Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Original. It's all I've ever known, and I don't see any reason to change.

Glass-front kitchen cabinet doors or tongue-in-groove kitchen cabinet doors?

(I'm with you on the flannel-lining.)

We did both types of cabinet doors in our kitchen we just finished renovating (and had a heck of a time finding a millworker to do tongue in groove).

If I had to choose just one, I guess tongue in groove as you need some cabinets where you can "hide" your messy stuff. We have our off-white every day (and only) china in the glass front ones - looks nice and takes the guess work out of where to find it.

Flush inset or overlay kitchen drawers and cabinet doors?

Our flush-inset glass doors (pre stocking with plates):

And our flush-inset, tongue-in-groove ones:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Original. It's all I've ever known, and I don't see any reason to change.

Glass-front kitchen cabinet doors or tongue-in-groove kitchen cabinet doors?

The next to last kitchen that I built had grooved cabinet doors.

My most recent kitchen project has glass in most of the doors. The cabinets stay neater.

Flush drawers. Not all that difficult to build - IF - one does not insist upon using modern patent drawer glides.

Last edited:
The next to last kitchen that I built had grooved cabinet doors.

My most recent kitchen project has glass in most of the doors. The cabinets stay neater.

Flush drawers. Not all that difficult to build - IF - one does not insist upon using modern patent drawer glides.

That is exactly how ours are built and we had to stand our ground as the millworker wanted to put the sliders on - "everyone has them, it's much nicer, easier..." We held out and love the drawers - feel period appropriate. I have a built in cabinet in my closet that was probably built in the '30s or '40s that has flush inset no sliders drawers / it's nice to echo that in the kitchen.

We could always tell what drawer was being opened by the sound of the squeak it made. High pitched squeak -- junk drawer. Low pitched squeak -- drawer with the mouse trap in it.

The cabinet in my bedroom closet has several drawers and cabinet panels and each one has its own "personality:" both in noise they make - a squeak, a rubbing sound, etc. and the degree of difficulty one has opening them - must tug this one, first push in to pull out that one and have to apply all body weight to pull out the middle one, etc. It's crazy, but that's part of what I love, part of what makes a house a home.

Even our new kitchen, because it was built the old way already has some personalty versus the perfectly smooth sliders of new (they even make them today where you just push a little and the drawer slides the full way - not my thing, but impressive to see). This summer's humidity has amped up the personality issues as a few drawers already need some extra effort to move. All fun to us. Also, less that can break. Our drawers are a simple wood box sliding in a wood box frame - no metal sliders with plastic rollers to break.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Lentil soup.

When pea soup is served, I always think of the lady who changed her soup order in the diner, and the waitress's call back to the kitchen: "Hold the Chicken and make it Pea!"

And I want a glass of milk, it shouldn't smell from herring. O. K. One glazele mikch from herring it don't smell!

Peerless Quartet or American Quartet?

A Public Service Notice from Fading Fast:

"This or That" will move forward when Vitanola respond as only he has the early recondite Golden Era knowledge necessary to respond to Lizzie's obscure (but apropos of this Forum) post. It is possible that a volley of early 1900s entertainment "this or thats" will then take place between those two before something break us out to more middle-brow topics like "shrimp or lobster," or "phillips head or flat head screws" when usual play can then resume.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Duncan Sisters.

To Fading Fast:
I don’t consider myself in the same league as the two you have mentioned.
And if I have a vague idea,
I owe it mostly to TCM.

The other night, there was a special on Jean Harlow.
There was a song played which was from that time period.
I like the sound but there was no credit given.
I went on the “search engine” and found it.

Boswell Sisters or Three X Sisters?

To 2Jakes and all, I was really just trying to have fun as sometimes Lizzie and Vitanola get into really arcane stuff, but of course, many of you have incredible knowledge as well. I, on the other hand, have a surface knowledge of this stuff at best - to wit, I know of neither of the two Sister teams 2 Jakes references above.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
To 2Jakes and all, I was really just trying to have fun as sometimes Lizzie and Vitanola get into really arcane stuff, but of course, many of you have incredible knowledge as well. I, on the other hand, have a surface knowledge of this stuff at best - to wit, I know of neither of the two Sister teams 2 Jakes references above.

Rereading what I wrote, I can understand.
I should have added ;) to my reply to indicate that it was all in fun as well.

The reason I mentioned the two sister teams is because of movies like
“Paper Moon” and “O Brother Where Art Thou”.
These films include original tunes from a time period before I was born.
I usually follow up after watching the movie by exploring & learning
of a particular artist that I like from that era.

btw:
“Arcane stuff”??? :confused:

From LizzieMaine??? :(

You is in deep heap of trouble....:D

Boswell Sisters or Hamilton Sisters? (aka, Three X-sisters)

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Fricasee, because the word itself is funny. I know a young man named Fricke, and his nickname is "Frickasee."

Duncan Sisters or Keller Sisters and Lynch?
I must put my oar in. Keller Sisters & Lynch, for Bill Challis himself laughed at my youthful appreciation of their vocal refrain on "Sunday", besides which Vivian and Rosetta cold not swing if they were hanging from a rope.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled "This or That":

Rereading what I wrote, I can understand.
I should have added ;) to my reply to indicate that it was all in fun as well.

The reason I mentioned the two sister teams is because of movies like
“Paper Moon” and “O Brother Where Art Thou”.
These films include original tunes from a time period before I was born.
I usually follow up after watching the movie by exploring & learning
of a particular artist that I like from that era.

btw:
“Arcane stuff”??? :confused:

From LizzieMaine??? :(

You is in deep heap of trouble....:D

Boswell Sisters or Hamilton Sisters? (aka, Three X-sisters)

Boswell Sisters, of course!

Green and Cream or Red and White kitchens?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

Duncan Sisters:

Keller Sisters & Lynch :

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Green and cream. Cream hides the grease stains better.

Get down on your knees and scrub every bit of dirt off the kitchen floor, or adjust your glasses and figure if you can't see it standing up, who cares.

My solution was to put (cheap, surplus at 40 cents per square foot) commercial red and tan quarry tile on the floor. It is period appropriate, doesn't show every speck of dirt, and (since i also installed a floor drain when building the kitchen) can be flooded with hot water and washing soda so that even heavy grease and dirt can be washed away with a string mop and a squeegee.

Not quite a kitchen that flushes, but close.

Oh, and with MY knees, I'd just let my eyeglasses hang from their string. The knees were the reason that I insist on an antique "cabinet range" with a high oven.

Burlap and batten or expensive wood paneling in the dining room?

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^
Burlap.

A PUBLIC SERVICE NOTICE FROM 2JAKES:

Moving it down temporarily so that Fading Fast can reply if he likes
and have fun with it, afterwards the arcane stuff may resume if they
so choose. :D

Bermuda or carpet grass?

Last edited:

Forum statistics