Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about a tattoo, but is it what good girls did in the 1940's?

britishink

New in Town
The pleasure is all mine.

If you require an original period design I can supply a host of ideas as can the lovely Cynroux. Remember European an American designs differed greatly in style at that time.

Tikismall

New in Town
I got my first tattoo when I was 15.
I now have a lot more and I love vintage style to match!

Some people think that my tattoos do not "go" with my clothes but I don't really care what most other people say. I like dressing up and if that doesn't make sense to others then...sucks to be them! lol!

People do treat you different sometimes, different generations have ideas about women and tattoos that aren't exactly fun to deal with when you're out and about. I do get annoyed by some of the stupid comments people have made, but that is just one of the realities of being a tattooed lady.

They're just stuck in generalizations about others and that makes for a boring society if you ask me!

shotfive.jpg

Odalisque

A-List Customer
britishink said:
Feast your eyes and ears on this, Ladies, I give you Professor George Burchett

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vh0e1CNxY7U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vh0e1CNxY7U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

"Show a leg"

What a hussy! :p

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Read most of the thread and wanted to add that I have 8 tattoos. Now alot of people might think that is kind of crazy but honestly they are tasteful. Most are small, my largest being the cluster of stars on my lower back. I made sure that I got them in places that you wouldn't notice them or would be completely out of sight simply because I have a job where tattoos simply do not fly. The ones you can see are on my feet(only the left foot being noticable), shoulder, and left wrist. So, if you want tattoos I would say go for it. But if it conflicts with your job, like mine does, just get it out of plain sight.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
What is a good way to test whether one is allergic to the ink? That is what I am most worried about because I have sensitive skin. I have been pondering one or more a long time but I want the art not just to get marked up.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Viola said:
What is a good way to test whether one is allergic to the ink? That is what I am most worried about because I have sensitive skin. I have been pondering one or more a long time but I want the art not just to get marked up.

Viola, honestly out of all the tattoos I have I never got tested for them. Wasn't really smart on my end considering I am allergic to pretty much everything, but I never had a problem.

What one of my friends did thought, was go into the shop she was going to get a tattoo at and had them tattoo a small dot behind her ear. Nothing happened so she got a tattoo and it turned out great.

Usually the artist will work with you over your concerns and go over everything. If not, then you prob don't want to get one from them.

Emer

One of the Regulars
I have 3 tattoos. I'm not a purist vintage girl, however, nor am I rockabilly. I agree with what others have been saying--you can pull of any look even with a tattoo. I have one on each foot and one on my lower back. They are all in areas where they can be covered. Plus, if you had an event where you needed to be a little more authentic, you could always use make-up to cover them!

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
I think the best advice for deciding to get a tattoo has been said many times now, wait a bit and really think it through!

That being said, I think we really have two different types of folks here posting... those who wear vintage/dress vintage for their own enjoyment, and those who do for historical recreation. While neither approach is wrong, I think it's very important to consider your own involvement when it comes to a tattoo.

Personally, I do historical recreation, and really, not many areas of my body are always covered, nor would most of the people of the past I portray have had a tattoo (not to mention my fear of needles wielded by other people, yikes!) Also personally, I had several piercings when I was younger that I have let close to more accurately portray someone of the past. I also have one I have no desire to let close (strong personal memory) and two that *won't*, and I am aware that all of these are compromises to my historical portrayals... but I wouldn't let them bother me at all on days that I'm just dressing vintage for my own enjoyment!

analiebe

A-List Customer
as i've already written a reply in the "incongruencies of body art thread" i won't repeat myself here but truly its bizarre to me to think that there is a view that tattoos and an "authentic" vintage look are incongruent... after all sir winston chuchills MOTHER had a snake tattooed around her wrist and (maybe i'm wrong) but i don't think she was considered a "bad girl"...

the famous george burchett with a lady client 1928
george_burchett.jpg

japanese geisha being tattooed 1937
Japanese-Tattoo-Artist.jpg

brixtol babe circa 1960
bristol_england1960stattoing.jpg

it is today just as it was then... a purely personal preference, and ultimately will be as "authentic" to your look now as it was way back when...

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Loved reading along with the debate! I'm one of the few of my friends who doesn't have multiple tattoos. They've all sworn they're going to change that. I know exactly what I want if I get one (to avoid doing something very stupid after a few drinks or with a spur of the moment decision.) Unfortunately, having it all thought out, no situation to take the plunge has presented itself.

Still, I love the look of tats and vintage, and maybe I'll join your ranks one of these days!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I have a tattoo and I am not rockabilly, or I don't think I am. I am getting a new one soon too. Both will be on my upper thigh. Like others have mentioned I think it can be done tastefully, and in a way that it won't take away from your vintage look at all. Actually if you look at Cynroux she has lots of them and she is still fabulously vintage, she is also who did mine. Look into vintage types of tattoo or art from that time. I like to pull from art styles from around that time I think that helps the vintage feel too.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I want a tattoo of flowers and/or leaves but I am still debating color/style so I am still at the very preliminary planning stage. I am naturally a waffly sort of person and I want it to be something I love forever.

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
My best friend has this one (only bigger and nicely shaded), as originally modeled by Kiki de Montparnasse, Man Ray's girlfriend/muse in the early 1900s.
manray_ingres_violin.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails