Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that make you smile

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Returning home
055715c975391ef0187c8b554f02db28.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Bet it smells nice too!
I love going out and getting away from it all! :)

Lovely :).
View attachment 99834
Fashion in the 1940s while looking for Superman.

I know I've said this before, but the clothes that "regular" women wore in the '40s ('30s and '50s) look great even today, but the "fashionable" clothes of the upper classes of those eras look completely foolish today. Not the best examples, but the below all came up in an image search for "women's clothes 1940s."

Most could work or, with some tweaking, could still work today (the way men's suits of the era could still work with some slight tweaking today). But the high-end fashion stuff women wore back then look crazy (with, as always, some exceptions).

images-9.jpeg Andante-club-members-1949.jpg thereadbaron.blogspot.com_-_suits-300x241.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I know I've said this before, but the clothes that "regular" women wore in the '40s ('30s and '50s) look great even today, but the "fashionable" clothes of the upper classes of those eras look completely foolish today. Not the best examples, but the below all came up in an image search for "women's clothes 1940s."

Most could work or, with some tweaking, could still work today (the way men's suits of the era could still work with some slight tweaking today). But the high-end fashion stuff women wore back then look crazy (with, as always, some exceptions).

View attachment 99894 View attachment 99895 View attachment 99899

I recall photos of my mom when she was a young gal wearing her long hair like Lizzie.
She would pin a flower to her hair.
If the gal was single and available she
would pin it on one side. Married or
not available would be on the other side.
Her dresses were similar looking to the
ones Lizzie wears sometimes with the flowers or tiny designs all over
and big buttons.
The social dresses she wore had square
padding on the shoulders like Joan Crawford wore in the '40s.
Thanks to you for noticing the details
on the photo which took me back to my mom when she was a young girl.
And to LM and her dress style which I
admire very much.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Pretty much the only fashion designer of the 30s/40s I like is Elizabeth Hawes, who was revolutionary in her belief that clothing above all else must be practical. As Fading knows from having read "Fashion Is Spinach," she firmly believed that high-end fashion was a racket -- something she knew about firsthand from having been a participant in it, making garments to order for a clientele she dismissed as "les riches bitches." Even her "couture" stuff was designed first off with an eye toward practicality and a minimum of obnoxious fussy details. She was a voice crying in the wilderness, especially after the war when the hideous frilled monstrosity that was the New Look flounced across the land, but she never gave in to commercial forces.

Pretty much the only fashion designer of the 30s/40s I like is Elizabeth Hawes, who was revolutionary in her belief that clothing above all else must be practical. As Fading knows from having read "Fashion Is Spinach," she firmly believed that high-end fashion was a racket -- something she knew about firsthand from having been a participant in it, making garments to order for a clientele she dismissed as "les riches bitches."...
This brings to mind days long ago spent "shopping" on Melrose Avenue here in southern California with my wife. I use quotation marks around the word "shopping" because no purchases were made; initially it was a case of curiosity, but soon became a case of ridicule. The "boutique" shops that lined Melrose in those days were filled with ridiculously overpriced goods which exhibited such shoddy workmanship that the folks at Walmart and Target would have been embarrassed to sell them--loose and/or untrimmed threads, improperly matched seams, loose or missing buttons, sleeves of unintentionally different lengths on the same garment, and so on. And the fabrics used were so thin that I can't imagine they would have withstood even the gentlest of laundering processes more than a few times. Truly a case of clothing for people with more money than brains. That was approximately three decades ago and we haven't been since, but I imagine nothing has changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy