Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is the Type A-1 for which I've been waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get how all these threads go this way.[huh]

"Crap"? Come on. For all one can argue back and forth about aesthetics (it's a hobby of mine), I can be pretty sure this particular jacket isn't going to be "crap".

Regarding pocket placement with the lower seam of the pocket congruent with the seam attaching the leather to the waistband. I wish I had access to an original and more pictures of originals. I'm pretty sure they were placed where they were to minimise the work/thread used in securing the pocket to the jacket. That lower seam could just be stitched in one continuous seam from front to front, securing the bottom of the pocket in the process. A small amount of labour saved, perhaps, but every little helps.

An aside: I find that the pockets on A2 jackets are placed too high to be truly functional (I fit well into original size 36 A2s). It would be made just slightly less awkward to get into them by having either bigger pockets (My favoured solution - I have no idea why A-1 and A-2 pockets are so damned small!) or lowering them slightly towards the waist.

Last edited:
Very clearly "the jacket" refers to the involvement of Dr H in the development of this particular Bill Kelso model (whether that be in hides/threads/stitch-length, whatever), not the development of a style of jacket with basic fronts and two patch pockets.

FREAKY - so tell me, just how do you feel that YOU have been involved in the development of a design that was COMPLETED in the the 1920's. Pardon my French - but that is utter self ingratiating boll*x.

Copying a pre-existing design does not involve "development".......Hello??[huh]

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_doh:
FREAKY - so tell me, just how do you feel that YOU have been involved in the development of a design that was COMPLETED in the the 1920's. Pardon my French - but that is utter self ingratiating boll*x.

Copying a pre-existing design does not involve "development".......Hello??[huh]

MM, am I missing something? Are you the same poster who took such delight in claiming credit for rearranging the pockets/recolouring the Aeronaught released by Aero, derived from a 1920's original? ... Hello?? [huh]

majormajor

One Too Many
Yes, in HE - any other stereotypes that you can offer?

No, my friend. You have sufficed in fitting in perfectly with the level of pomp that I know certain folks can aspire to. You must get vertigo on such a high plane:D;)

PS. I still think (despite the views of folks obviously far superior to me) that the positioning of those pockets is SH*T:eeek::D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
:eusa_doh:

MM, am I missing something? Are you the same poster who took such delight in claiming credit for rearranging the pockets/recolouring the Aeronaught released by Aero, derived from a 1920's original? ... Hello?? [huh]

No..... I'm just the guy who bought one. NO such claims have EVER been made by me. I played around with designs suggested by other FLer's. Show me where I claimed "credit".

I guess READING & UNDERSTANDING wasn't part your "teacher training".......:D;)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
No, my friend. You have sufficed in fitting in perfectly with the level of pomp that I know certain folks can aspire to. You must get vertigo on such a high plane:D;)

PS. I still think (despite the views of folks obviously far superior to me) that the positioning of those pockets is SH*T:eeek::D;)

MM, I get it now...you don't like the pockets?? Then don't buy the jacket, it's your prerogative.
Along with nick123, I think they've done an excellent job in recreating the A-1.
If you want to rush to adopt the low ground and have the last word that's also fine, but the inverted snobbery isn't very convincing IMHO.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
No..... I'm just the guy who bought one. NO such claims have EVER been made by me. I played around with designs suggested by other FLer's. Show me where I claimed "credit".

I guess READING & UNDERSTANDING wasn't part your "teacher training".......:D;)

Well, I guess that if it's in capitals it must be important??

I'm in HE so haven't received teacher training, but I'm a Reader, so I guess I have the first part sorted?

Now, just need to apply myself to the understanding bit...

majormajor

One Too Many
I think they've done an excellent job in recreating the A-1.

So do I, except for the pockets!

OK, so someone else did it in the past. History ( as I am SURE you know, being a teacher, an' all.....) is full of folks who made mistakes.

A number of other companies (GW, ELC, Aero et al) got the pockets in a sensible place.

So Mr Falzon wants to pick the ONE design example that puts them in a stupid place.

Fair enough.

As you say - if we (the buyers) don't like it, then we shouldn't buy it.

I'm sure Mr Falzon will be happy that you gave us that advice:D;)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
So do I, except for the pockets!

OK, so someone else did it in the past. History ( as I am SURE you know, being a teacher, an' all.....) is full of folks who made mistakes.

A number of other companies (GW, ELC, Aero et al) got the pockets in a sensible place.

So Mr Falzon wants to pick the ONE design example that puts them in a stupid place.

Fair enough.

As you say - if we (the buyers) don't like it, then we shouldn't buy it.

I'm sure Mr Falzon will be happy that you gave us that advice:D;)

Thank you for your sage advice, I for one am humbled by it. :D;)

Although, if you look at the ELC and GW versions of the A-1 that I've posted previously (and the most recent Superior Flight Apparel/Norshor Leather, Real McCoys and Buzz Rickson) there are placed on the same stitch line; Aero do indeed put them higher in line with A-2 pockets.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
DR H, To bring this thread back on track a bit, are these jackets currently available? the BK website makes no mention of these new designs.

majormajor

One Too Many
DR H, To bring this thread back on track a bit, are these jackets currently available? the BK website makes no mention of these new designs.

Ni they are not, my friend.

What we are seeing are "developments". It's a big word, but hopefully we can manage the intellectual massiveness of that .....:D;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart