Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is the Type A-1 for which I've been waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I've been in extensive discussions with Platon at Bill Kelso to work up a Type A-1 design and they have now released the first production version (http://www.billkelsomfg.com/3d/a-1/).

This is a size 40 in seal brown Victory capeskin and, having handled the leather, it's very nice indeed (good drape, good hand and an excellent colour/grain). BK have posted some images on VLJF:

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

and more on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.609039689126326.1073741895.540638042633158&type=3

I'm opting for the same jacket but with a single buttoned collar and buttoned waistband (sadly in a larger size) :eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
Looks nice. What exactly is capeskin? Is it really soft, like lamb, or more akin to the midweight hides commonly used for the A2?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
This one is from true capeskin I believe (I.e. Domestic South African).
It's also of a good weight and irregular grain, just like the originals.

majormajor

One Too Many
I've been in extensive discussions with Platon at Bill Kelso to work up a Type A-1 design and they have now released the first production version (http://www.billkelsomfg.com/3d/a-1/).

This is a size 40 in seal brown Victory capeskin and, having handled the leather, it's very nice indeed (good drape, good hand and an excellent colour/grain). BK have posted some images on VLJF:

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

and more on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.609039689126326.1073741895.540638042633158&type=3

I'm opting for the same jacket but with a single buttoned collar and buttoned waistband (sadly in a larger size) :eusa_doh:

TWO (count 'em) posts from the OP re NEW BK jackets......

When I do that, the word SHILL tends to get used.

Perish the thought:D;)

PS. the pockets look like they are falling off the bottom of the jacket........AWFUL....

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
The pockets are meant to look like that. Period correct.

So they were ALWAYS wrongly placed???[huh]

Give me ONE good reason why a design faux pas should be repeated.... ("period correct" doesn't count.....):D;)

EDIT: Thinking about this, I have seen LOADS of A1s without this odd pocket placement - were they ALL incorrect????

Last edited:
Why should they be considered "wrongly" placed? (on this, or original, examples)

The only bearing that placement of pockets has, other than aesthetics, is functionality. On a very short jacket like the A-1 is supposed to be, placing the pockets as low as possible could be considered optimal for functionality. It's just an adaptation of a pre-existing, very common workwear jacket style, after all.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Er - because it looks crap? IMHO.........

I beg to disagree. The placement of the pockets is correct for this G&F A1 contract. Does the word "crap" really need to be used on this forum ?

It's great to see BK offering a capeskin A1 and thereby giving worthy competition to ELC and GW.

majormajor

One Too Many
I actually agree (I'm not really a fan of the A-1 in its USAAF form), but see edits above …

I like 'em, but that's beside the point.

If "functionality" was more important than style, then few of us would be here...... we'd all be wearing hi-vis donkey jackets::eeek:
I guess the guy on the right bought his from Primark ( in the "correctly positioned pocket" section.....):D;)

83o5.jpg

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
I beg to disagree. The placement of the pockets is correct for this G&F A1 contract.

So buy a crappy (there is it again, Andrew) jacket, JUST because it is period correct? Yeah, right. Makes perfect sense.

The other BK jacket posted tonite looks very cool, but sorry Mr Falzon - move the pockets on this one:eusa_doh:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
TWO (count 'em) posts from the OP re NEW BK jackets......

Actually there are four ...count 'em...(Type A-1, D pocket, Waldo Pepper, and AN-J-3). All have come up on VLJF and Facebook and might be of interest on this forum.

When I do that, the word SHILL tends to get used.

Don't make me laugh...

As I said previously, I have a particular interest in the Type A-1 as I've been involved in the development of the jacket so I'm delighted to see it come to fruition. Does that make me a shill? If so, I couldn't give a monkey's...
And if that's how you feel, you can always choose to ignore the posts...

PS. the pockets look like they are falling off the bottom of the jacket........AWFUL....

Yes, they are low - but that's the way they were (unless you were a USN aviator).
Awful? Not in my view, but then again, if you don't want one, don't buy it...

majormajor

One Too Many
Yes, they are low - but that's the way they were (unless you were a USN aviator).
Awful? Not in my view, but then again, if you don't want one, don't buy it...

That's my point - I would buy one - but not with daft "ooh I promise you - someone REALLY put pockets this low!!" styling.....:eeek:;)

majormajor

One Too Many
As I said previously, I have a particular interest in the Type A-1 as I've been involved in the development of the jacket ...

FREAKY - so tell me, just how do you feel that YOU have been involved in the development of a design that was COMPLETED in the the 1920's. Pardon my French - but that is utter self ingratiating boll*x.

Copying a pre-existing design does not involve "development".......Hello??[huh]

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
That's my point - I would buy one - but not with daft "ooh I promise you - someone REALLY put pockets this low!!" styling.....:eeek:;)

Well MM, if you want the high pockets then this is the capeskin USN 37J1.
Not for me (the torso is relatively short so higher pockets upset the balance), but some people like them.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
[huh]
FREAKY - so tell me, just how do you feel that YOU have been involved in the development of a design that was COMPLETED in the the 1920's. Pardon my French - but that is utter self ingratiating boll*x.

Copying a design does not involve "development".......Hello??[huh]

Oh, take a step back MM, have a drink and stop taking the piss.
Real examples of A-1 jackets are as rare as wit in this thread, so (oh why bother? I teach for a living, but truly I give up here...).

Move along, nothing to see here, buy an Aero, buy an Aero...

Happy now? [huh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen