butter and sour cream. I actually like ketchup and lemon pepper on mine.

Well I'd never fry steak lol but I HAVE to have butter and sour cream (and cheese, and green onions and bacon bits) on my potato!! AHHHH! lol

Mary

Practically Family
You started this tread talking about wrinkles and how to get rid of them simply by taping them overnight. I've never heard of it before and never thought of it. I wonder how many people do it and did it then? What do you think?

I also started to think about the position you sleep in. Do you think you get less wrinkles if you sleep on you back very still like people where told in the good old days. Or was that just about chastity?

M

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I read an article in shape magazine with Heather Locklear stating that she sleeps on her back to keep from getting wrinkles rather than sleeping on your face and such. I sleep any way I'm comfortable.

Caledonia

Practically Family
A silk covered pillow is supposed to save on the wrinkes. Nice and smooth apparently so it doesn't wrinkle under your face, hence no wrinkly face. Not sure I'm buying that one.

I remember my teenage friend in the 70s doing the sellotape thing with her nose. She had a little button nose and thought it was really cute and attractive and wanted to emphasise it. So she taped it up from nose to forehead overnight. I had a shot, but as you can see from my avatar, my nose is stronger than any sellotape is ever going to be! :D

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
aww yes good Ol tape worms will do the trick!
Miss 1929 said:
tapeworms.jpg

jayem

A-List Customer
Just imagine that thing wriggling around inside of you... eek!! :eek:

When I cashiered at KMart, this little old lady would come in almost everyday. She must've been 80, but had the softest, youngest looking hands I had ever seen. One day during checkout, she looked at me and said 'Do you know how I keep my hands so beautiful and soft? I rub yellow mustard on them every night and sleep with white gloves on.' I'll take her word for it.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MUSTARD????

jayem said:

When I cashiered at KMart, this little old lady would come in almost everyday. She must've been 80, but had the softest, youngest looking hands I had ever seen. One day during checkout, she looked at me and said 'Do you know how I keep my hands so beautiful and soft? I rub yellow mustard on them every night and sleep with white gloves on.' I'll take her word for it.
OK, that is just plain weird.
Imagine the way her bedroom smells...

texasgirl

One Too Many
So I just wanted to say Thanks! to KittyT for the Frownies recommendation! I've been using them almost every night for about 3 weeks and I can definitely tell my "frown" line is disappearing! Thanks!!! :)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
jayem said:

I used to use vaseline on my hands and then put mittens on before I went to bed. That practice stopped when my ex-husband said it was like going to bed with Bozo the Clown. :D

just_me

Practically Family
hepkitten said:
When I was in veterinary school, one of our parasitology professors told us with great authority that tapeworms do not cause weight loss. How did she know? She swallowed two for research purposes (which didn't involve seeing if the parasite was a Friend for a Fair Form, but she kept track anyway out of curiosity). Hosted the worms for months, didn't lose an ounce. Now that's dedication to one's career.

She never mentioned if they were sanitized first. lol

This begs the question - how did she get rid of them? Dog wormer? lol

Emer

One of the Regulars
hepkitten said:
Hosted the worms for months, didn't lose an ounce...
She never mentioned if they were sanitized first. lol

Ick! That gives me the heebie jeebies! "Hosting" worms!

LizzieMaine said:

They need to start pumping these thoughts back into the world! I'm sorry but an emaciated movie star being called sexy? [bad] She's not sexy, she's firewood!

Idledame said:
There was a fad in victorian times to put belladonna (also known as deadly nightshade-a very poisonous plant) in their eyes.

I think an episode of CSI actually touched on this. But the person was killed from Belladonna poisoning.

I know someone mentioned it in another post, but didn't women used to sip arsenic because it made their skin more pale? That's definitely an example of "beauty is pain."

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Emer said:
I know someone mentioned it in another post, but didn't women used to sip arsenic because it made their skin more pale? That's definitely an example of "beauty is pain."

Arsenic eating was quite popular with both Victorian women and men. For a while, it was used as a cure-all for illnesses and as a beauty treatment. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner