Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Umbrella

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was an article in my local newspaper about men who carry umbrellas. I can't, for the life of me. find it on line but what the (male) journalist was implying is that it's somewhat effete for a man to carry such an accessory. Seriously?

You both look very sharp. Beautiful umbrellas.

First, an admission: When it is raining, I frequently carry an umbrella. It’s very practical. A well made umbrella is a thing of beauty.

THAT having been said, In more than one foreign policy class at university we were instructed that world leaders and diplomats should never carry umbrellas. Why? Because Neville Chamberlain loved the things and, thanks to Munich, the umbrella has become a firmly established symbol of APPEASEMENT. From that, it is only a short jump to "real men don’t appease, therefore real men don’t use umbrellas." Silly, but there you have it. As a matter of fact, U.S. Marines (the male kind) are explicitly prohibited from carrying umbrellas.

It's a funny old world.

https://washingtoncitypaper.com/article/196250/does-the-umbrella-represent-political-weakness/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...umbrella-scandal-folded-it-could-take/315117/

Chamberlain Umbrella.jpg

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny, I joined German Navy and haven’t seen anyone around there with an umbrella, that’s what respective clothing is supplied for.
And i have to confess even in worst weather and high sea or on guard duty for hours in the rain I didn’t really miss one.

Though i find a well made, gentlemanly umbrella can be a very attractive accessory I could just still not imagine to carry one.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
First, an admission: When it is raining, I frequently carry an umbrella. It’s very practical. A well made umbrella is a thing of beauty.
THAT having been said, In more than one foreign policy class at university we were instructed that world leaders and diplomats should never carry umbrellas. Why? Because Neville Chamberlain loved the things and, thanks to Munich, the umbrella has become a firmly established symbol of APPEASEMENT. From that, it is only a short jump to "real men don’t appease, therefore real men don’t use umbrellas." Silly, but there you have it. As a matter of fact, U.S. Marines (the male kind) are explicitly prohibited from carrying umbrellas.
It's a funny old world.
Indeed it is, your post intrigued me, I've done a little delving and found that Chamberlain was in a sort of damned if he did, damned if he didn't situation. What I have uncovered is quite long but easy readable, it would be better to put the whole thing in the WW2 forum, however: https://www.historynet.com/sympathy-for-the-neville.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner