Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Truth About Where Your Donated Clothes Go

Rosie

One Too Many
I read an article about this a few years ago in the New York Times. It really is a shame. In Brooklyn, there are these huge bins all around asking people to donate their used clothing. I told a few people where their clothing was really going.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I already knew most of this, and I don't have a problem with it. Most of the clothes I donate are worn out, stained, or out of style. They're unsalable. I prefer they be recycled into rags instead of going to waste. The fact that a charity makes some money for this is a good thing.

If I had a lot of great clothes I didn't want, I'd take them to a consignment store.

As for selling used clothes overseas, I assume that Africans buy them because they prefer them to whatever else is available.

GOK

One Too Many
Like anything, there is good and bad associated with this practice. It seems in this instance the good far outweighs the bad, so when all is said and done, why not?

By not donating clothes, we wouldn't be helping anyone and would in fact, be contributing to landfill etc., so at least by donating, yes we might be swelling the coffers of some but at least we are helping others.

Some is generally better than nothing.

As for the argument that it is putting African workers out of business, without looking into it more, I couldn't comment but I'd say that this is an oversimplification and that there are many more contributing factors than just this one.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Always wondered why when there is a picture of a crowd in some Heck-Hole 3rd world Nation that a good number of the individuals were sporting Nike, Addidas, Bank of America, Wachovia and etc. t-shirts.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
GOK said:
so at least by donating, yes we might be swelling the coffers of some but at least we are helping others.

Some of the organizations that collect clothes are charities such as Goodwill, the Salvation Army, Disabled Veterans, ARC (Association of Retarded Persons), etc. Although the less fortunate might not be wearing the clothes you donate, they are benefitting from the funds the clothes generate.

However, some donation bins are for for-profit companies. The bins look suspiciously similar to the charitable ones.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
GOK said:
As for the argument that it is putting African workers out of business, without looking into it more, I couldn't comment but I'd say that this is an oversimplification and that there are many more contributing factors than just this one.

When clothing factories started up in the U.S., they put a lot of home seamstresses out of business. However, the change enabled people to buy their clothes for less money.

The Civil War in the U.S. put a lot of British cotton mill workers out of jobs, but (as I recall) helped cotton workers in India.

Overseas clothing factories have put a lot of American factories out of business. Again though, clothes became cheaper for everyone.

Industries come and go in this world. The textile workers who are out of jobs have my sympathy, but without change, there would be no progress.

GOK

One Too Many
Paisley said:
When clothing factories started up in the U.S., they put a lot of home seamstresses out of business. However, the change enabled people to buy their clothes for less money.

The Civil War in the U.S. put a lot of British cotton mill workers out of jobs, but (as I recall) helped cotton workers in India.

Overseas clothing factories have put a lot of American factories out of business. Again though, clothes became cheaper for everyone.

Industries come and go in this world. The textile workers who are out of jobs have my sympathy, but without change, there would be no progress.

Well said! :eusa_clap

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I see no problem with this. Don't forget that those charity shops still need to pay rent and pay employees. I shop at secondhand stores all the time, and I admit openly to sometimes reselling things I find- where do you think a lot of your vintage clothing comes from? The sellers are out picking up things at thrift stores and estate sales! If anything, they're also helping American economy by helping the "vintage" small business owners to make money. Besides, that 10% that they claim is donated to charity is 10% more than would be donated if they were not in existance.

If you really care that the needy are going to get your clothing I suggest getting a group together and going and distributing them yourselves. People I know have taken clothing to Skid Row or down to Mexico to people in need. If we don't want to come into contact with the poor ourselves, then we really have no reason to complain.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
We are encouraged to give to charity so that we can claim a deduction on our tax returns too. We all win a little bit. It just sucks that others win more on our clothing than we do.

LadyPowers

Familiar Face
In the beginning, I donated old or barely worn clothes to St. Vincent de Paul, and other charities. I started caring where it went because I worked hard to pay for those clothes. I heard some people complain about not everyone has the extra money to buy second hand goods. I asked some friends of mine if they could use certain items. This past year, I gave away carload of clothes and misc. to friends. The first choice went to friends, and St. Vincent de Paul got the rest (four or five car loads). Whatever that is not usable are rags. I even have friends that want rags from me.

I joined a group that gives away clothing or any other item totally free. For instance, I gave away some of my son's used newborn baby clothes and new diapers to a stranger.

Regards,
Lady Powers

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have had jobs and contacts that put me in touch with the working poor, also those on disability or limited incomes. I am a big woman and most thrift shops are happy to get my clothes, not too many 2X or above in those places. However, I preferred to contact friends who knew of folks in need.

Several years ago, I purged my closet of a small wardrobe and asked our housekeeper/caregiver, if she wanted any of it or if she knew anyone who could use the clothes. Turns out, she had a friend on a limited income who had just experienced a fire in her apartment building and lost everything but what she was wearing. She was size 2X.

Believe me, there is nothing more satisfying in the world than to get a phone call on Christmas afternoon from a happy, tearful woman telling you that you just made her Christmas, and her year, and thanking you profusely for all the clothes she received.

karol

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Once I donate my used, old clothing to a charity, I couldn't care less what happens to them, whether they're sold or given, kept here in the US or sent to Africa. If I cared to put in the effort and time, I'm sure I could sell the items too, for pennies on the dollar just like the people in the story.

I don't.

As long as it benefits a charity, it's all good.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I live in a very small town and I donate my clothes to a thrift store in the town that I work in (another small town also) I know the lady that runs it and I feel good donating there because I shop there and I see me stuff hanging on the racks for sale. :eek:fftopic: Lately I have been finding some really good vintage finds in there also.

Brooksie

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:

That statement is prediacted on the assumption that progress is positive. It is possible to have progress with negative effects.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Do you remember the ad where there were three guys on a prairie and two of them were wearing bushes as loin cloths and one was wearing pants? One of the two bush-wearers said, "I'd like to wear pants." I'd have said the same thing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy